HELP 4yr old female Germain shorthair!

daak08

HELP 4yr old female Germain shorthair!

Post by daak08 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 pm

I am adopting a 4 yr old Germain Shorthair from my uncle. Here is my question, the dog has never had any kind of training so I'm just wondering is 4 yrs old to old to start training, just for hunting no competition. its purebreed but my uncle forgot to ask about papers so it doesn't have any papers but we will train it if it worth it and breed it since it is purebreed, even though there are no papers. Thanks for any info or advice!

Retiredbirddogman

Re: HELP 4yr old female Germain shorthair!

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:58 pm

I have seen some dogs that didn't get any "bird dog" training until they were quite old, for one reason or another, end up doing really well. If anything, I am guilty of pushing them along in training too fast. It is worth a try in my opinion, and I hope you are pleasantly surprised.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm

i dont think its too old to train, but why would you breed it just becouse it is supposed to be purebreed?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:03 pm

CONGRATS on the new dog :D my advice would be that when it comes to training start the dog off like she were a new pup..i do this with rescues i take in that are older when teaching obedience, even older then your GSP female and i am always surprised at how little they know when they come into my home..i think some have never stepped on grass before, a few have never left a kennel run so are very unsocialized to anything or anyone and have to be taught EVERYTHING..since your uncle had her he probably socialized her some so that would be a plus for you BUT as far as intro to birds i would start off by picking a program you are comfortable following and start from scratch, if she is good in the field great but if not you still have a great family pet i bet, good luck and keep us posted :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 pm

If you breed the dog you probably will not sell the pups. It is not registered and not proven in any manner. Why breed when there are plenty of proven dogs and out there.

You can train any dog just start from scratch. like a pup.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:You can train any dog just start from scratch. like a pup.
Yes and no, it would depend on what kind of exposure and socialization the dog had up to this point. Some dogs are fine with no early exposure, some dogs are severely handicapped by it and cannot over come it. Get the dog out and see if has any desire for birds and to search, give it a shot and see how it goes.

daak08

Post by daak08 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:58 pm

I know lardy, and stawski are excellent programs to follow and are pretty cheap in price. What are some programs that I could follow for training my GSP, and yes I will start her of as though she were a pup. And my uncle had her out once or twice a year just to hunt with but nothing more than that, she would run, point, and kick up a bird and shoot, but she would not retrieve, so I know she needs to review her OB and then FF and then the WHOA command, honor, etc. But yes I want to get on a program so I can do this the right way and try to bring out her full potential. So if you know any programs people please let me know and thanks for your advice and opinions so far.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey get out there and give it a try. Worst case she won't hunt. Then you just make here one heck of a friend that loves to see you every day and will bring you a ball when you want it.

I agree with the few on here about breeding. If she has not performed in the field or otherwise I would be careful. There are alot of great, well bred dogs that have been proven that people are giving away right now due to the times. just remember that your responsibilities don't end with the breeding. If you breed you must be willing to find them new homes if the first home doesn't work out. It could be a chore with unregistered pups.

JMO

Joe

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:40 pm

I have fostered many dogs from the shelter who have turned out to be nice hunting dogs. However, I would NEVER breed an unproven, unregistered dog - purebred or not. There are way too many dogs already being discarded that have full registrations. Not that registration means anything. IMO, it's all in proving the dog is worthy to be bred - and unless you're trialing or testing the dog, there is no proof. I would get the dog spayed first thing so you don't have to worry about an accidental litter and I'd enjoy training her.

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi daak08,
What I have to say is just my opinion.
It is not too late to train. The first thing you have to due is build a bond with this dog. If the dog is going to do things for you ( find, point, retreive birds and come when call) it must trust you. People make the mistake of wanting to train an older dog to fast. If the bond is there the dog is going to want to please you and work with you. To get those birds, Make sure man and dog are a team. Do not be in a rush to do bird work. The first thing, I would do is teach basic Obedience. I would use a clicker and treats to teach. When the dog know what is expected then you can began to use corrections. Before you use corrections make sure the dog knows the command. If you teach the dog to sit on grass, do not expected to sit on concrete. To her its a whole different command. So teach the commands in all kind of places. No matter what kind of trainer you are just be consistent. Your dog will learn you faster than you can learn your dog.

Before you breed the dog take a look at the rescue page in this forum go to petfinder.com
There are millions of unwanted dogs. Are you ready to take all the steps to make sure you are breeding a sound dog( mentally, physically) No one wants a dog the is sick.
If I saw your add I would not buy a dog from you. that is not to say your dogs are no good. I just would not want to take a chance. My odds of getting a mentally, physically stable dog is better if I stick with a professional. I once got a dog from a back yard breeder and paid the price She got diabetes at 1 1/2 years old. She die at 6.
Really think and do your homework before you decide to breed a dog.

Thank you
Pointer26

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 am

I had a shorthair come in years ago that was 6 yrs old. The dog, according to it's owner, had never been out of a kennel. I took it out for a walk and thats what it did, walk with me. Then I set up some birds for him and he completely ignored them. In desperation I took him in my quail pen with me. He sat down next to me and just watched the birds running around. After about a half hour, he stuck out his nose and tryed to sniff one. Did that a few more times and then tryed to pick one up, bird ran away from him. Tryed that a few more times and he'd had enough. He went right after that bird! Perrty quick he was trying to catch every bird in the pen.

At that point I went back to the field with him and put out three pigeon's in traps. He just walked with me again till I took him by a trap. Soon as he started to look toward the trap, I poped the bird, he just stayed with me. The next trap, after the bird was gone, he went over and smelled the trap then looked up to try and see what came out of there. Still walking with me but starting to pay attention to what was around us. Put out three more traps for him and started out again. He was going out front of me a short way and looking around for birds. Next trap he started to turn his head and I poped the bird. Soon as I did, he went over to check it out. Maybe the second or third birds, when I poped it, he chased the bird a short way then caame back to the trap to check it out.

Whole point is that if it's in the dog, you can wake it up. May not be a barn burned but should make a good hunting dog, that dog made a really nice hunting dog but trial guy's would look at him as a boot polisher. So what? This guy did not trial, he just wanted to hunt with the dog. I heard form him after that season and the dog did fine. In the begining I wasn't sure I could do anything with it, I was wrong.

Work with her and find out how she feel's about it. She might suprise you.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!