Crate For Pup?

dickey

Crate For Pup?

Post by dickey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 pm

I am getting a new ES puppy this spring, should I use crate for the trip home or not? I don't want his introduction to the crate to be an unpleasent one. He will be an inside dog and crate trained, It is close to a two hour trip and if he become motion sick on the trip could this cuase him to later view the crate as unpleasent. Am I thinking too much on this?? :?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Crate For Pup?

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm

You are thinking too much. Crate pup. This will prevent him from throwing up on you while you are driving. :)

By no unpleasant experiences in the crate , folks mean , "Don't use the crate for punishment times.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Yea, your overthinking it. I would let the pup ride in front with me, did that with both my boys. Crate won't hurt a thing and might save you from getting barfed on.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

if you are going to get the pup alone use the crate for the saftey of you, the pup and the other drivers in the event of distractions and if someones coming with you then you can let them hold the pup or crate it whatever you chose to do..when we brought our pups home whether its from the airport or from the breeders house i drove and my husband held them until the pup would go haywire and have to be crated :lol:....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

dickey

Post by dickey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:34 pm

The crate it is. Thanks

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:00 am

"bleep",

I also would not hesitate to ask the breeder to put a crate in the puppy pen to get them used to it. If you're going to see the pup, you can even bring your own crate for this. My Vizsla breeder uses a crate from when they're about 5-6 weeks old until they're picked up at 9-10 weeks old. She even crates them for times alone - though probably not too much as I'm sure it gets loud!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:52 am

When I picked my pup up we had a 5hr drive ahead of us and he sat in the front seat the whole way. Within 15minutes I almost ran off the road because I was distracted by the pup trying to climb in my lap. :oops: But the rest of the time I was able to do it safely...every time he put a paw on my leg I just nudged it off with a free hand, eyes staying on the road. The one nice thing about having the pup in the front seat with you is that it's a great time to introduce it's name and allows you to glance over to see the reaction. By the time I got home that day the pup was already turning to me when I said his name.

dickey

Post by dickey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:08 pm

I am going to ask the breeders if I can bring my crate early and see if they will let me put it in the kennel with the pups and dame. They have a very nice kennel with plenty of space should be no problem.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

That's just what I did with the current GSP puppy - the breeder would even put her in there for short times after exercise and lock her in there for me so she got used to it before I even brought her home. I didn't have any issues with her or her sister in crate training - it was a breeze.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm

New puppies rarely don't puke on the first car ride! Whats the breeding on your new pup?

dickey

Post by dickey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:29 pm

The pup will be coming from Warriors Mark http://www.warriorsmark.com/es_pups.htm

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:20 pm

"bleep" wrote:The pup will be coming from Warriors Mark http://www.warriorsmark.com/es_pups.htm
Nice pedigree, should have potential! Good Luck!