Big jumping problem

Tonyconstantino

Big jumping problem

Post by Tonyconstantino » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 am

So I'm new to the forum my name tony is my Lil buddy name is yogi he is 11m old I have tryed many diff thing to try to get him to stop jumpin on people it has got to the point where my mom can't take him out and i can't have him loose near kid he a fun loving dog but I don't know what to do to fix this problem Iam think Iam down to using e-coller

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Big jumping problem

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:24 am

Welcome aboard

Jumping dogs are no fun but the e collar is not the answer for this problem
What I do for jumping dog is grab the front paws and hold the paws very firmly and lift up on them just enough where I am extending the legs a little bit to make the uncomfortable and I will hold this until the dog give up struggling this new role and they drop the head to the side in a pout and make a deep sigh

You need to have people do the same thing

then the other thing is getting the dog on a lead and do some obedience work having the dog mind you and not turn you off and doing its own thing standing besides you and pay attention to the dog as when the attention diverts off what you two are doing together a simple sharp tug on the lead will be the beginning of the cure not trying to correct after the dog has fully committed to being out of control
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 am

We clicker train "four on the floor" and sit with bouncy dogs. Recently had a client Weim in, 90 lb rescue who thought her mission in life was to put her huge feet on everyone's shoulders. Took about fifteen minutes to instill the idea that the behavior wasn't going to get her anywhere.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 am

Train an alternate behavior and reward that behavior . Ignore or correct unwanted behavior. Unwanted behavior will diminish when the wanted behavior is rewarded. Teach sit to greet .if Every person the dog comes in contact with treats the dog for sitting that is what the dog will do. Read culture clash By jean Donaldson .

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 am

kninebirddog wrote:Welcome aboard

What I do for jumping dog is grab the front paws and hold the paws very firmly and lift up on them just enough where I am extending the legs a little bit to make the uncomfortable and I will hold this until the dog give up struggling this new role and they drop the head to the side in a pout and make a deep sigh

You need to have people do the same thing

then the other thing is getting the dog on a lead and do some obedience work having the dog mind you and not turn you off and doing its own thing standing besides you and pay attention to the dog as when the attention diverts off what you two are doing together a simple sharp tug on the lead will be the beginning of the cure not trying to correct after the dog has fully committed to being out of control

+1, this type method has always worked for me....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

When they jump rotate your body away from them, tell them "no" or "down" and stop giving attention. Once they're on all 4s then you can praise and pet them. They'll get it figured out eventually.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:53 am

Tony,

I use the chain gang to cure this as well....stake the dog out and leave it for a bit 10-15 minutes. When you approach the dog do not release it until it stands quietly. In example, you walk up and the dog lunges or tries to jump up...immediately back away. The dog is retsrained and cannot "touch" you. When he/she is quiet, approach again, the same thing will likely happen...but eventually the dog will realize that you break off contact when it jumps. You then say nothing but stroke the dogs back lightly and you may relaease it. After you have some success begin to generalize the behavior with other family members and children.

Rearing up or jumping on people is not just bad manners it is a dominance behavior. The restraint stops that behavior without physical correction from your hands and it is completely consistent. The other methods are effective but they are sort of after the fact issues...the chain gang controls the whole activity. It takes patience but it is a long term cure. It works especially well if you start it at 6 weeks old...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Tony,

I use the chain gang to cure this as well....stake the dog out and leave it for a bit 10-15 minutes. When you approach the dog do not release it until it stands quietly. In example, you walk up and the dog lunges or tries to jump up...immediately back away. The dog is retsrained and cannot "touch" you. When he/she is quiet, approach again, the same thing will likely happen...but eventually the dog will realize that you break off contact when it jumps. You then say nothing but stroke the dogs back lightly and you may relaease it. After you have some success begin to generalize the behavior with other family members and children.

Rearing up or jumping on people is not just bad manners it is a dominance behavior. The restraint stops that behavior without physical correction from your hands and it is completely consistent. The other methods are effective but they are sort of after the fact issues...the chain gang controls the whole activity. It takes patience but it is a long term cure. It works especially well if you start it at 6 weeks old...
Yes the chain gang is also another great way to help train manners when approaching a dog..only advancing when the dog is standing relaxed and still or calm and laying down then ask to present themselves...you need to have patience to do this as I have had it where it took me 45 minutes one time to finally make it to the dog in a manner where the dog was in a manner that I was pleased with

Another thing is do not try and back away from a dog that has committed the bad manners walk through them step on them carefully backing away only encourages more jumping

This is where that cute little puppy never discouraged from jumping now is an adult dog and does not understand that the jumping isn't going to get it picked up and loved on...They grow into behaviors not out of :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm

My preferred approach is the knee in the chest method. They jump, lift your knee up so they jump into it. It doesn't have to be hard or violent, just something that is uncomfortable that they won't do by choice. Do that a couple of times and they'll stop jumping on you. X2 on having everybody do it, or else the dog will keep trying to get away with it.

Many good ideas on this thread, I'm inclined to try a few myself. I like the chain gang idea.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

hansreb3

Post by hansreb3 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:32 pm

I have seen/worked with dogs that just get more excited the more you grab them or knee them. Although, some dogs get the message just fine.

Here's whats worked for me with overly excited dogs,

Step 1: When I come to greet the dog I do not make eye contact, speak to, or pet it. The only way it can have my attention, even negative attention, is if all 4 paws are on the floor.

Step 2: Be patient enough to do step 1. If the dog jumps on you turn your back and say nothing, don't look at him, and do not touch him. This may take 20 minutes (or more) depending on a) how long you've been accidentally rewarding the dog for jumping and b) how hard headed he is.

Step 3: Reward the heck outta the dog for keeping his paws on the floor (bouncing w/o jumping is NOT acceptable)

Step 4: Train other members of your house to do this until the dog isn't jumping on them.

Step 5: Use this same technique with a family friend outside, while the dog is on leash. Once you've established that the dog cannot jump on you at home you have to redo the training completely while he is out for a walk. Don't expect him to do a great job while he's out for a walk just because he behaves inside the house. New situations mean retraining.

I would not use an E-collar for this one. Its a pretty common behavioral problem, and you need the dog to behave even when he doesn't have the E-collar on. It is also possible,but probably not likely, that the dog would learn to associate greeting people with being zapped regardless of when the collar is on. Some other punishments that might work are squirt bottles and cans with pennies in them. I think this excited beastie won't react to the water and you certainly don't want him to think loud sounds (pennies shaken in a can) are bad. I think your best bet is lots and lots of patience.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Welcome aboard

This but I step on their back feet to make it uncomfortable

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:00 pm

A jumping dog is a piece of cake. Every time they jump on you, knee them hard in the chest, knocking them over backwards, and tell them NO. Invite friends over, have them tempt the dog by patting their chest, and have them do the same thing. In one or two days, tops, the dog will lose ALL desire to ever jump on anyone.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:25 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:A jumping dog is a piece of cake. Every time they jump on you, knee them hard in the chest, knocking them over backwards, and tell them NO. Invite friends over, have them tempt the dog by patting their chest, and have them do the same thing. In one or two days, tops, the dog will lose ALL desire to ever jump on anyone.
X2. Always works. Dogs should jump up ONLY when invited to do so.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Phermes and GH got it right. Don't fool around with it, encourage it to jump on you and knee it every time. I would be suprised if you have to do it to many times. And get other people to help you, let them encourage it and knee him when he does. For myself, I like my dogs to jump on me. Bodie taught Squirt that he shouldn't do it so only Bodie does it. If people come to the house I usually put them both in the bedroom. If you don't want them to jump on your car door, park down the block and walk up. They live here, you don't!

BTW, when I used to do the knee thing, I'd never say a word to the dog when it jumped. Just a knee and shut my mouth. There is absolutely nothing you can say to him that will mean anywhere near what the knee does.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:39 am

Wenaha wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:A jumping dog is a piece of cake. Every time they jump on you, knee them hard in the chest, knocking them over backwards, and tell them NO. Invite friends over, have them tempt the dog by patting their chest, and have them do the same thing. In one or two days, tops, the dog will lose ALL desire to ever jump on anyone.
gonehuntin and donf, doesnt telling people to invite the dog to jump up by patting their chest and then kneeing it to get it down confuse the dog? wenaha is saying to only let the dog jump up when invited and you are saying invite it up and knee it after being invited up, curious as to why would you invite it then correct it? thanks...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:46 am

GUNDOGS wrote:

gonehuntin and donf, doesnt telling people to invite the dog to jump up by patting their chest and then kneeing it to get it down confuse the dog? wenaha is saying to only let the dog jump up when invited and you are saying invite it up and knee it after being invited up, curious as to why would you invite it then correct it? thanks...ruth
A dog jumping on a person is disgusting, dangerous, and rude. I, personally, don't want them ever to do it. By inviting him to do it, then punishing him for doing it, you are proofing the dog so it jumps on no one. That's why it's important to have other people do the same thing, so the dog learns that he can't ever jump on anyone.

It is very much the same thought process as debolting a dog is.

I once, a long time ago, knew an old Swede dog trainer. Once an owners dog screwed him over in a trial. When this trainer corrected the dog, after the trial, the owner asked why he had unfairly corrected the dog. The trainer answered, "Vell Al, I tell you. Sometimes you gots to sheets on them just like they sheets on you."

That's what the invitation to you chest, then the knee is. :lol:
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:

A dog jumping on a person is disgusting, dangerous, and rude. I, personally, don't want them ever to do it. By inviting him to do it, then punishing him for doing it, you are proofing the dog so it jumps on no one. That's why it's important to have other people do the same thing, so the dog learns that he can't ever jump on anyone.

It is very much the same thought process as debolting a dog is.

I once, a long time ago, knew an old Swede dog trainer. Once an owners dog screwed him over in a trial. When this trainer corrected the dog, after the trial, the owner asked why he had unfairly corrected the dog. The trainer answered, "Vell Al, I tell you. Sometimes you gots to sheets on them just like they sheets on you."

That's what the invitation to you chest, then the knee is. :lol:

yes i agree its very rude and dangerous, i cant stand it.... i would have thought it would confuse the dog as to what you want by it obeying you by jumping up and then being disciplined for doing what you have asked of it, BUT by doing what you suggest you actually keep the dog from getting set back in your training by those folks you come across on walks, at dog parks and petstores who like to undo any training youve done with your dog which includes inviting them to jump up to be petted :evil: im going to try this on our shorthair pup, hes a bigtime jumper, just started it, hes only 3 months old and not heavy yet but he will be a very big boy like his dad.. my boxer and my lab/britt mix i taught to sit every single time they would jump up and now they sit when they meet new people which is especially good when interacting with older folks and kids but im not going to teach harley to sit until much later so im gonna give your method a try, thanks :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 am

I also knee the dogs but will add, I never say a word. I just smile at the dog and pat my chest inviting the dog to jump. If I get a good correction with the knee the dog lands on his back. Then I smile really big and invite him to jump again. Repeat the knee and then smile and invite him again letting him know I love this game. Repeat as needed. I am not mad at the dog, I am only playing a game that I enjoy and the dog doesn`t. Won`t be long he will not want to play my game anymore and keep his feet on the ground. Then I praise him and let him know he is a good dog.
Works great for me. I have been hit in the nards by customer dogs too many times to count and will not tolerate it. The only problem with this method is that gramma or the kids can`t do it. But once the habit has been broke it is easier to enforce off around the kids and gramma. I will also use the" Page" function on a Dogtra collar to give a warning to the dog when gramma or the kids enter the room. He needs to know what 'Off" means first before I use the collar. Set them up if you need too. If the kids are coming in the door at 4:00pm from school, have the collar on and ready. Once the kids come in and he approaches them they can say "off" if needed and you can give him the Page to make him think about what will happen if he jumps up. There will be no negativity from the dog towards the kids. Works great.
With that said. It is much easier to just teach the youngster not too jump when they are 4 months old. Don`t let them get away with this and then suddenly change the game on them. They won`t understand. A good rule to use, but it is hard sometimes. "Don`t allow any behavior at 4 months that won`t be allowed at 12 months". :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:16 am

It reminds me of a little boy my wife was baby sitting who loved to pinch people. Apparently, he had been allowed to get away with it and it was a game to him. One day he pinched me and continued to pinch, waiting for a reaction from me. Even though it was uncomfortable, I never reacted or let on, I just let him pinch. When he let go, I just laughed and said that was fun, let me try and I pinched him just enough for him to grimace and pull away. I said I really like this game, now it's your turn, you pinch me again and held my arm out for him. He wanted no part of it and never attempted to pinch anyone around our house again. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
Wenaha wrote:
You either allow your dog to jump or you don't. Lot of people get in trouble training because of inconsistency. Be consistent, they either are allowed or they are not!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Tonyconstantino

Post by Tonyconstantino » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:31 pm

i have been doin the knee to the chest for a while now but I I've never hit him hard enough to knock them onto his back. Today I tried grabbing his front paws when he would jump top of me and stretch him out until he was uncomfortable and that seemed to help out a little bit. Then when I was washing his kennel he tried to jump up on top of me and I wet his face and I guess he really didin like it he tried to jump up again I wet his face again and for the rest of the time I was washing his kannel he was running around every time I would call him overs he just stand next to me and let me Pet him like thats the behavior that I want from him I also ordered the TBI Pro stakeout from Gundog supply so I'm goin try that as well if the behavior persists when I take him out tomorrow because usually the most he jumps is the one I first see him to go to feed him in the morning thank you everybody for all your help