how hard is it to train a 14 week old lab

michael

how hard is it to train a 14 week old lab

Post by michael » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:55 pm

i would like to know if it is pretty easy to traine my lab to go in the water to fetch and i would like to know how easy to get him use to gun shots.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:28 am

Thie biggest thing to know when training any dog is TIME and committment. Without these 2 things, you'll be training for a very long time. Introduce the water in a fun mode...always with very short sessions and be sure to end on a happynote. If he/she doesn't want to enter the water, don't force it. Starting out, make it a game of fetch and if the temperature permits, go in the water too.

As for getting a dog used to the gun, start out with a small caliber at a distance. If you time feed, you might want to shoot off a blank gun while he's/she's eating and won't be so upset by hearing it and will begin to associate the noise with good things, in this case, eating. From there, you move it to birds, gradually.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:57 am

michael,

I usually try to train my two GSPs about 10min a day. I started them on a blank gun. I would throw a dummy and as the dog is retrieving it, I would fire the blank gun. The point of this is to get the dogs attention on something else before you fire the gun. At first you can even muffle the blank gun in a shirt or something. Just remember to ALWAYS have fun, and if you or the dog stops having fun, take a break. I have to remind my self of this often. =)

Grant

lking

Post by lking » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:22 am

Michael, one thing I would recommend is to follow an outlined plan via a book for instance. There are some fantastic training manuals out there when it comes to training labs, depending on what you are in it for...hunting, trialing, etc... I would suggest you identify your training philosophy and what you want from your dog, than find a program that best suits your needs.

ab576

Way I do it.

Post by ab576 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:56 pm

IMO All replies I've read to this are fine . For the water first your dog needs to be retrieving on land. At this age it's all a game but they learn from games. Start with excited very short retrievs in the water. "Dogs feet still on the bottom" Gradually you will get the dogs feet off the bottom and watch it splash and teach itself how to swim. If you've got to go in yourself then do it.
For guns I make sure even before they're weaned to make loud sharp noises around the pups or in your case pup. Then when I'm working one of my other dogs to retrieve w/gunfire my wife will stand about 200ft away with the pup on lead. The pup will see the older dog is having lots of fun. In 2 or 3 15 minute sessions the pup will be right close to you and he/shes used to gunfire. Then let him do a couple short ones. Use a check cord if you have to.

ab576

I might add.

Post by ab576 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:08 pm

Don't know what plans you have for the pup. FT, HT,hunting, pet, companion, or maybe all of the above. I beleive the Labrador Retriever is the most versatile canine in the USA. But I'm biased I have 3 soon to be 4. If hunting or testing are in your plans use feathers as soon as you can. Live wingclipped pigeons are good training tools. My bitch of fairly good breeding wouldn't retrieve anything til I brought out some pheasant wings. Now it doesn't matter what, she will retrieve it.