Tips To Increase Dog's Range

bb560m

Tips To Increase Dog's Range

Post by bb560m » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 am

Right now my guy (12 mos old vizsla) will go about 150-250 yards handling on foot as the cover determines how far to range. Since wild bird season is over I was wondering the best way to keep increasing that range. What I did last weekend was plant some pigeons in launchers, one about a 1/4 mile away and the other 1/2 mile (1/4 mile from first one) away. He would run and run as fast as he can hitting the objectives on the way, then lock on point. If he moved, I would launch the pigeon. Then move onto the next objectives further out and do the same. I'd then let him run a couple more minutes after the 2nd launcher and then leash him up and bring him back in. I did this 3X, each time moving the launchers in relatively the same area, but different objectives.

So - should I continue this and should I be switching up the ground he trains on or keeping it consistent? My thoughts are if I keep the launchers and grounds in the same area it will build his confidence and continue to teach him to run out big. On the other hand - he is a smart guy and might ignore all objectives until he gets out far enough and then hunt. I am thinking I will continue to move the launchers further and further away on the same grounds and get in his mind that if he keeps running he will find a bird. Once he is ranging out as far as possible - do the same thing on different grounds then start mixing up where he trains, planting the launchers far away.

Any help/tips appreciated.

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Re: Tips To Increase Dog's Range

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Buy yourself a pointer!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm

I think you are doing it exactly right. Anytime you have more than one training field to use, it is a good thing.
A simple key to encouraging a big running dog is to say nothing. If we say too much the dog won't reach out as it thinks we might giving a new command soon. Sounds like you have a fine dog. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

I think the only right way to increase range is to pull the dog, what your doing. And switch training grounds. A pushed dog runs without much purpose. A pulled dog runs with purpose. If you are trying to pull a dog that won't pull, settle for what you have, it's doing it's natural thing. But still may get bigger with experience.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:22 pm

DonF wrote:I think the only right way to increase range is to pull the dog, what your doing. And switch training grounds. A pushed dog runs without much purpose. A pulled dog runs with purpose. If you are trying to pull a dog that won't pull, settle for what you have, it's doing it's natural thing. But still may get bigger with experience.
I get what you're saying. My boy is going as hard and fast as he can until he gets to the launcher. I am unsure if I am on the same grounds for the day if I should mix up the location of the birds or just keep them relatively in the same spot so he is confident where to run out to...?

I have to run to keep him in sight and even then it can be hard. Don't want him creeping in on the launchers without me being able to pop them asap.

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:58 pm

At this point if you dont trust him on his birds theres no point trying to get him to range. Once you have him broke on his points i would start running him with a big running dog and get him stretching out. If hes getting out there 250 i would bet he go out farther. If he was only ranging a 100 i would say your probaly gonna have to live with it.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm

I think you are doing fine, in fact I wish the vizsla bitch I'm training would run out even half as far as your dog normally does ! She seems to be a natural close range hunter.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm

There is in this country a pre-occupation with dog's running big, actually to big for hunting. My own dogs are like that. They were bred to be independent and big ranging. The vast majority of hunter's don't care for dog's like this. In my old age I'm wondering what I'm doing with them. Bodie and Squirt, especially Bodie, this weekend put down a bunch of cast's that had they found a bird I'd have needed a taxi to get to them and would have had to stop for lunch. But the boy's are honest. Twice I lost Bodie going over a hill and when I finally got there, he was standing. How long? who knows!

I think the Vizsla's best trait is that it doesn't run that big. I'd be perfectly satified if Squirt aand Bode had no more than 250-300 yd range. I think that trait about them is what made them more popular, hunter's didn't have to hunt for their dog's and the majority of them like that. Be intresting to see what kind of range the op"s dog ends up with.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Keep up the good work and eventually find you a big running dog to work with.

I did that with my pointer pup. She is now out running the 4 year old over time. If the pup runs now, it will only help with a bigger running dog. Definitely, make sure your pup is stiff on her birds.

Good Luck,

Joe

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:00 pm

DonF wrote:There is in this country a pre-occupation with dog's running big, actually to big for hunting. My own dogs are like that. They were bred to be independent and big ranging. The vast majority of hunter's don't care for dog's like this. In my old age I'm wondering what I'm doing with them. Bodie and Squirt, especially Bodie, this weekend put down a bunch of cast's that had they found a bird I'd have needed a taxi to get to them and would have had to stop for lunch. But the boy's are honest. Twice I lost Bodie going over a hill and when I finally got there, he was standing. How long? who knows!

I think the Vizsla's best trait is that it doesn't run that big. I'd be perfectly satified if Squirt aand Bode had no more than 250-300 yd range. I think that trait about them is what made them more popular, hunter's didn't have to hunt for their dog's and the majority of them like that. Be intresting to see what kind of range the op"s dog ends up with.
As I get older I will be wanting all the range I can get in my dogs. They can run and hunt, I will come along behind at my own pace and shoot. Right now the dogs I have are not ranging to my liking but I can still walk lots and so they get hunted - not sure I can put up with that as I get older.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm

When we are out on public CRP land he shortens up to like 30-50 yards because of how thick it is. I am talking field trial type grounds 200-300 yards.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 pm

New training grounds same field and birds planted in relatively the same spot will cause him to just go through the motions after a while and probably at half speed.