Source for pigeons

rinker

Source for pigeons

Post by rinker » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:23 am

I read a lot of posts on here that people have a lot of trouble finding a source for pigeons. I thought I might pass along a tip that may help someone. I don't know if this is true everywhere by where I live there are three, that I know of, weekly livestock auctions within an hour of my house. Along with cows and pigs and other livestock they also auction off small animals, chickens, rabbits etc... They almost always have pigeons, I usually end up paying between 50 cents and $3 per pigeon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Source for pigeons

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 pm

rinker wrote:I read a lot of posts on here that people have a lot of trouble finding a source for pigeons. I thought I might pass along a tip that may help someone. I don't know if this is true everywhere by where I live there are three, that I know of, weekly livestock auctions within an hour of my house. Along with cows and pigs and other livestock they also auction off small animals, chickens, rabbits etc... They almost always have pigeons, I usually end up paying between 50 cents and $3 per pigeon.
Same here

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Vaoutdoors42

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:09 am

I need to find these in my area....

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:18 am

I've never seen pigeons at an auctions yard. Worth going to see though. If you have an auction yard they probably have pigeons flying around and would let you trap them for free. All my ferals were caught with a net at night in barns or under bridges ot abandoned factory building's. It's a chore in the begining but soon turns into a sport!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Maybe worth a call to the local high schools and 4-H clubs to see if anyone is raising them.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:26 am

Carefull about 4H clubs and high school's. Most of the time it's much better not to tell them what you want them for. Even if you don't mean to kill any, the though of using pigeons to train dogs doesn't set well with a lot of people that have them. Of course you might get a bunch of roudy high school kids to go out and trap for you. They don't get discouraged quite as quick as old guy's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mister2

Post by mister2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Geez I am having a hard time catching pigeons. I located a bridge and power lines where theres at least 50+ pigeons all the time. I started baiting with cracked corn a few days and they food would be gone the next day. A couple days later I baited again and set out trap with 2 live pigeons inside. Trap doors were down. After about 1hr the wild pigeons would fly down and start eating around the cage but never go inside. So the next day I tied my 2 pigeons down inside the cage so they couldn't get out and left 1 door open and ran fishing line back to my car so I could release the door myself but this time the pigeons never even came down. I wonder if they could see the fishing line. What am I doing wrong here? I wonder if this trap even works.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm no expert, but I would tie the doors open and put corn all around the trap and inside it. I would do this for several days, probably a few weeks. I would then drop the doors down and put a pigeon in the trap.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Mister2
I had the same problem, birds will eat a lot more corn than you think. Set the bobs up for a couple days with feed in the trap
Then lower the bobs once they know to go in the trap the bobs won't stop them and bam you got birds. Make sure you have enough
Food for all of them or you will have some angy birds :lol:
I also made a catcher out of an old golf ball getter, The type that extends out. Put a net on the end and it reachs about 15 ft, with my arm and
Body length we can get birds from barns and bridges.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:17 pm

rinker
:x thanks for driving up pigeon prices. hard to a buy bird around here now.lol