House Breaking Woes

Jordan

House Breaking Woes

Post by Jordan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 am

I have an 11 week old GSP male that I am house breaking. I have caught him squatting and peeing enough times that he knows it is bad and that it doesn't please me. He has since gotten wise and now pees standing up. I'm having a heck of a time catching this rascal when he does this and since I cannot correct him, this behavior is proving to be a major obstacle in fully house training him.

If someone has some helpful advice, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!
WANTED: 20ga. American Arms Derby, Tristar Brittany, BSA Royal or any mid-range Spanish SxS

Friedelsheim's Uptown Down South

Firemedic

Re: House Breaking Woes

Post by Firemedic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:28 am

Crate train him. Keep him in the crate for a few hours. As soon as you let him out, take him to the door, and go out with him. Do not come back in until he goes. Play with him no more than 15-20 minutes before you take him out again. If you aren't keeping a constant eye on him, in the crate he goes. We have a 10 wk old pointer here now, for the last two weeks. He has only peed in our house once, and that was my wife's fault for not watching him. Follow what I just said, and you'll have the same results.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:55 am

Grab the little guy by the scruff of his neck and shake him and toss him outside. Do it every time he less inside wether you catch him in progress it just as he finishes. Keep him in the same room with you when he is not in a crate.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:04 am

ultracarry wrote:Grab the little guy by the scruff of his neck and shake him and toss him outside. Do it every time he less inside wether you catch him in progress it just as he finishes. Keep him in the same room with you when he is not in a crate.

If you crate train like I said, there won't be a need to "shake him".

Manhandling or rubbing their nose in it doesn't do anything positive for the pup.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks guys.

Firemedic, he is crate trained and I am always sure to take him outside immediately after letting him out of the crate. He is very good about peeing a soon as he is let outside. I just wish that he would get the clue that it isn't ok to piss in the house and to stand by the door when he needs to go. We've been at this for over four weeks. He should know the deal. The incognito pissing while standing up doesn't help.
Last edited by Jordan on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
WANTED: 20ga. American Arms Derby, Tristar Brittany, BSA Royal or any mid-range Spanish SxS

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:12 am

Crate training works... also, although it's a pain in the butt... take him outside every half hour or so... actually tell him to "pee" or "poop" and you can even take him to where in the yard you want him to go... the dog will get used to going outside and if you highly parise him and reward him when he does, he will get the picture fairly quickly... You have to make it so normal to go outside and pee that he doesn't want to do it in the house... patience, consistancy, and ya hafta be just a little more bull headed than the dog... :wink: I'm not beyond grabbing a dog and giving it a good shake if it's defying you, but ya need more of the praise/reward to show the dog what yer lookin for... the dog wants to please you, but remember, it's still just a toddler... good luck... it'll happen...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:23 am

Timing is everything. Attach a leash to your belt and the dog. You'll be right there if he pees and can correct him. If it's 3+ minutes after the pee that you notice, don't correct; pup will have no idea what you are mad about.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 am

Shortfat, thank you for replying. I do everything that you say EXACTLY.

He has his spot outside where he likes to go. I consistently praise him after he goes ("good pee pee!"). Perhaps I'm being unrealistic in my expectations, but I thought surely four weeks would be sufficient time.

Sharon, thanks for posting. I may try the leash method. I am always careful about scolding unless he is caught in the act.

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:52 am

Sharon wrote:Timing is everything. Attach a leash to your belt and the dog. You'll be right there if he pees and can correct him. If it's 3+ minutes after the pee that you notice, don't correct; pup will have no idea what you are mad about.
I did this religiously until mine was 5 or 6 months. Sometimes I still do it if I'm busy. I have a 15 foot nylon line that has hooks at both ends. Wal-Mart carries them for like 5 dollars. I hook one end to the leg of a sturdy table or my belt loop and the other to my pup. That way she doesn't wander all over the house and I can keep an eye on her.

Also, like other people mentioned I've found that you absolutely have to take the pup out at least every 30 minutes or maybe even 15 to 20 when playing. Every time I let Ellie go over 30 minutes she would go in the house without fail even up until maybe 5 or 6 months.

11 weeks is pretty early to expect the pup to fully grasp the idea. I remember Ellie was around 14 or 15 weeks when it finally clicked for her. We're now working on having her ring a strip of jingle bells when she wants to go out. Consistency is really important. I always say "let's go outside" when we're getting ready to go out the door and I always say "go potty" when we get to her spot.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 am

There's a number of ways to do it and the crate is one of them. Leave him in the crate till he wwhines a bit and then right outside, make him whine just a bit. Or you can put a blanket down for him and tie him on a short teather, like 18". Leave him there till he whines a bit. Both methods work on the idea that a dog won't mess it's own nest. There are exception to that but they are vfery rare. Don't get mad, don't chastize the pup, don't shake the pup and don't rub it's nose in anything. Those are old school thought's that eve I don't try anynore and I'm pretty old school.

Another way, one I never use but was told about by a friend years ago is to keep the pup on a leash and sit with him. He has to be quiet and be still. He get's restless and out he goes. My old friend told me about it after I saw a pup I'd given him house break in a couple days. I have never used it because the confinement method works so well.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am

Firemedic wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Grab the little guy by the scruff of his neck and shake him and toss him outside. Do it every time he less inside wether you catch him in progress it just as he finishes. Keep him in the same room with you when he is not in a crate.

Manhandling or rubbing their nose in it doesn't do anything positive for the pup.
Exactly right. Use the crate and you won't have the problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 am

I agree with the crate. My pointer learned pretty quick but we have a dog door in the back room. So, she followed the other dogs out. Now, the one thing I did have to do is walk her out in the yard on the leash during the rain. She now does it on her own no matter the weather. It could be pouring and she will come in wet but no pee on the floor.

Joe

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm

If you're using the crate that's a really good start. Correcting him while he pees in the house makes you feel better but just teaches him to pee "incognito" so you don't catch him. He knows you get mad when he pees in the house but he's too small to make the connection between going outside and not getting in trouble yet. I don't do any real correction with them when they're so little on housetraining, I just pick them up and carry them outside to their "good spot" and tell them how good they are when they finish peeing outside. But you need to really take the initiative to watch the dog CONSTANTLY while he's inside and not in his crate. You need to watch him like an eagle when he is not in his crate - you don't have to do this for too long, maybe a few weeks, but just watch him like a hawk any second he is out of the crate.

Also, be absolutely sure there is no residual pee or poop smells in the house - vinegar, bleach and other "home remedies" don't take the smell out (from the dog's superior sense of smell). You need to use an enzymatic cleaner like "icky poo" or "Nature's Miracle". Just commit to watching him like crazy for a few weeks, then it will all be over and you'll have a well-trained house dog.

Cooper

Post by Cooper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Here is what worked for me with my GSP and only had 2 accidents in the house....which were my fault for not reading him properly when he started towards the door.

1. Always take the pup out after every meal. Say go potty, or whatever you like to say and then praise.
2. Always take the pup out upon waking from a nap. Encourage to go then praise.
3. Always take the pup out every 30 minutes while awake, after a play session, whatever it doesnt matter, just take out regularly. Encourage as above and praise.
4. Never let the dog out of your sight while not in crate. EVER, until fully broken.
5. Always take outside after being in crate for a period of time.

Doing this mine was going to the slider to be let out in about a week and it wasnt long until he was banging his paw on the glass to get our attention.

Takes some diligence, but well worth it. He learned very fast not getting opportunities to make mistakes.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Jordan wrote:...he is crate trained and I am always sure to take him outside immediately after letting him out of the crate. He is very good about peeing a soon as he is let outside. I just wish that he would get the clue that it isn't ok to piss in the house and to stand by the door when he needs to go. We've been at this for over four weeks. He should know the deal.
How 'bout always sure to take him inside and immediately back into his crate - unless you're glued to him, as Sharon and others recommended?

A pup earns its freedom from getting crated but it shouldn't earn your enmity by not "knowing the deal." Pups don't know the deal, or the drill. They just know nature calls them and they answer, wherever "answering" is convenient - and so long as it ain't where they live and want to keep clean (i.e., the crate).

Unless you can keep your eyes (and maybe yourself) riveted on the pup when he's out of the crate indoors, he ought not be out of the crate in the first place.

MG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:47 pm

crackerd wrote:
Jordan wrote:...he is crate trained and I am always sure to take him outside immediately after letting him out of the crate. He is very good about peeing a soon as he is let outside. I just wish that he would get the clue that it isn't ok to piss in the house and to stand by the door when he needs to go. We've been at this for over four weeks. He should know the deal.
How 'bout always sure to take him inside and immediately back into his crate - unless you're glued to him, as Sharon and others recommended?

A pup earns its freedom from getting crated but it shouldn't earn your enmity by not "knowing the deal." Pups don't know the deal, or the drill. They just know nature calls them and they answer, wherever "answering" is convenient - and so long as it ain't where they live and want to keep clean (i.e., the crate).

Unless you can keep your eyes (and maybe yourself) riveted on the pup when he's out of the crate indoors, he ought not be out of the crate in the first place.

MG
Very true. The deal he will understand is when he gets out of the crate he goes straight outside till he goes. Comes back in to play with YOU and when that is over he goes straight back into the crate to start the whole deal over. Wetting on the floor is a sign you don't know the deal, not him. With proper training he will figure out your deal in time,but for now you need to figure out his deal.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I did the leash and squirt bottle method. kept him in sight and whenever he squatted I sprayed him in the face with water and said no and then picked him up and brought him out side and praised him for peeing in the yard. He caught on really fast. Over christmas we were ice skating across this lake (we haven't had any snow yet so the ice is perfect) and my pup was acting like he had to pee so I gave the command and he turned and ran straight for the shore. I guess the ice seemed too much like a wood or tile floor it was so flat haha.

You might as well start hanging a bell on the door as well and teaching the pup to knock it with its nose whenever it wants to go out. I think my pup was about 3 - 3.5months when he finally started knocking the bell on his own. Just some advice with that: don't let the pup train you to come let it back in the house after you let it out, or else you'll end up being the dogs personal butler letting him in and out all day. The pup might jump on the door or bark and whine and you may have to correct that, but it will eventually learn to wait patiently at the door for you.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I use the crate and my puppy finds a way to direct his pee outside his crate!! I think he is lifting his leg and pointing it so none of it ends up in his crate...:evil:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Now that's a smart dog. Be happy . :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:21 pm

DogNewbie wrote: You might as well start hanging a bell on the door as well and teaching the pup to knock it with its nose whenever it wants to go out. I think my pup was about 3 - 3.5months when he finally started knocking the bell on his own. Just some advice with that: don't let the pup train you to come let it back in the house after you let it out, or else you'll end up being the dogs personal butler letting him in and out all day. The pup might jump on the door or bark and whine and you may have to correct that, but it will eventually learn to wait patiently at the door for you.

ha ha ha!!! My sister's 1 year old GSP taught my 7 mo old pup how to use the bell. It is the most distracting thing ever - you want them to learn to use it, but I swear she's just testing me now. I must have let her out 10 times one day. She just keeps knocking the bell until someone lets her out. It's kind of funny and kind of irritating. But she really knows what the bell means for sure!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Firemedic wrote:

Could have fooled me... What will the mother do if she doesn't like something the pup does??? Kinda similar right? Mine has only leaked in the house two times...... Shakin not stirred... I think dogs understand consequences more than positive reinforcement...

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Jordan take your time it will come. I`m going thru the same thing with my 2 i won't get ruff with him yet he still don't understand. When mine comes out the crate its out side, then i let them play for about 5-10min max then either back outside or in the crate. When they get excited at this age they are going were ever they are. Of all the things GSP pick up real fast this isn't one of them. If they did they would be to perfect and then nobody could pick on them:) Good luck!! keep the pics coming.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Cooper wrote:Here is what worked for me with my GSP and only had 2 accidents in the house....which were my fault for not reading him properly when he started towards the door.

1. Always take the pup out after every meal. Say go potty, or whatever you like to say and then praise.
2. Always take the pup out upon waking from a nap. Encourage to go then praise.
3. Always take the pup out every 30 minutes while awake, after a play session, whatever it doesnt matter, just take out regularly. Encourage as above and praise.
4. Never let the dog out of your sight while not in crate. EVER, until fully broken.
5. Always take outside after being in crate for a period of time.

Doing this mine was going to the slider to be let out in about a week and it wasnt long until he was banging his paw on the glass to get our attention.

Takes some diligence, but well worth it. He learned very fast not getting opportunities to make mistakes.
Another old school guy. Years ago that is what we did. Relied on taaking the pup out at certain times that there was a good chance he had to go. Lot of ways to acomplish it. I'm not so sure one is better than the other but one will probably work better for you. Keep the things cooper wrote down in mind. If your pup is out of the crate it's good to know times to look for. Punishing the pup may be a long way to get around to where you want to be. I've never had that work for me. That was an even older school than mine. My mom and dad were certain that spanking when caught in the act or rubbing a nose in it would work. Unfortunatelly they also think most the dogs they got were stupid!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:16 am

RoostersMom wrote:
DogNewbie wrote: You might as well start hanging a bell on the door as well and teaching the pup to knock it with its nose whenever it wants to go out. I think my pup was about 3 - 3.5months when he finally started knocking the bell on his own. Just some advice with that: don't let the pup train you to come let it back in the house after you let it out, or else you'll end up being the dogs personal butler letting him in and out all day. The pup might jump on the door or bark and whine and you may have to correct that, but it will eventually learn to wait patiently at the door for you.

ha ha ha!!! My sister's 1 year old GSP taught my 7 mo old pup how to use the bell. It is the most distracting thing ever - you want them to learn to use it, but I swear she's just testing me now. I must have let her out 10 times one day. She just keeps knocking the bell until someone lets her out. It's kind of funny and kind of irritating. But she really knows what the bell means for sure!
haha yeah that sounds irritating. What does she do once she's out the door? Does she just do her duties and want to come back in or just run around for a little? It's not so much the wanting to go out that irritates me but if the pup keeps trying to get me to let him back in when he wants to, that's annoying. Usually my pup will only knock the bell if he has to go to the bathroom or if he really needs to get some energy out. Sometimes he'll knock it when I'm busy and can't let him out and he'll get all annoyed and knock it harder and if I still can't let him out he'll come looking for me all annoyed like "what the heck man? I rang the bell!" It's kinda funny. But yeah, if she rings the bell but doesn't go to the bathroom I'd start making her wait outside for a bit and just go back to whatever you were doing until you finish that. Then go let her back in and I'll bet she'll pick up that if she's going out just for the sake of going out she'd better plan on being out there for a while and might stop ringing the bell as much.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:14 pm

The bell trick works. I do that too

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Firemedic wrote:Crate train him. Keep him in the crate for a few hours. As soon as you let him out, take him to the door, and go out with him. Do not come back in until he goes. Play with him no more than 15-20 minutes before you take him out again. If you aren't keeping a constant eye on him, in the crate he goes. We have a 10 wk old pointer here now, for the last two weeks. He has only peed in our house once, and that was my wife's fault for not watching him. Follow what I just said, and you'll have the same results.

Lol, way to pass the blame to Lisa.... Men always got to point the finger ;P

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 pm

KellyM87 wrote:
Firemedic wrote:Crate train him. Keep him in the crate for a few hours. As soon as you let him out, take him to the door, and go out with him. Do not come back in until he goes. Play with him no more than 15-20 minutes before you take him out again. If you aren't keeping a constant eye on him, in the crate he goes. We have a 10 wk old pointer here now, for the last two weeks. He has only peed in our house once, and that was my wife's fault for not watching him. Follow what I just said, and you'll have the same results.

Lol, way to pass the blame to Lisa.... Men always got to point the finger ;P

Hey, what can I say. Under my watchful eye, nothing happens. Lol