Using vibrate feature to teach a command

wberry85

Using vibrate feature to teach a command

Post by wberry85 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:28 pm

I have always learned not to use electronic stimulation to teach a command, only for correction after a dog is taught the command on a CC. Since vibrate is not painful can I use it as pressure to teach a command with?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Using vibrate feature to teach a command

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:42 pm

wberry85 wrote:I have always learned not to use electronic stimulation to teach a command, only for correction after a dog is taught the command on a CC. Since vibrate is not painful can I use it as pressure to teach a command with?
IMO a light correction is probably less stimulation than the vibration feature, neither one is painful.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

You could but then you won't be able to use it for other things. I use it to call the dog in when he is afar. Think about what you might need that bzzz for before you decide.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:43 pm

You basically answered your own question. Pressure is what you are trying to avoid, not because it is painful for the dog its just confusing for the dog. Dogs learn by association and use cues to relate wether something is safe or dangerous in there environment. Following a given cue wether intentional or not will get the dog the reward it seeks. If the vibrate mode is perceived by the dog as pressure I would avoid it. If the dog does not perceive it as pressure it can be a cue but will be limited to the specific behavior you are going to teach. In the absence of the collar the cue will not be available to you.verbal or physical cues would be better because you are not likely to leave your mouth or arms back at the truck and they dont need batteries. Get the book Culture clash by Jean donaldson It is available on amazon for around ten dollars. Save the collar for known commands. This book will help you learn how a dog learns and how to properly train wanted behaviors. Once the behaviors are learned then it would be the time to learn how to properly use the collar. Also check out the George Hickox web site, there are published articles on his site that have great info in them. Good luck.