Too late for "steady to wing/shot"???

Beecher

Too late for "steady to wing/shot"???

Post by Beecher » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:01 pm

I have a 4.5 yr. old Setter, hi performance, great nose, long story short it is my 1st dog, so the 1st year or so we did just a few sessions with a trainer, due to $$$ and other things I had to do most of the training myself by stealing what info I could off others! He is steady on "whoa" on pointing a bird but he breaks when the bird flushes. Is it too late to break a 4.5 yr. old to "steady to wing&shot" ? I have a Setter pup also and want to make her steady to wing &shot from the beginning!

Winchey

Re: Too late for "steady to wing/shot"???

Post by Winchey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Yes you can make him steady to W&S. Lots of people don't break their dogs as a rule until they have a few seasons under their belt.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Beecher wrote:I have a 4.5 yr. old Setter, hi performance, great nose, long story short it is my 1st dog, so the 1st year or so we did just a few sessions with a trainer, due to $$$ and other things I had to do most of the training myself by stealing what info I could off others! He is steady on "whoa" on pointing a bird but he breaks when the bird flushes. Is it too late to break a 4.5 yr. old to "steady to wing&shot" ? I have a Setter pup also and want to make her steady to wing &shot from the beginning!

It is not to late. Go for it. Have a plan.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:40 pm

I didn't steady my vizsla until he was 6 years old. I used the "perfect finish" dvd from perfection kennels and have been very happy with the results - he's well on his way to a MH title this year.