How old is to old?

llewellinsetter

How old is to old?

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 pm

I have 4 year Old mixed breed whom i think could be a great gun dog, shes not gun shy and i am currently ecollar conditioning her she is doing a great job. heres my issue, she wont retrieve she will chase and point phes wings and pick them up, but she just wants to tear them up, i dont know how to get her to bring them back to me. can i force fetch train her? she was a rescue but she can make a great bird dog I KNOW IT!
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: How old is to old?

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 am

Yep, you sure can FF her. I'll admit to a little guilty thing here.... I used Evan Graham's Smartworks to FF my beagle. Yep. He climbed up on the table when I was working my pointer, so now I have a beagle that can fetch. Well, I had a beagle that could fetch. He ended up making "the big time" and is with a good friend of mine that rabbit hunts like 40 days a year (I hunted less than 10).

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

Sounds like it could be conditional too. Try just getting him/her to hold point over that wing. Exercise over. Treat, pat on the head. Training the dog to go into the bushes and fetch a wing will get you nothing in the field. Once the dog is holding poing over the wing, time to move to launchers or some other method of planted live birds. Unless you're raising a flushing dog then I've got it all wrong and my apologies for this commercial interuption :D

You're training the dog for sure right now, but FF comes even later in my opinion. All the other yard work first so the dog has a understanding of a good training regiment, then it will be prepared and disciplined enough to go through various FF methods.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Maybe ill train her to be a flushing dog! she would be amazing at that.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

As long as you get to hunt with your dog I would say it's always a pleasure. Half the days I forget to even take my shotgun with me :D

No not really...I always have my shotgun.

But once she's done her job (whether it be pointing or locating the scent) let her off the hook with a treat and let her know that was the moment she did her job. She's probably messing around with the wing because she doesn't have that correction or inversely the trigger that lets her know she's done it. Like a test that never runs out of questions, even though you got your score of 100 hours ago ya know?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot