Bark problem? Ideas needed?

Beecher

Bark problem? Ideas needed?

Post by Beecher » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:05 pm

My 4.5 year old male Setter has become a barker the last year or so, it is beginning to bother nieghbors, he barks for 15 or 20 minutes when I come or go from the house, (he is in a 10x10x6 tall kennel) he barks after I feed/water him, even after hours of hunting and I kennel him he barks for 15 minutes looking up at the house the whole time! I have ruled out hunger or pain, he gets pleanty of exercise outside of the kennel as I run him in a field several times a week! Question: is it time for a bark collar, I use a cc on him hunting but just for range control, anyone with experience and what worked for you?

Beecher

Re: Bark problem? Ideas needed?

Post by Beecher » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:15 pm

I meant shock collar for keeping dog in range not cc!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Bark Collar. Long past time for it :wink:

Needs to be a Bark Collar so the dog reaps the consequences for the bark E collar is not sufficient for that because the dog will learn only when you are around that the bark comes with a price to pay

I like the TT and I do not start babying the dog with warnings either ..I start at 3 for the really compulsive barkers and will start at 2 for the younger or ones that general will listen when I tell them to hush
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:58 pm

By your description of when he barks and the fact he is staring at your house when he barks says to me he is going threw "seperation anxiety" because he is associating you with hunting, eating, exercise and playtime so he wants to be with you as much as he can (you = fun)..the only option you really have to stop it is the bark collar, i used one on my GSP because she barked all the time in the back yard, it stopped her barking for the most part almost instantly and it seemed all was going great BUT then she suddenly became extremely skittish and paranoid in the back yard with many odd behaviors and i feel very strongly that she had related the back yard to being zapped which led to more issues from there..i know bark collars are recommended and used by many successfully and it really may be the only option to stop barking but i personally wont use one again after seeing the results of what I FEEL caused issues worse then the barking..just be sure you know how to use it properly, we had a trainer show us how to use it... good luck i hope it all works out for you barking can be very frustrating to say the least.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Is there a reason he can't be inside? If he can't, and if hosing him off at each bark doesn't work then maybe a bark collar would be best. We go through the 5am barking each duck season b/c my husband's chessie knows it is duck season and wants to go. She won't stop for about an hour. The best preventative is bringing her inside, where she doesn't bark and sleeps good in her crate.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 pm

The hose doesnt work in the winter its frooze. Bark collars can rub them raw sometimes, and smart ones know when they dont have it on.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:42 pm

I used a bark collar on my JRT. ( barking at motels during trial weekends) It didn't hurt his neck and I left it on all the time. The old one I have is a one level for all. Much better to get one with levels. You don't want the dog getting a correction every time he drinks or swallows. The jrt still wears the collar when travelling, but he doesn't realize there is no battery in it anymore. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:40 am

Tri Tronics Bark collar works well, you just have to keep an eye on their neck. I have had one dog (Kelpie, Aussie cowdog) that learned to bark or yelp just under the level that the collar would "get him". Other than that dog, no complaints. Having the same barking issues with a new GSP right now. Only dog I've ever had to go to the highest level on, but after a week, he finally got the message.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:30 am

If you don't like the barking collar option, this might fit your needs. Never had any experience with it, but seems interesting.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx ... at_id=7018

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 am

DogNewbie wrote:If you don't like the barking collar option, this might fit your needs. Never had any experience with it, but seems interesting.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx ... at_id=7018
its good to try to come up different alternatives and this is ONLY MY OPINION about this product BUT I personally wouldnt use something on my birddog that sprays citrinella or anything else into their nose which may effect their sense of smell when their nose and sense of smell is a birddogs biggest assest, jmo....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:27 am

I prefer to not mess with the barking problem. My guy's are in the house. The only time they bark is if someone drives in the drive way. Or, of course, if they need out or water.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!