New Launchers

donnie_19

New Launchers

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Looking into getting a couple of new remote launchers. Who has the best the market these days? Looking for reliable and features.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New Launchers

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Dogtra is excellen- I don't know about the best.
reliable for years

http://www.dogtra.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

larry

Post by larry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm

I have 4 Dogtras for about 5 years, no problems.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:16 pm

I have two DT systems and I like how you can load the birds threw the trap door but I like the dogtra electronics better.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:16 pm

I have DTs, think they are a about 3 years old and haven't had any problems. Have used a friend's Dogtras, they're nice but not willing to switch till mine die.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 pm

According to popular opinion, Dogtra seems to be the favorite. More people go Dogtra if they can fork over the extra money for the extra quality. But, DT is nothing to scoff at.

Dogtra has a one mile range (but how often are you going to launch of bird from a mile away?) and can operate up to 16 launchers from one transmitter. Pretty slick. Besides that I've heard they just last forever and never fault, but couldn't personally vouch for that.

DT also has a 16 unit capacity, but only operates up to 700 yards. I've never operated one, but they advertise a "quiet release" system to keep from spooking the dogs. Also, they have a side door on them so you can set the launcher then drop the side door, put the bird in the launcher, then close it up. This keeps the launcher from throwing a bird up in your face while you're loading it... not that I've ever done that. :oops:

You can see what I mean about side doors here:
http://www.trophytimegundogs.com/store/ ... 00x500.jpg
http://di1-1.shoppingshadow.com/images/ ... te+Lar.jpg

Both systems have a beeper so you can locate them in the field, not that I've ever lost track of where I've planted a bird. :oops:

Dogtra can run over $100 more for a single unit - transmitter, receiver and launcher - and a also a chunk for additional launcher that you want to add on down the line.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:39 pm

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I have done considerable research on line but value the feedback from the people that have used them. Leaning a little towards the Dogtra but the DT comes in a close second. Either must be good because there don't seem to be any used ones around.

brule

Post by brule » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 am

Just to chime in on this one too, since I'm in the market for a launcher myself. Anybody use the Lion Country Supply launcher? Looks comparable to the Dogtra's and DT's, but a bit cheaper.

moonshinekennel

Post by moonshinekennel » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 am

I have used lion country remote launchers for 3 years now with any problem.

Dale

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:01 am

The Lion Country look like the old Innotek. I have messed with a few of Innotek remotes and dog fences in the past and find the electronics are cheap and unreliable.

larry

Post by larry » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am

larry wrote:I have 4 Dogtras for about 5 years, no problems.
My mistake, went and looked and there DT's.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

brule wrote:Just to chime in on this one too, since I'm in the market for a launcher myself. Anybody use the Lion Country Supply launcher? Looks comparable to the Dogtra's and DT's, but a bit cheaper.
I have two and am borrowing an autobacker. No problems so far. Had them for a year. Haven't tested the range on them, but I've launcher birds from about 100 yards. Im looking to get a few higgins releasers here pretty soon.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

I have 2 of the LCS. Havent had any problems yet, as they are only a year old. They have served their purpose though. If I was going to be training multiple dogs over a period of time I would go with the dogtra. I like to believe you get what you pay for.
Last edited by ROTTnBRITT on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:07 am

Any size problems using pigeons in the quail units?

MTR

Post by MTR » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:57 am

I have 4 of the Lion Country Units. I have had them for 2 years. I bought 2 new from LCS and picked up an older & used, pair for another $100 from a friend who was getting out of the game. I use them a couple of times a week from March Until September over the last 2 years. I have had zero issues with them. They have a lifetime warranty on the electronics from LCS, so that's a bonus to me. No, they don't have all the bells and whistles but for the price and for an amateur, I have found them to be a great addition. I also bought them for a few other reasons, 1) cost 2) not my career as a trainer 3) I should only have to use these for the first 2 years or so until the dog is steady, and 4) other people in my club have these so when we have a group training, we can easily pair them to one remote and set out and load birds into up to 8 units in the field for training. Being able to piggyback on other people's to put out a number of traps was a big factor in my decision.

EDIT - they work fine for Pigeons and chucker
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 pm

thanks for all the responses. I went with the DT systems.

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I would have suggested a releaser and not a launcher.

http://higginsgundogs.com/store/higgins ... -releaser/

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Good call, Donnie. I'm on my 3rd yr with mine and very happy with it - I've launched pigeons, chukars, quail, and phez with no problems.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I looked at the release but we occasionally use quail and they don't fly very good, at times they don't fly at all, no matter how much pressure the dog applies.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Based up on the reviews in gundogsupply, I got 2 DT remotes. Quite satified. Love the beeper to find them. They stay cocked when the misbehaving pup tackles them. Very solid.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:47 pm

You konw, unless you plan on doing a lot of dog's, the best means nothing. If you do one dog within a year the trap will be collecting dust. I do think that Dogtra and DT make goog traps, i've used on of them and can't remember which. But it was very good. I had a set of R&R Farms traps out of Amer Field for a bit over 20 yrs. I got them to replace Wag Ags I couldn't keep working. They were a lot cheaper and just didn't look as nice as the Wag Ags but they sure outlasted the expensive one. I gave that set to a young guy with his first dog about a year ago. To get photo's of dog's, I set the dog up with traps and to do that I bought a Lion Country trap. I do not care if it's the old Inotech, I only care that it works. I believe that when I can afford it, I'm goons get two more. I often have people bring dogs by to start and to work on problems. I'll trust the Lion Country till it tell's me it's junk, don't see that happening right now.

I would encougare you not to get caught up in the whats best cycle. What's best generally depends on who your talking to. There are a lot of people that have never used omre than one brand of equipment no matter what it is. To tell them their equip is not up to snuff, is frutile at best!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 pm

I have been using the LCS electronics on my releasers and launchers for quite awhile. They work fine. I had 1 that was faulty and LCS made it good right away, great customer service. I know of others that have great luck with dt and dogtra. If I was training 1 dog I would not spend the money for launchers. I would just buy great flight quail and train on loose birds, that way still works fine.

Mo