Training Schedule

Drake1

Training Schedule

Post by Drake1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 am

Hey,

I have a 8 week old lab that i am preparing to train as a duck/grouse hunting dog.

As i am eager to start i am spending this fine tuning my training routine for when i start serious training. I have not started anything serious yet. I have been searching for a schedule or plan to follow. for example say from 12 weeks to 14 weeks work on fetching. or i am looking for reasonable goals to try to meet, for example at 6 months he should be able to do this....this and this.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks
Mike

helpful_cub

Re: Training Schedule

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:50 pm

I hate to say it but, it takes how ever long it takes. Some people like to train in a certain order and work up to doing complex tasks like water retrieving or following hand signals while hunting a field. The more time you spend with the dog and the more fun you make it for them, the faster they will progress. When they get bored of doing the same thing, change up what your training or let them go for while. Dog's only have a 15 minute attention span on the high end...

If it makes you feel any better my GPS was Pointing birds and water retrieving after 5 months. We're still working on commanded tracking.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 pm

One bit of advise, labs are born to retrieve while its nice to work on it some, don't overdo retrieving, you will only sour the dog on it or turn them into what I call a bumper idiot/bumper crazy. The retrieve is in there if its a well bred dog, no need to drill retrieving.

Basic ob is what makes a good retriever and exposure, don't be in too much of a hurry to put a young pup on a program or overdo training too early. Bond, teach house manners and take pups for walks afield and let him/her explore and gain some independence and confidence.

Enjoy pup and bond for the next couple months, and dont overdo anything.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Congrats on your new pup....here are a few pointers

1. Begin with basic obedience now...no corrections really.....socialize the pup...go for walks...let him be around cats, other dogs, kids, etc.....(under your supervision)

2. Only a handful of very short retrieves a day....make it a game

3. Have fun and allow your puppy the gift of puppy hood. I have seen two different extremes when people purchase a puppy.
1. They are so gung ho they work the dog to death
2. They start off bonding and then for some reason can't find any time for the puppy

Both of these scenarios are very unfair to a puppy. 10 minutes a day of quality time will go a long way......even during play time, your puppy is learning.

4. As far as time frame, all pups are different. I like to shoot to have formal obedience completed (it's never really completed though) around 6 months. This means high percentage of compliance with at least mild distractions. Then it's time to start demanding more of the dog.....6 months is just a ballpark figure.....it just depends on the dog....it is not a race....don't compare your pup to someone elses at the same age!!!

5. AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.....GET WITH A PROVEN TRAINING PROGRAM. I RECOMMEND EVAN GRAHAM'S SMARTWORKS. IT WILL BE THE BEST MONEY YOU WILL EVER SPEND. IT IS ALSO A HUGE BENEFIT TO TRY AND JOIN A RETRIEVER CLUB.

Good luck...gotta love those puppies

Drake1

Post by Drake1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks....

Any favourite training book or DVD for labs you could recomend?...there sure are alot out there...!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Very well said.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett