Puppy ranging

joachimt

Puppy ranging

Post by joachimt » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:52 pm

I have a 6 month old GSP. I introduced her to birds a few times this past summer. I have taken her pheasant hunting when the season started and she usually does not range more than 10 feet from me usually walking kind of slow and methodical sometimes stopping right by my feet. However, when she gets on pheasant scent then she really starts hunting and ranging out from me. She actually looks like a hunting dog!! But when no scent she walks right by me. How can I get her to have drive and desire to go out and search for birds?? Is she just too young and she will eventually get it??

brad27

Re: Puppy ranging

Post by brad27 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16 pm

How did you do the bird intro?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Depending how much time you have spet in the field with your pup and whether or not you have another dog it may take your pup some time to get out and run. My not quite 5mo old GSP has really just started to range in the last couple of weeks, and I have been taking him out for runs 3-5 days a week since he was 12wks old. My 6mo EP/GSP pup started to range at about 12wks old. I am fortunate to have 100acres of CRP on our farm that I have free range of.

Id say that with some time spent afield your pup will get tired of walking with you and start to get out and cover ground. When he does start to roll just let him run and dont let yourself get nervous and call him back, he will bump a few birds but thats part of the process....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Can be normal for a 4 month old. When she does go out , don't call her back. Don't give her a hard time for staying with you. Lacking in independence at this time but not a huge problem at 4 months. Make sure she has lots of positive experience. ( Did a bird get in her face at some point?)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Have you done any obedience or heel training????

joachimt

Post by joachimt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:10 am

For bird introduction I planted quail for her and she did a nice job covering ground and searching for the birds. But she knew there were birds out there.

For obedience training I have taught her to heel and she does well. I also have taught her the come command which she does pretty well at. But when she is in the field I dont say anything to her. I try to let her range away from me. When she does get 20 feet away or so she always looks back to see where Iam.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:02 am

I like to get a new pup out with my older dogs. The pup will always try to follow and keep up.
Are you taking your pup out hunting alone or with other dogs?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:05 am

Sometimes teaching a young dog to heel will make them not want to leave your side I would forget about heel for now untill the dog builds enough confidence to range out.
I don't teach much obedience untill later desire,boldness,birdiness come first in my book but others will disagree but I have seen young pups taught to heel that take awhile to regain confidence to venture out.
Good Luck!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 am

How did you do gun introduction?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Sometimes teaching a young dog to heel will make them not want to leave your side I would forget about heel for now untill the dog builds enough confidence to range out.
I don't teach much obedience untill later desire,boldness,birdiness come first in my book but others will disagree but I have seen young pups taught to heel that take awhile to regain confidence to venture out.
Good Luck!
+1.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way