He won't point wild birds.

jasonc

He won't point wild birds.

Post by jasonc » Fri May 19, 2006 7:29 pm

I have a 1.5 year old Weim that points pigeons in my electronic release but won't stop to point wild birds. He gets birdie and follows the trail but never stops. Pretty soon all I see is a rooster heading for the sunset. Any ideas?

silver elhew

Post by silver elhew » Fri May 19, 2006 9:28 pm

Iwould try to use a pheasant in the release traps instead of the pigeon.

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Fri May 19, 2006 10:03 pm

do you stop him when he flushes the bird or let him chase?do you shoot the birds he flushes if they are in gun rage?

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Fri May 19, 2006 10:30 pm

Pheasants are harder because they run and launchers don't. If you are putting him on good flying pheasants then in thoery he should settle down and start pointing them. The other option is just to go ahead and break him. Do you have a e-coller? If you are in albany then you are only about 15 min away. I have a pup that is about the same age I have been working on a pinch coller. I am going to put him on launchers and a e-coller as soon as I get his retrieving down a little better. Where do you train at?

Later
Justin

Wa Chukar Hunter

Hmmm

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat May 20, 2006 7:41 am

Or you could take him to areas with lots of wild pheasants and let him learn on his own - usually involving lots of bumping and chasing until he figures it out. Better than artificial means.

jasonc

Post by jasonc » Sun May 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I would like to try phesants in the launcher but don't have access to any. When he bumps the wild birds I do let him chase, is that wrong? There arn't many phesants here, so letting him figure it out on his own probly won't work. If I chose to break him what would be the correct way?