Most frustrating day so far

Gertie

Most frustrating day so far

Post by Gertie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:16 pm

I took my 4 month old ES out for a field walk today. I took her to the same place we usually go and rarely run into people/dogs. She's been really consistent with coming to voice and/or whistle but today was a whole different story. We ran into about 10 groups of people (!!!) and they all had dogs and she wasn't listening to a word but instead was jumping up at people and dogs (thankfully, all were nice but it definitely could have been bad). I would try to grab her 10' check cord and she would let me get about a foot away from grabbing it, make eye contact and speed off before I could get it. I didn't lose my temper (which was really hard) and instead would just walk away until she came back to me, which she did eventually. I know she's way too young for the e-collar still and I just got a 30' check cord that she'll be on from now on but is there anything else I can do? She obviously knows what the commands are and is just choosing to ignore them. Uggghhh.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Most frustrating day so far

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Welcome to puppy hood. Believe it or not but your pup possibly learned more today than any day yet. Tis had to happen before it could learn much more and it happens with every pup. Just because they mind in the yard it doesn't mean they will mind at all when there are distracions. Part of growing up and part of the training you are giving. Let the pup drag the 30 ft CC and hope it happens again and then you can start the correction process.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Atg four monts the pup should have an adult check cord. I have found that a 20' cord works best and is easy to handle. When I was training a lot, I could handle a 25' check cord. I never was able to use the 30' cord. I bought my rope to make cords with from Big R in Redmond, they don't carry it any more. You sound like your letting her drag the cord, good. Word of caution, is the cord is to soft it will whip going around brush and can tie your dog up on you. Make sure that the end you hold doesn't have a knot or hand hold of any kind, just while she's running free. Anything other than a straight piece of rope, on the end you hold, give's you a lunp that can hang up in the "Y" in brush, That will tie your dog up for you again. A proper cord will bounce off brust and never get caught by a knot or handle in your end.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Really needed to hear that this is normal and nothing to get flustered about. I got a stiff CC from Lion Supply in the mail today. I'll give the 30' a try and if it's too long to handle effectively I'll cut it back. We're going to spend some time in the yard tomorrow and then go out in the late afternoon and give it another go. My goal is to only say a command once and have her responding instead of me barking commands 50 times progressively louder and grumpier sounding and having her ignore me :roll: Hopefully it all comes together soon and then gets perfected with the e-collar in a few months. Thanks again.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'