new dog

Waterdogs1

new dog

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:49 pm

I got the call from a young man that had my card. He wanted to send his dog to me for a month for boarding. The young man is getting a divorce and needs somewhere for his dog while he gets things in order. I told him I was not a poiner guy but he insisted I take his dog. So now I have a 16 month old GSP that is wild barks like no other acts like he has never been on a lead. I have had him for about a week and he is getting much better. What should I be doing with him. He has had hunting experience not sure if it has been good. He is bold and as I was driving out from training the other day their were some chukers on the road so I let him out and we took after them. He pointed three for about three seconds a piece. The dog has got alot better since I got him. I put him on the stakeout and he hangs out and watching me train the retrievers. He is not barking as much I think because he is getting exercise during the day and I get after him. I worked him on two pigeons tonight and he pointed them. He chase the one for a little way and didn't chase the other because he didn't see it fly. What can I do with him for the next few weeks that will help him?
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: new dog

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Put a bark collar on him.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 pm

That's good of you to help this dog out. Sounds like what you are doing is good. it's hard to jump in with training suggestions. These videos might be helpful - not saying they are without error .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBwcXnEVGPU
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 pm

You've only got him for a month, so just get him some exercise and maybe start working on retrieving with him. It won't hurt him to treat him like a retriever - it's what you know and he'll enjoy the exercise. Does he like to swim?

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:52 pm

If the dog is just in for boarding you just need to feed and water him and maybe let him out in an excercise pen for a little while.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:48 pm

His owner is pretty happy that I am working with him he had no obedience at all. Dog on a rope. I did do some marks with him and he did great. I have used the bark collar. He is silent now all night and on the stakeout. This dog would go nuts without good exercise every day. I just hope the guy starts doing something more with him. I hope he joins the local club. I may just put him on wild bird and continue to work on his obedience. He has to go with all the other dog and it doesn't take that much time to do something with him. He knows kennel now. He was like loading a cat in a water trough at first Ha! Ha! I get older dogs in where folks say well we didn't do anything with them because we didn't want to screw them up.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Sounds like you're doing fine. Running marks with him and making him understand he is in charge of getting corrected if he wants to run his mouth.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.