how often to run 6 month old gsp on birds

birdhunter23

how often to run 6 month old gsp on birds

Post by birdhunter23 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I recentley received a gsp pup 2 weeks ago I introduce her to birds following the perfect start dvd .and she's already has been shot over not gun shy. I been running her on homers in 3 remote launcher two pigeon size and a pheasant size witch I put 2 pigeons in 3 times a week sometimes twice a day ..her hunting drive is outstanding things seem to be going great so far... what I want to know is it a Good idea to keep her on birds as much as possible or is there a chance I'm over doing it? I have not started with commands yet besides here I want her and I to bound for a few more weeks .... :lol:

Grousewing

Re: how often to run 6 month old gsp on birds

Post by Grousewing » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 am

Sounds like your pup is coming along nice. At this age you need to be careful not overdoing it with the birds. Everything can turn around in a hurry and put you a few steps back in one training session. At what age to you plan on heel and whoa breaking your dog?
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 am

From my experience, you will end up boring her to death is short order at that rate. I would pull her off birds, keep running her, letting her learn to range, be independent, be bold, explore. She will end up being a very short ranging dog if you're not careful as she will soon begin to relate you to birds TOO MUCH. If you have wild birds, then it's never too much. However, pen birds, quail, chukar, pigeons, tend to bore most dogs if done too often. End result of what we call boredom...lack of intensity on birds, standing birds, flagging, loss of desire, etc. We want to keep them bird psycho and not make it a job.

birdhunter23

Post by birdhunter23 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 am

i planed to heel her and whoa her sometime April or may i just wanted to build her drive on birds and try to bring out her natural retrieving but i only been able to put her on the launchers .. today i plan on buying some quail and start her retrieving training..right now her range is pretty good for a pup she goes out far not out of sight and checks back for me. but i don't want to over do it..