Ezzy

DonF
GDF Junkie

Ezzy

Post by DonF » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:22 am

You said that birds flown somewhere else can be resettled. Folks seem to have different opinion's on that. When I got mine I though that once I got them on a nest, I could start flying them. Well folks on a pigeon site told me I would probably lose them, especially as the origional loft is only about 20 mi away. Now I'm thinking, seeing as I've got a good start, on trying letting them go. Would like them to come back but when I resettle ferals I don't get them all back either unless they are on nest's. What do you think? Would you fly them?

I guess all I'd really have to lose is a few birds I couldn't use anyway. But it would open me up to being able to seperate rooster's and hens without a new building. I'm sitting here talking myself into it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Ezzy

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:35 am

Your thought process is exactly like mine. Look at the lesser of the problems and I would rather lose a bird at this stage as to build a new loft and I hate to keep captive birds. I had ten mated pairs I bought several years ago and finally turned them loose while feeding babies and I lost one. But I;m in the dilema again as I just got ten younger birds out of some of the elite birds in the country and as much as I don't want to keep them seperate I think I will till I get a years production out of them at least. In this case I hope at least they are worth more than building another loft. But in your case I think I wiould let them go ehn you think they have the most reason to come back.

I have sold birds that are 4 or 5 years old and people have been able to keep most of them after just s short time but on nests or feeding.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 am

I got a 2 groups of older birds from Ezzy this summer at different times and a group of young birds just a little while ago and have only lost 2 from the older birds they were all sitting on nests or feeding young except for the 2 I lost they were a pair that left.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks you guys. I'm gonna start flying them and see what happens. It was hard to believe they would be much different than my ferals.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:11 pm

I bought several kill birds this summer from a guy who raises racing pigeons and he told me they wouldnt home, prior to building my coop i just had them in a big wire cage in our horse barn. I use my birds about 1/2mile from my house and actually had several of them that I cought with a net standing on top of my wire cage at feeding time. they wouldnt hang around long, if I didn't get em cought pretty quick they would be gone but they came back and once I got my coop up they continue to home.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:29 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:I bought several kill birds this summer from a guy who raises racing pigeons and he told me they wouldnt home, prior to building my coop i just had them in a big wire cage in our horse barn. I use my birds about 1/2mile from my house and actually had several of them that I cought with a net standing on top of my wire cage at feeding time. they wouldnt hang around long, if I didn't get em cought pretty quick they would be gone but they came back and once I got my coop up they continue to home.

Jim
Have no idea what he thought homers would do. Two things we breed for and No. 1 is homing ability and No.2 speed and endurance on the wing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:26 am

Don,
First off, yes I'm following you (though I've been here about a year). Second, I just moved about 25 miles down the road. I have successfully started flying all 6 birds I was flying at my old place. I let them setter 2-3 weeks, then started them with all the ybs I received from Scott. We will be moving to a mile toss soon. I guess we will see!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks KI. You heard anything from Scott?I like the guy, he's a hoot!