Restless in the house

nebraskabirdman

Restless in the house

Post by nebraskabirdman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:35 am

I have a 6 month old English Field Cocker and had a few questions about making them a indoor dog as well as a hunter. I understand that she's still a pup and pups have tons of energy but she can not sit still. We can go out and walk/hunt in the field for 5 or 6 miles, come home, and she's still hundred miles and hour.

She has plenty of chew toys and KONGS, and those keep her occupied for a half hour or so, thn shes flying around the house again.

Do I need to exercise her even more then what I do now to get her to at least chill out for a little while inside the house? I'd like to think that I'm in ok shape, but she wears me out somedays. From 0600 to 2100 hrs its go, go, go. I've raised pups in the past, but I cant remember any of them being this restless when inside. Thanks. :roll:
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Restless in the house

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 am

There was a good post on this a while back about a GSP I think that had "too much" energy in the house. I think you need to train the dog to settle in the house. I use a crate, you could tether the dog to you or tie her to her bed area. I'd do something that taught her how to be by herself and quiet. You can also teach her the command "blanket" or whatever you use - continually putting her back on the blanket every time she gets up. She needs to learn to "self-soothe" and that she is expected to be calmer in the house. If I can do it with year old shelter foster pointers, you can sure do it with your dog that is bonded to you. You just have to be firm and absolutely rock solid with follow through.

nebraskabirdman

Post by nebraskabirdman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 am

I do use a crate with her and she seems to be ok in that, but once shes out of the crate its game on!! I like the idea of leashing her to me while in the house and keeping her next to me, I'll have to try that. She has a dog bed in the living room that I will try to "command her" to lay in it and stay put until I say so. Thanks for the advice.
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33593

this thread had some good advice and I think a similar problem.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

I may have misunderstood you but this may be the problem : "We can go out and walk/hunt in the field for 5 or 6 miles, come home, and she's still hundred miles and hour."

Is she running hard off leash . A walk is not going to do it. An hour off leash and the dog will be sleeping. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett