Keeping Pigeons?

jgregg

Keeping Pigeons?

Post by jgregg » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Looking at setting up a pigeon coop and getting a supply of homing pigeons to train my dog with. He's a 15 week old GSP. Just wondering what kind of setup everyone uses to house their pigeons, how much work it takes to keep them, and how to train them to "Home" so I don't have to keep spending as much money on one-time-use pigeons. Any advice on raising, keeping or training Homers would be appreciated! :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Keeping Pigeons?

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 pm

I can tell you everything you need to know but think if you look in the archives yo will find it all. Look at that and then ask anything you didn't get an answewr for.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jgregg

Post by jgregg » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Haha yes I tried sifting through the posts and found some good stuff. How big does a coop need to be? I'm not sure how many I need either. I'm thinking about 10 or so.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:26 am

If you stay down around that number a 4X4 will be bif enough.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

TimBuckTwo

Post by TimBuckTwo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:24 am

Sorry to hijack. Lots of great info on this site!

I had a question about placement of a coop. I live in a residential area with a fenced in yard. In the spring I want to purchase a coop with some homers to train my brittany (currently 9 months). I am totally new to bird dogging and I will be basing my training using Dave Walker's method as I just received his book. My question is:

Should I not place a coop inside my fenced yard? I have a small yard and my dog would likely be all over it.

Behind me is a few hundred acres of dense woods. I could likely build an enclosure in the woods and put up some type of fencing around it (chicken wire).

Last option, I have a shed with vinyl siding on it, what about putting the coop in the shed? I guess I could put a hole to the outside of the shed for the homers to return...

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:24 pm

tim
The shed will work fine, and save you some coin. we did the same thing to our pole barn. Just partition off a section of the shed, put in a rehome door. you also will need some vent windows.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

jgregg

Post by jgregg » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 pm

I'm going to try the shed idea too. makes a lot more sense

Lowcountry SC

Post by Lowcountry SC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Don't use an open container for food/water, or they'll get inside it and crap over everything. Instead, use a half gallon container with a hole cut so they can stick their head inside to feed/drink. Also, I used chicken wire on mine and a red tail hawk tore it to shreds and had a buffet.