Am I expecting too much?

gr_elliott

Am I expecting too much?

Post by gr_elliott » Wed May 24, 2006 1:03 pm

At this point Rowdy is 14 weeks old, the only thing we have worked on is come and a little bit of stay as of recent, it has just been fun time. I play fetch with him in the backyard, and he is great at retrieving and loves to play. One thing he does not do is drop the object when he gets back to me. He will run to my feet, lay down and chew on the object. I saw somewhere that dogs have a sensitive spot along their back where there ribs stop, and if you barely squeeze that they get the hint to drop. I have been doing this for a few weeks and I don't seem to be making any progress.

He brings it back, I reach down and say drop and give him a small squeeze, he lets go. He will not let go on command if I don't squeeze. maybe I am just pushing for too much at this age...would it be better to just throw it once and if he does not drop it then just let him chew?

Some info that might help, he has not started teething yet, and the object I play with is either a retrieving dummy or a rope toy.

Sergeant Hunter

One thing that helped me last year

Post by Sergeant Hunter » Wed May 24, 2006 2:10 pm

My brit was a bit older than your pup when I got him, but he had never been worked with, so this could help. When Rowdy does drop the dummy or toy (after your squeeze) heap lavish praise on him initially and maybe even give him a treat for a week or so, on every couple of retrieve and drops. As he gets more consistent on the retrieve and drop continue to praise him but not to such an extreme. I hope this helps.

KC

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Wed May 24, 2006 4:38 pm

I would just be playing with a dog that age. If he brings it back just take it and throw it again. I would never do formal training at that age. You want a bold and confident dog that takes time. What if your dog starts associating getting pinched in the back with bringing stuff to you? Then the dog will decide to not bring it at all. Believe me you don't want retrieving problems like that to try and undo.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

don't create a problem where one does not exist

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed May 24, 2006 4:57 pm

I would agree with OhioGsp. When Rowdy brings back the dummy or toy, praise him while he is holding it. I would not praise him when he drops it. He will think that is a good thing and will get in the habit of doing that. He may drop birds in the field later. Just take the item with no emotion nor consequensees at this point. After a while he will get used to you taking the item and throwing again. The real fun for him is to chase it. Association is how a dog learns. After all he is a pup.

Good luck and have fun. The light will come on.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

littleking

Post by littleking » Thu May 25, 2006 7:39 am

my brittany was doing the same thing. i would just say drop as i took the toy/bumper from her, soon enough she learned the command.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu May 25, 2006 6:47 pm

My pup got so used to fetch that he would drop the ball or the dummy before he got to me. A little bit of " Take it and Give it" training fixed that, but maybe your pup could be waiting for the squeeze to drop it. Maybe he thinks thats part of the command?

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Fri May 26, 2006 7:37 am

I am not real sure....I guess at this point I should not worry about it, as long as he brings it back