How old

jimbo&rooster

How old

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Well my 6mo old gsp/EP got on a good old fashioned deer chase yesterday. I have always held off putting an ecollar on a dog as long as I could usually closer to 10mos- a year old. how long do ya'll wait? This is the first time hes been on a deer chase but with the crops coming out its only a matter of time before my CRP is full of them.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jcbuttry8

Re: How old

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:12 am

I put the collar on Kona at 5 mos but only used the beeper to get her attention. Now that she runs bigger I use the shock feature but very rarely. It is only when she is at a great distance and is ignoring the whistle. She seems to not need it but there are special occasions. She is now now 7 mos. It doesn't seem to bother her, but not all dogs are the same.

Joe

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 am

I put collars on my pup's soon as they would fit. Didn't turn them on and didn't carry the transmitter. At 6mos Id treat it like breaking the chase out of the dog. Only difference would be that I'd start low level nicing as soon as the chase starts. If the pup is well conditioned to having the collar on and the nic is kept low you should not have a problem. Low means start at the lowest setting and work up one level at a time till you see the pup react to it, stop right there. Don't make the pup scream.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

OUBobcat06

Post by OUBobcat06 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Funny you should post this now, because I just ran into the same thing with Daisy. (My pup and Jim's are littermates). I went to put her in the car this morning, she broke free and was gone in no time. Wouldn't even stop to look at me screaming. She finally turned around and came in once I started running the other way pretending it was all a big game.

I decided I'd go ahead and put the collar on this afternoon for our walk in the woods and she did fine with it. I only nic'd her a couple times, and after the walk the beep was plenty enough to get her attention. It didn't seem to change her range at all, and she's still as bold as ever. Still running through the woods at absolute top speed for the entire time. Lol

If Gator is anything like her I'd imagine you wouldn't have any problems. She seems to be as bold as they come...I started working with her with gunfire the other day and after about 2 shots with the .22 she couldn't care less....

Let me know how he does!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:36 pm

DonF wrote:I put collars on my pup's soon as they would fit. Didn't turn them on and didn't carry the transmitter. At 6mos Id treat it like breaking the chase out of the dog. Only difference would be that I'd start low level nicing as soon as the chase starts. If the pup is well conditioned to having the collar on and the nic is kept low you should not have a problem. Low means start at the lowest setting and work up one level at a time till you see the pup react to it, stop right there. Don't make the pup scream.

You wouldn't start out low for trash breaking? That's the only thing I use a high for.(After being collar conditioned.)
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:15 am

I would NEVER trash break a dog until he is fully broken out on the collar. That's how collar wise dog's and collar shy dog's are made.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:16 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I would NEVER trash break a dog until he is fully broken out on the collar. That's how collar wise dog's and collar shy dog's are made.
Im not sure what you mean by this..... Are you saying you dont trash break a dog till they are broke? or until they have been otherwise CCd? Not trying to be an "bleep", I really am curious.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:21 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:I would NEVER trash break a dog until he is fully broken out on the collar. That's how collar wise dog's and collar shy dog's are made.
Im not sure what you mean by this..... Are you saying you dont trash break a dog till they are broke? or until they have been otherwise CCd? Not trying to be an "bleep", I really am curious.
When training a dog with the e-collar the dog should first be introduced to the e-collar to learn to turn off the stimulation on his own. This is called avoidance training . The dog learns that by complying to the command it will avoid the stimulation. Until the dog has learned this the only perception of the collar by the dog is association. Since dogs learn by association this would seem like it would make sense, only the dog is not necessarily going to make the association that you expect. In this case the dog may make the association that the deer is causing the pain and therefore the dog will chase harder to get the deer to stop it from hurting him. With proper e-collar conditioning the dog would know to stop chasing to turn off the collar even though the expected association is that the deer caused the stimulation. With any training the age of the dog is not a good factor. Although some things can and should be introduced at a young age it is best to to set bench marks for training. In this case the dog should first be introduced to the e-collar properly then had enough training with it to fully understand how to turn it off. The age is irrelevant.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:26 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:
No, no, not fully broke, just fully collar conditioned.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 pm

There is a good article by George Hickox in sept. oct. Pointing Dog Journal on this subject.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:17 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:
No, no, not fully broke, just fully collar conditioned.
Absolutely.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Hey fellas, sorry I didn't see this sooner. 4dabirds has it right. Your pups need to be cc'd. You teach them to turn the electricity off. His advice is on the money. Gator and Daisy are plenty old enough. Daisy was extremely bold when I had her. She will probably take more pressure than Gator. Personality wise, Gator will probably be a little easier to train. He was very in tune to me as a little pup. Daisy was a little beast, all the talent in the world, your just gonna have to teach her to channel it. I'm so glad you guys got these pups.

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am

gonehuntin's got it.