Whistle preferences

Drake1

Whistle preferences

Post by Drake1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Hey there....I looking for somones opinion on what type of whistle to use while training and in the field.

I am duck and grouse hunting mainly, no shows or competition. I had a silent one in the past and really liked it, and the dog seemed to hear it (although that dog didnt always listen to it).

I have been reading that some people shy away from them because the dog cant hear over time and distance.

Any thoughts or opinions?

helpful_cub

Re: Whistle preferences

Post by helpful_cub » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:48 pm

I've had good luck with a plastic non-pee survival whistle from Walmart. They're loud, cheap, and since there's no pee inside, it can't be frozen to the side of the whistle making it worthless in cold, wet conditions. I haven't used a silent whistle before, so I can't comment on them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-4 ... e/19232280

A lot of people run more normal coaching type of whistles that sound very different from mine (pitch and have pees). My boy knows to ignore them because the tone is different. The main draw back I've found with whistles in general is that you have to be careful with echos. The dog may not know where your calling him from if he's out far and the noise is bouncing around off of the mountain or valley walls.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm

I just whistle thru my lips but, they are getting old and hard to whistle thru. I've never thought much of the silent whistle. I can't hear anything comming out of it. To use one your taking someone elses word for it. ZHow do they know it works? They can't hear it!

I used to have Roy Gonia whistle's, the orange one with black side plates. Those side plates pop out with a gut hook and youcan go pealess. Don't like it? Put the pea back in.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Raider21

Post by Raider21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:21 pm

i have a fox 40 pee less mini and its very loud, shrill.

i also have an acme 211.5 and it seems to work the best for us.

Deets

Post by Deets » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 am

I went on Ebay and bought an old WWII brass Army regulation whistle with a cork pea. It is loud and it looks really cool.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:54 am

I have a pee whistle, but I live in the city with close neighbors so I'm thinking of switching to a silent one so I can do yard training without a mob showing up at my doorstep

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Acme Metropolitan British Bobby whistle loudest thing I ever heard. Can hear it over a mile away.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

wad69

Post by wad69 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm

My whistle preference is probably determined more by the weather and/or terrain than anything. If it's blowing hard, the louder the whistle. It's more for my ears than anything...the quietist the situation will allow (more or less).