Watering dog in field

EastBeast

Watering dog in field

Post by EastBeast » Sun May 28, 2006 7:16 am

Can anyone recommend a good watering system that I can carry with me? I use water bottles now, but they are a pain to carry sometimes, not very rugged and need to be replaced often as they start to taste like plastic. I'm looking at a few of those bladder systems and was wondering what people had to say about them. Thanks :)

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Sun May 28, 2006 8:38 am

I use a bladder that fits into a pocket in the back of my vest. The bladder is not so easy to use with the dogs though, you have to squeeze the mouthpiece and it doesnt really squirt out that much water unless your sucking on it, so its hard to water them much with it. I just take a Nalgene widemouth bottle for the dogs, they can just about drink out of it like a bowl, and they are unbreakable and don't have a taste once you wash them the first time.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun May 28, 2006 9:03 am

the slickest thing that we have found is to take water in a bottle, and also take one of those foldable gore-tex bowls. water does not get wasted that way.

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Sun May 28, 2006 9:35 am

well i've been in boyscouts since the 1st grade and now i'm in 10th grade so i know a little,i have used the bladder systems and actuallly don't like them as much but thats just my preference,what i do like are the lexan or whatever they are but they are practically indistructible plastic water bottles eddie bauer makes them ,nalgene which is what i use and love and coleman makes them,the only way i have ever seen one break was when a truck backed over it. the bottles come in various shapes and sizes,most camping stores and outfitters carry them and there worth the money u pay because u will never have to buy another,i have literally tossed the things on pavement and my bottles have taken a beating and all get are minor scratches my oldest bottle right now is like 6 years old and still truckin he survived 60 miles on the appalachain trail and many other trips,hope this helps
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun May 28, 2006 10:06 am

What I use is a simple water squirt bottle. Something like a washed out Gatorade bottle with the squirt top. When I water my dog, I first lift his dewlap in the front and squirt water onto the front of his teeth and gums to help him scent. Then I let the water dribble out the end while he laps up all he wants.

I've never had an issue with the water starting to taste like plastic, but then I usually have the opportunity to change out bottles pretty frequently anyway.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun May 28, 2006 10:54 am

I use the "Camel Bak" bladder (100 oz.) when I plan on being gone for some time. They are gravity fed so they have to be positioned accordingly in order for a dog to drink. They can actualy squirt to much water when the bladder is full. I prefer this over bottles since we hunt in a very arid climate and the dogs need a regular shot of water so their nose stays moist. That and when it is warm out I suck down alot of water too.

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast » Sun May 28, 2006 10:59 am

I'll take your advice and stay away from the bladders. Thanks guys :) I just use poland spring bottles. Maybe it's crappy plastic. I'll order those nicer ones and try them. Will they take freezing repeatedly? I use a bowl too - it's kinda bulky though. I read somewhere that a cone shaped one works well? I waste a lot of water in the one I have now.

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Sun May 28, 2006 1:42 pm

the lexan ones work great when u freeze them they will keep cold all day if u freeze them overnight

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 28, 2006 2:11 pm

I am going to buy a camel back but you can actually buy water containers for your dogs that have a dish right on them for your dog.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Sun May 28, 2006 3:49 pm

i do the same thing that Ayres does. just carry a bicycle squirt bottle. the plastic is harder and wont crack in your vest. it might take a while for the dogs to get use to it but i have never had a problem. plus it is also nicer to squirt on the dogs back and chest on really hot days to cool them off.
Chris

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Sun May 28, 2006 5:22 pm

yeah those dog bottles are pretty cool in fact i think i have one but i've never once used it

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 28, 2006 5:25 pm

hrchunter wrote:yeah those dog bottles are pretty cool in fact i think i have one but i've never once used it
I keep one in the back of my car at all times and switch it out to clean it about every other week. Just incase we get stranded or while running I or the dog(s) need it.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:44 pm

I always carry a case of bottle water in my truck for me and the dogs. When I take the dogs out for a run I load up my hunting vest with bottles of water, the vest gets lighter as the dogs drink. I tried the bladder that came with the vest ,but found I could carry more water in bottles. I do this also during hunting season.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152