AKC JH test- When to arrive?

Vaoutdoors42

AKC JH test- When to arrive?

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:13 am

I am new to the hunt test arena as to dog training in general but thats another topic. I was wondering what thoughts are on when to arrive to a test? I am running in the 5th group and the JH test says will start at 8:30am. How long on average does it take for each group to run? I know they must hunt for 15 minutes but to also get dogs out of fields/back plant birds etc..?? I am just trying to get an idea...I would like to get there somewhat early to watch some of the senior/master tests, if possible but just didnt want my dog out there for hours waiting.... Or do you think its get to air him out, (if area to do this) and let him walk around the area. I was hoping to get him around a horse before my group runs as he hasnt had much exposure.

I am so new to this thing....do people brings chairs etc and make it a all day event?

Just to provide more info, this is the AKC event in Upper Marlboro, Maryland (hosted by the Southern Maryland English Setter Club).

I am running my 7 1/2 month old GSP and this will be my first experience with a hunt test every.

original mngsp

Re: AKC JH test- When to arrive?

Post by original mngsp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:54 am

Be there in time to run your dog at 8:30. You never know if people in braces before you scratch or dont show up and you could be running before you expect.

Being there and watching, meeting others, learning is always a good thing to do. You will usually see a fair amount of people there with chairs enjoying the day, especially if the weather is pleasant. Besides the dogs, meeting new people and shooting the "bleep" all day is usually a big part of any event.

Dont worry about your dog having to wait. Being patient in a crate, leash or a tie out stake is something all of our dogs must get used to in their lives. You can always leash him up and walk him around if needed.

Go with a good attitude, watch as much as you can, ask questions, offer to lend a hand if needed and you should have a great experience. Good luck and have fun.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 am

Get there around the eight thirty starting time. That will give you a chance to pull yourself together, let your dog relieve hinself, and maybe let him sniff a horse.
You don't want to cut your arrival time too close at these kind of events. You never know whether those running before you have scratched thus moving you up, and the club has no obligation to wait more than a few minutes for you. It can be a lot of hurry up and wait, but that's just how it is.
In my area, clubs usually have some kind of simple food available for purchase. That info is normally included on the flyer included with the premium. You can call the contact person to find out, otherwise it doesn't hurt to pack yourself a sandwich and a drink. Don't forget water and bowl for your dog.
Some folks show up, run their dog, and leave. Others stick around for the day. Take a chair or two. You might want to watch the other test levels. Socializing with the other folks can be very informative for you, not to mention the fun of it.

Good luck. Have fun. :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 am

I always believe you should be there at least 3 braces ahead. How ever I am always there first thing in the am. Dogs get pulled. People don't show up. People are late. Your dog gets used to the environment and excitement that is going on. You get to visit. Learn watch etc.

It always bothers me when someone shows up at the last minute and is running around getting there gear together then trying to find out where the break away is.

I always have me gear on, my dog ready, my water bottles on me etc.
Folks do make a day of it. Most do in my exerience. You will meet some good folks.

Have fun, enjoy the day and good luck.
Rick

P>S. a 15 min brace allow 30 min per brace. 30 min. brace 45 min.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:33 am

I'd probably get there by 8:30 or so. Better to be an hour early than 5 minutes late. Most clubs will proceed without you and then you'll be out your entry fee.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am

Vaoutdoors -

I would get there early.

There will probably be a bunch of folks there with kids and dogs and such. I am not familiar with the Roseryville grounds,but if they have a clubhouse, there will be lots of folks inside and aroun talking dogs and such. They may well have breakfast and luch available.

Check with the event secretary.

You have two very knowledgeable and experienced judges looking ant the Juniors on Saturday. I have run under them in the past and they know what they are looking at. I know one of the two Sunday Junior Test judges also and she is similarly knowledgeable.

I would walk your dog around to work out the kinks and get it comfortable with its surroundings. I also agree that having the youngster out on a stakeout for an hour or two might be a very good thing. Introduce yourself to some folks and ask questions. We have all been the new guy on the block at one time or another and had a pocketful of questions.. Most of us remember that. I encourage you to watch a coupe of senior and master runs, just to see what is expected of dogs at those levels. You might well see some very nice dogs.

Most of all...have fun...at the event and during the event. Cut the dog loose and let it do what it is going to do. Your dog is a puppy...it can do NO wrong. Repeat that mantra a couple times before you get to run and once more as you get ready to cut it loose.

Did I mention...Have fun?

By the way, if you see a distinguished looking older gent with Gordon setters and a big black horse...that might just be Mr. John Ward. If you get to meet up with him, please do give him my best.

Ray Gubernat

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

I am in the camp of being there from beginning to end, especially when you are new at it. The reasons have already been stated very well.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Most of all...have fun...at the event and during the event. Cut the dog loose and let it do what it is going to do. Your dog is a puppy...it can do NO wrong. Repeat that mantra a couple times before you get to run and once more as you get ready to cut it loose.
Amen Ray.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Remember if you are late they don't have to let you run and most clubs won't. So you lose your entry,time and other costs. It is a good learning experience for both you and the dog to hang out ,watch and learn

Vaoutdoors42

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks guys/gals. I will make sure to be there by 8:30am

The only thing which I think is worrying me now is having no exposure to quail/chukars before test....My pup has never smelled them before. He has only been on worked on pigeons in bird launchers. I have never just planted birds without being in a launcher either.

He has been worked on about 30-40 pigeons.

Any concerns? If there are its too late now...just gonna let my 7 1/2 pup be a pup and figure it out

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:57 am

Besides taking a chair to watch, you might want to take a pair of bionoculars as some clubs grounds allow you to see most of the junior braces from your chair at break away.
If you tell the judges this is your 1st time, alot of times they will try to walk you thru it as you go.
If your pup tries to play with its bracemate, try to seperate from the other handler.
See if you can find the bird planter and see if he'll let your pup smell and see the quail in the bird bag.
GOOD LUCK :D

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 pm

VAoutdoors -

Your youngster will undoubtedly come in contact with at least one weak flying or running quail. I would not worry about the dog not pointing the birds...it is a gamebird and the dog will probably recognize the smell just fine. Sniffing a birdbag couldn't hurt though.

I would be more concerned about your youngster catching a weak flying bird. Try to keep it form happening, but... Almost no matter what you do, it is probably going to happen, so don't get all worked up over it. Just calmly go get the dog and get it out of there. I believe that one caught bird is not a huge deal.

Go meet some nice folks and have fun with your dog.

RayG

Vaoutdoors42

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Just got back......Jackson passed his first of four legs of the AKC Junior Hunt test today. He received 9s for each of the categories! He may have had the best score out of all the dogs and was one of the youngest? He even had 2 retrieves to hand. I was very proud of him today and just wanted to share.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Vaoutdoors42 wrote:Just got back......Jackson passed his first of four legs of the AKC Junior Hunt test today. He received 9s for each of the categories! He may have had the best score out of all the dogs and was one of the youngest? He even had 2 retrieves to hand. I was very proud of him today and just wanted to share.
Congrats! It is just a small step but it sure makes you feel good. Stay with it and have fun

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:18 pm

now you are hooked .If they fail the first time may be you can walk away but when they pass you have to get that title on their name.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Lo That's true. It's great fun ; I'm glad you did well.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Congrats!!! Glad for the success and hopefully the entire experience was a good one.