Digging holes

Adawg762

Digging holes

Post by Adawg762 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:17 pm

My dog is digging holes in the yard and even after extensive exersise if I leave him unattended for too long he begins to dig holes. What would you recomend on how to break him of this habbit (without scolding the heck out of him if at all possible) thanks again!!!!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Digging holes

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:47 pm

I know this is going to sound simple, but why leave him unattended? Dogs that are left to their own devices generally get into trouble - whether that be climbing, chewing, digging, or getting stolen. They generally don't do anything good. My personal opinion is that nothing good comes of leaving a dog outside alone... I do it with my beagles, but they dig and chew and bark. They (and my birddogs) don't exercise themselves when outside, so I don't have a real reason to leave them out except the beagles have a very small kennel for all 4 of them.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:37 pm

What kind of helped with my lab was "teaching" her to dig.
I took her somewhere she could dig easily (plowed field, or snowbank in the winter) and encouraged her to dig. She then associated the action with a command, and now does it on command, but not so much on her own.

It's not foolproof, but it worked for me for this dog.

Adawg762

Post by Adawg762 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:57 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I know this is going to sound simple, but why leave him unattended? Dogs that are left to their own devices generally get into trouble - whether that be climbing, chewing, digging, or getting stolen. They generally don't do anything good. My personal opinion is that nothing good comes of leaving a dog outside alone... I do it with my beagles, but they dig and chew and bark. They (and my birddogs) don't exercise themselves when outside, so I don't have a real reason to leave them out except the beagles have a very small kennel for all 4 of them.
Well he is extremely hyper and needs to be played with ALL the time but I don't have time until i get off work and when i get home for lunch I let him out to do his business and when he's done he starts to dig I honestly would tend to him constantly if I could but I just can't right now...... he does have a kennel but i hate to leave him in there all the time with all of that pent up energy you know.

Adawg762

Post by Adawg762 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:00 pm

cutty72 wrote:What kind of helped with my lab was "teaching" her to dig.
I took her somewhere she could dig easily (plowed field, or snowbank in the winter) and encouraged her to dig. She then associated the action with a command, and now does it on command, but not so much on her own.

hmmmm well thats pretty "bleep" smart actually, I've never thought of turning into a command thanks cutty I might give this a try!!!!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am

Adawg762 wrote:My dog is digging holes in the yard and even after extensive exersise if I leave him unattended for too long he begins to dig holes. What would you recomend on how to break him of this habbit (without scolding the heck out of him if at all possible) thanks again!!!!
Why don't you want to scold the heck out of the dog? I would try to think like a dog next time you see the pup digging, run out there and grab it by the scruff of its neck and put it on its back while giving a deep NO! Dogs communicate physically with one another and need physically reinforcement, both positive and negative. I'm not saying beat the dog, but make it uncomfortable enough that it thinks twice before digging again.

Tim

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:15 pm

No dog digs like a Jack Russell. :) Always a vole , rabbit , skunk, or mouse to dig up. The dog can smell them above the ground. It helps not to be too committed to a nice back yard. The dog has his area and sticks to that. It's called compromise. :)

PS Is your dog a terrier?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 pm

This is an incidental post and I'm not recommending it, but thought it was interesting. I read William Koehler's books on dog training when I was younger. He was the man that did the animal training for all those classic Disney movies. He had a real extensive background in training all sorts of dogs from obedience to behavior to protection and so on. When he was to break a dog of digging, he would wait until the dog dug a hole then he'd fill it with water, pull the dog over to it, grab the dog by each ear and dunk his head under the water until the dog thought he was drowning. To this for a couple minutes and with every hole until he stops digging.

Just to restate, I'm NOT recommending this... unless you really, really don't like your dog.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:33 pm

:| :| Best be doing that in the dark when the neighbor's aren't watching. I'd be surprised if that dog would ever retrieve in water.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nitecapt

Post by nitecapt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Stoneface wrote:This is an incidental post and I'm not recommending it, but thought it was interesting. I read William Koehler's books on dog training when I was younger. He was the man that did the animal training for all those classic Disney movies. He had a real extensive background in training all sorts of dogs from obedience to behavior to protection and so on. When he was to break a dog of digging, he would wait until the dog dug a hole then he'd fill it with water, pull the dog over to it, grab the dog by each ear and dunk his head under the water until the dog thought he was drowning. To this for a couple minutes and with every hole until he stops digging.

Just to restate, I'm NOT recommending this... unless you really, really don't like your dog.

I tried this and it worked on a dog I had. 2 or 3 times and the digging stopped, but I had to catch her in the act. She still retrieved in 4 foot seas.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Toss their poop in the hole.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Stoneface wrote:This is an incidental post and I'm not recommending it, but thought it was interesting. I read William Koehler's books on dog training when I was younger. He was the man that did the animal training for all those classic Disney movies. He had a real extensive background in training all sorts of dogs from obedience to behavior to protection and so on. When he was to break a dog of digging, he would wait until the dog dug a hole then he'd fill it with water, pull the dog over to it, grab the dog by each ear and dunk his head under the water until the dog thought he was drowning. To this for a couple minutes and with every hole until he stops digging.

My wife's former neighbor did this. "bleep" near killed his dog, but as I recall, he did eventually stop it from digging. He had been a motorcycle cop, forced into retirement after a brain injury from a wreck on the job. I always thought it was the brain injury...but heck, maybe he read Koehler? :lol:

britspan

Post by britspan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

I put the e-collar on my brittany for a few days until I caught her in the act of digging a hole.. Had the collar turned up pretty high and burned her a** on continuous stimulation.. Never seen another hole in the backyard again. Now she just keeps figuring out ways to unlock and open the gates!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:36 pm

cutty72 wrote:What kind of helped with my lab was "teaching" her to dig.

I would have loved to have watched that! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 am

Benny wrote:Toss their poop in the hole.
+1. This is how I broke Kona of Digging. She doesn't dig anymore. She had three good holes going and now won't scratch the dirt.

Joe

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 am

You know what stops a digging dog? A crate when left unattended.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 pm

nooblet wrote:You know what stops a digging dog? A crate when left unattended.
Best point yet.

Crate (or kennel). Also prevents eating sticks, rocks, poop, chewing lawn furniture, dismantling irrigation systems, jumping out of the yard, and a the whole gamut of stuff unsupervised young dogs can get into.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:10 pm

quote="nooblet"]You know what stops a digging dog? A crate when left unattended.[/quote]

x2-- cat poop in the hole works even better :)

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Thats interesting Sharon. For some reason, cat poop is like some kind of treat for my dogs. It's sick... :)

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:04 pm

nooblet wrote:Thats interesting Sharon. For some reason, cat poop is like some kind of treat for my dogs. It's sick... :)
Mine too. Kittie crunchies. :mrgreen:

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
nooblet wrote:Thats interesting Sharon. For some reason, cat poop is like some kind of treat for my dogs. It's sick... :)
Mine too. Kittie crunchies. :mrgreen:
+1 Mine eats it like there not going to make it anymore!! :D :D

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Sharon wrote:quote="nooblet"]You know what stops a digging dog? A crate when left unattended.
x2-- cat poop in the hole works even better :)[/quote]

My dogs think cat poop are just treats! And the younger digs holes all the time. Give the wife something to do filling them up! :D

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 pm

This maybe something that you cant do or may have to wait till winter is over, but Im also from NC and the winter has been kinda mild to say the least, and you may not want to do this either, but if you have access to a water hose and you could catch the dog in the act, you could squirt a lil cold water on the dog and reinforce it with a stern NO.
It is just a suggestion and it maybe a bad idea or it may not work at all, but it sure does sound better than drowning them.