Bird dog Interaction with non bird dogs

Gr0usehunt3r

Bird dog Interaction with non bird dogs

Post by Gr0usehunt3r » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:47 am

I have a 11 week old puppy who we have been introducing to lots of different people and other dogs.

I am concerned about what kind of behavior I should be letting the puppy get away with when she is with these other dogs. They like to run circles around the yard and jump all over each other. It is great for tiring out the young pup but I am worried about future behavior, I guess both from a house pet perspective and for working with other dogs in the field.

When I settle her down and keep her sitting, I get the guilt trip from accompanying crowd "she is just a puppy" or "let them play".

What should her behavior be when she is around other dogs or I guess what is acceptable? I am really struggling on getting the rest of folks on board with what is required for bird dogs. I am thinking it would help if I could find a good book, "puppy to great bird dog" would be the title if I had to choose one. I am looking for steps to follow weekly and also some text to back me up when I am making the not so popular decisions for my pup. I want to do right by my pup but I am a novice as this is my first bird dog. I feel that I am not being aggressive enough in her training but due to lack of knowledge not laziness.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Winchey

Re: Bird dog Interaction with non bird dogs

Post by Winchey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 am

She is 11 weeks old, let her be a puppy and play with other dogs. The other dogs will teach her how far she can go and she will learn how to interact with other dogs. Best to leave them to their own devices unless they are going to (actually fight) If she is worth a "bleep" when she grows up she will be to wrapped up in hunting when hunting to bother with other dogs.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 am

She's just a puppy. Let them play. :lol: :D (Sorry couldn't resist).

Sounds to me like you are doing a nice job socializing your pup.

I wouldn't worry about what your pup's behavior is - moreso what the other dogs' behavior is.

If they are just playing, fine - great socialization. However, pups need to be protected against other aggressive dogs...being attacked can most definitely have an impact on your dogs development. I hate dog parks for pups for that reason - too many poorly socialized, poorly controlled critters with clueless owners.

Maybe this article will help you feel better about allowing the dogs to romp: http://www.newhopecattledogs.com/forms/ ... 0PUPPY.pdf

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 am

Puppy should play and socialize with every dog you can imagine. Vaccines should be in place of course :D
This socializing is optimum for later, you'll see why when you run into a grumpy GSP that tries to bite the head off your dog.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 am

At 11 weeks, you are a long way from having a working dog. What you have right now is an 11 week old ball of energy. Treat him as such.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 am

I concur with above posters. You have a tiny baby - let her play however the other dogs want to (with the exception of letting her get hurt), let her bark, bite, run, chase, jump and act like a crazy fool. My older pointers still do that sometimes, dog to dog interaction is a socially learned behavior, dogs don't "know" which is a hunting dog or which is not. My dogs play the same with the chinese crested down the road as they do with the chessie....except they are a bit softer with the small dog.

Is there a specific behavior you're worried that your dog will emulate? Because I can't think of one wrong thing that can come from dogs having dog interaction at this age and beyond really (with the exception of dogs with no vaccine history or aggressive dogs).

I think I'm unusual on here because my number one dog-owning rule is that my dogs behave in the field well enough that I can hunt with anybody's dogs and mine will behave well no matter what. Killing birds is secondary to having a fun hunt with little hacking, no dog fights, and no dog interference.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 am

Gr0usehunt3r wrote:I have a 11 week old puppy who we have been introducing to lots of different people and other dogs.

I am concerned about what kind of behavior I should be letting the puppy get away with when she is with these other dogs. They like to run circles around the yard and jump all over each other. It is great for tiring out the young pup but I am worried about future behavior, I guess both from a house pet perspective and for working with other dogs in the field.

When I settle her down and keep her sitting, I get the guilt trip from accompanying crowd "she is just a puppy" or "let them play".

What should her behavior be when she is around other dogs or I guess what is acceptable? I am really struggling on getting the rest of folks on board with what is required for bird dogs. I am thinking it would help if I could find a good book, "puppy to great bird dog" would be the title if I had to choose one. I am looking for steps to follow weekly and also some text to back me up when I am making the not so popular decisions for my pup. I want to do right by my pup but I am a novice as this is my first bird dog. I feel that I am not being aggressive enough in her training but due to lack of knowledge not laziness.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Your puppy is a puppy and will not be a bird dog puppy for several months yet. And even then there is little difference except for what you will be trying to teach or control.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Benny wrote:Puppy should play and socialize with every dog you can imagine. Vaccines should be in place of course :D
This socializing is optimum for later, you'll see why when you run into a grumpy GSP that tries to bite the head off your dog.
Or a farm dog that doesn't have a sense of humor.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Gr0usehunt3r

Post by Gr0usehunt3r » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I should have noted that I was worried about her focus when around other dogs whether it be out in the field or just walking in the neighborhood. I see a lot of dogs go nuts when they see other dogs and by nuts I mean barking, jumping, and uncontrollable. I am not sure what triggers that type of behavior but I figured it had to do with how they interacted with other dogs at a young age.

I did like Winchey's statement:
If she is worth a "bleep" when she grows up she will be to wrapped up in hunting when hunting to bother with other dogs.
The way I see it, every dog starts with a 100% potential, obviously the degree of potential varies dog to dog as they are all unique. I figure for every mistake I make, I am subtracting from what she could be in the future. I guess I feel like I owe it to her to limit the amount of mistakes I make.

Like I said before I am a novice so the advice was much appreciated.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:43 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I think I'm unusual on here because my number one dog-owning rule is that my dogs behave in the field well enough that I can hunt with anybody's dogs and mine will behave well no matter what. Killing birds is secondary to having a fun hunt with little hacking, no dog fights, and no dog interference.
If you are unusual taking this stance, then so am I. I'm no fan of breaking up dog fights in the field, or even being concerned there is a chance it could happen. My dogs have to be good citizens, period.

Grousehunter - no worries. You will be fine and so will your pup. The socialization you are putting it through (hopefully people, dogs, cats, kids, cars, trucks, bike, horses, and so on...) will make him bulletproof as an adult. Think of the hours and hours of exposure and gentle guidance he'll be getting. All of that does add up...

Bill Tarrant (author of Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog - the Delmar Smith Method and many other books) tells a story about a young cowdog that was outstanding in his work. The cowdog's owner was a 20 year old kid who was a ranch hand and also enjoyed some rodeo himself. When Tarrant complimented the kid on how well his dog was trained, the kid's reply was something like "Thanks for the compliment, sir, but he ain't been trained at all. He just goes where I go, that's all. He's with me 24/7 - rides in the back of my truck and goes every place I go. I guess we just learned to listen to each other."

If you spend lots of time with your dog and expose him to lots of different things, he's going to amaze you when he grows up.