Year old Setter

Croix

Year old Setter

Post by Croix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 am

Had my 1 year old Setter out this past weekend. Had 9 points/flushes sat and 7 points/flushes Sunday. I write points/flushes because he pauses for a split second then bumps them. After the flush he let's put a little excitment yelp??

We didn't shoot at any of the flushes.

Any suggestions to keep him on the right track. He ranges and listens well. I couldn't be more happy so far. Thanks in advance.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Year old Setter

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Are these wild birds? Are they flying away so he does not catch them? If so, the light may come on that he cant move or else they will fly away. Thus making him point longer. Once he points long enough for you to shoot one for him, he may learn that if he does not move, you will kill a bird for him...All in a perfect world. :lol:

Croix

Post by Croix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Yes, wild grouse. Didn't catch any of them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:09 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Are these wild birds? Are they flying away so he does not catch them? If so, the light may come on that he cant move or else they will fly away. Thus making him point longer. Once he points long enough for you to shoot one for him, he may learn that if he does not move, you will kill a bird for him...All in a perfect world. :lol:

Tooooooo funny. Exactly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:34 pm

I've heard a few guy that claim that that is the way they train and they seem to be happy with their dogs. Yoiu can either keep at it and sooner or later it probably work or you can put her in a training field and train her. I don't know if one is really better than the other but I like to train. A year isn't much for a setter. They mature later than GSP's and Pointer's and even Britt's, if my boy's are typical.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!