Hate to be like everybody else....but looking for advice! :)

POk3s

Hate to be like everybody else....but looking for advice! :)

Post by POk3s » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum and training dogs (like most who have posted on this board). I've read a ton the last few days on this forum and have already learned quite a bit of new knowledge! Got a GWP back in December of 2010 and only have had one year of training under both of our belts! I hunt waterfowl mostly but of course want to hunt all kinds of upland birds now that I have a puppy. Haven't had him on anything (other then waterfowl) but Sage Grouse and pen raised pheasants/chukars.

Basically trained him all summer so that i could hunt waterfowl but now want to switch gears into training him more on the upland side of things. My main concern is him wanting to always chew on the birds when they're on the ground. He will go get a duck or goose in the water and bring it back to me....95% of the time...the other 5% he goes to the opposite shore line because it's closer is all I can guess. I'm thinking that his mind set is he just wants to get out of the water so he can have fun and chew on the birds no matter how many times I throw the bird back in the water for him to get (which he of course loves). Just wondering how to go about him now chewing on the birds like that. When he brings them back to me he will sometimes try and run passed me with it in his mouth or sometimes will drop it right at the shore wanting to start chewing. After my "MINE!" command he will leave it alone but as you can imagine it gets real frustrating when he brings it to the opposite shore as there's nothing I can do about it (hunting on a river). This also of course takes place while hunting upland game...since it's already on dry ground he just goes over to it and wants to rip the feathers out until I get over there.

I appreciate all and any advice. I just ordered a check cord which I previously didn't have and I'm thinking that if I can play "fetch" with him with a dead bird and then pull him back to me when he gets his mouth on the bird and then praise him when he gets back to me WITH the bird that this repetition will do it....or am I wrong? Should I teach forced hold first or go about it like I'm thinking.

Thanks again, oh and PS I'm 20 years old and doing this all on my own with my first puppy. I know I probably did some things wrong or screwed up some things in the early going but obviously he's forgiven me :) and I'm trying to do things as close to perfect as I can from now on!

Thanks guys....oh and here's some pics from the season

^^^He got all these geese...first time he's had to get that many geese on one retrieve but it was freezing and close to dark and he was shivering up a storm so he didn't get to be in the hero shots

10r

Re: Hate to be like everybody else....but looking for advice! :)

Post by 10r » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 am

sounds like it's time for a good force fetch program to be started

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 am

Force fetch will fix it. It takes about 4-6 weeks from start to finish. I would stop yelling MINE ... This is making the problem worse, and putting u in competition with Ur dog for the bird.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 am

Nice dog! First, where did you get him and what's his breeding? Second, where are you in Wyoming? (I'm originally from western NE). You are getting into some nice birds, for sure! Good job getting him exposed to so many wild birds.

Here's the two most popular force fetch systems. If you are going to do it yourself, I'd highly suggest getting a DVD and watching it several times. Written material can't communicate timing, inflection, etc.

Evan Graham

http://www.rushcreekpress.com/

Mark Payton

http://www.tbicatalog.com/TBICatalog2/e ... eving.html

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you for the responses everyone. I did plan on buying a few dvds this winter. Are those two that everyone would suggest.

Secondly, Idon't want to come off as stubborn and this might be a stupid question but is saying "mine" that bad? It just seemed to come to mind when training and he now drops it on "mine" and it's not like he speaks english, he just identifies that sound with dropping the bird,bumper, or whatever....and then he runs to the waters edge and wants me to throw it again which I often do, which is why I find it weird he would rather chew on it. I guess that's just being a dog. I have since learned to let him kind of hold on to it as long as he wants but it's kind of hard when he's going away from me lol.

AzDoggin, I got him from Tremonton, Utah and not even from a "gun dog" breeder. I just kind of hoped to get lucky and get a dog I could hunt with. So far I've been lucky as he picks onto everything really quick as long as I do my part! He learned how to sit when I got him home in 10 minutes using non verbal commands LOL. One thing is for sure, I will never hunt birds without a dog again. I have so much more fun watching my buddy work then I do shooting them. It's a great feeling to see the training come together as green as I am. I live in Southwest Wyoming. Public land hunting at it's finest :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:36 am

If I had to wear that silly looking vest I'd eat your birds too! :mrgreen: On second though, I don't care for duck much. You got the right answer I think, force fetch.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm

hahahaha! Well I figured the light skinned little guy needed it! It makes him feel cool! (I think)

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 pm

POk3s wrote: I will never hunt birds without a dog again. I have so much more fun watching my buddy work then I do shooting (birds). It's a great feeling to see the training come together as green as I am. I live in Southwest Wyoming. Public land hunting at it's finest :)
You may be 20 years old, but you speak wisdom right there. The dog makes all the difference. It's awesome you found a great dog, too.

Gotta love all that public land. Once I get my pup, maybe we can do a "hunt swap." Az has millions of acres of public land...as does New Mexico. I haven't asked "permission" to hunt for years!

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

sounds good to me. I'd love to get on some quail and other species. I have permission for geese on some private property but this is the first year I've had permission for it and never even hunted it...it's 2 hours away. Otherwise, public land around here all the way. Come during sage grouse season and we can limit out every day...only a week long season or so, and limit is only 2. But waterfowl is also going on during that season.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:10 pm

We've got Evan Graham's Smart Series - it is working well for us. I'd suggest it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 pm

RoostersMom wrote:We've got Evan Graham's Smart Series - it is working well for us. I'd suggest it.
I don't think you will find one better.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Sounds good. Thanks a bunch guys. Sounds like I'll lean that way!