What is the best e collar to use?

Bberry20

What is the best e collar to use?

Post by Bberry20 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a e collar later this summer for my new GSP. I have been looking through a lot of different collars and price ranges, my question is which one would all of you prefer? With all the different choices, brands, and stiles i was wanting some feedback from people who have used them.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Brandon

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: What is the best e collar to use?

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 am

In the many previous topics on this very subject we have people on here that like every brand you have ever heard of so I don't think you will get a lot of help. I have used three different brands and they all were good. I think if you choose Tri-Tronics, DT, or Dogtra you will get a good one. Sport dog is cheaper and can't be repaired as well but some people have good luck with them also. The Collar Clinic told me they have less problems with the Dogtra but the quality of all three of those brands is very close anymore. They do have different controls and I think the answer to your question is just find the one that feels the most comfortable to you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the info, seems to be the theme when it does come to them. i just didnt know if the extra $100-$150 bucks for the Tri-Tonics and Dogtra was actually worth it over the sport dog brand. But i guess if they do last longer and work better, the extra money up front will be worth while for the added use.

Thanks
Brandon

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Bberry20 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a e collar later this summer for my new GSP. I have been looking through a lot of different collars and price ranges, my question is which one would all of you prefer? With all the different choices, brands, and stiles i was wanting some feedback from people who have used them.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Brandon

WEll said Ezzy.
Bberry: I had several collars as I am old , but what i have now is the best I've ever used - Dogtra 2500 B/T . Just Google it and there will be an explanation. Absolutely no complaints.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm

The d.t. 2400 series collars are unique if I am not mistaken. in that they have the ability to set the level on the stimulate button at the lowest level the dog may feel as a negative notifier, and then set a higher level on the jump button for correction. This is not the nick button which they have as well. This was developed for George Hickox's training plan. He likes to use a system of notification and correction as well as notification and reward. This keeps a sense of continuity in the training program that helps the dog understand the program better. The low level is a negative notifier that is implemented along with a "no" at the moment the dog exhibits the unwanted behavior, then the dog is corrected with higher level that the dog perceives as significant relative to the distraction. A clicker is used to mark wanted behaviors as the positive notifier, backed up by reward. Another thing to take into consideration is to have a collar with a controllable beeper that is integrated into one unit. The new D.T. collars can do this but are very expensive. They also have a two dog model.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:49 pm

4dabirds wrote:The d.t. 2400 series collars are unique if I am not mistaken. in that they have the ability to set the level on the stimulate button at the lowest level the dog may feel as a negative notifier, and then set a higher level on the jump button for correction. This is not the nick button which they have as well. This was developed for George Hickox's training plan. He likes to use a system of notification and correction as well as notification and reward. This keeps a sense of continuity in the training program that helps the dog understand the program better. The low level is a negative notifier that is implemented along with a "no" at the moment the dog exhibits the unwanted behavior, then the dog is corrected with higher level that the dog perceives as significant relative to the distraction. A clicker is used to mark wanted behaviors as the positive notifier, backed up by reward. Another thing to take into consideration is to have a collar with a controllable beeper that is integrated into one unit. The new D.T. collars can do this but are very expensive. They also have a two dog model.
If anyone wants to use that method you are right, the new DT has that. But other collars have other features that fit the type of training most people use very well. I just replaced my DT with a Dogtra after talking with the people who work on them but I like both even though I never found the need for a notifier since my voice filled that areA AND THE COLLAR WAS USED VERY SELDOM WHEN A CORRECTION WAS NEEDED.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Mollyontherun

See Link

Post by Mollyontherun » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:48 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-trainin ... guide.html

The above link is a great way to sift thru the various choices.

The collar you use will depend on the features you want, what you hunt, the type of terrain, type of cover, and the way you prefer to train with the collar, etc..

For example, When upland hunting my GSPs I have to have a locator beeper/training collar because we often hunt in heavy cover... but I like them to work close so I only need a 1/2 mile range. On the other hand, there are folks on this forum who range their GSPs considerable distances over open ground and they have to use some kind of Garmin... GPS device (way too expensive for me :oops: )

When duck hunting Molly... I use a DT one dog transmitter/collar with vibration. I use the vibration as a warning to stop Molly from whining in the blind- it works like a charm!. On the other hand... there are folks on this forum who would NEVER use the vibration function as a warning, and other folks would prefer a collar with a tone function.

The link above will help you sort though these kinds of questions.

Best regards.

Next time I have the cash... the DT H20 1850 will be my next beeper/trainer http://www.gundogsupply.com/h2o-1850.html
Last edited by Mollyontherun on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:16 pm

will i just ask this same? havn't bought yet but this is what i'm narrowed down to so far
TRI TRONICS
Upland special G3 exp $539 every thing i need plus a beeper
Pro 100 G3 exp $447 this one seems to be popular with some on this site
pro 200 G3 exp $447 close to the 100 pro just differnt stimulations

the dogtra 2500 t&b i like it because the beeper is built into the collar but that can be good or bad, from what i gather $379
i narrow my search down to 4 so far
may be someone will comment about what they think of these 4 collars

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:42 pm

I have a Dogtra 2502, a DT SPT 2432 and a TT Pro 100. While the jump and rise features are nice on the DT (especially when one of the dogs took after a bobcat), I find the buttons too small and have to look at the transmitter all the time. The Pro 100 is my favorite collar to train with, love it..but have never liked the beeper TT makes. Will have to try the new one, the old one was a pain. So my "go to " hunting collar is the the Dogtra 2502 (two dog system). Easy to operate, never had any problems. The only small issue is with the beeper pointed toward the ground it's not as easy to hear.. that may be due to my aging hearing. If you plan to use a beeper, my first choice would be the Dogtra. jmo. Hope it helps

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:55 pm

The Tritronics Pro 200 and the Tritronics Flyway are IDENTICAL except that the Pro 200 has a chrome buckle instead of a black buckle. The "Pro 200" lists for $30 more than the "Flyway".

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 am

ibbowhunting wrote:will i just ask this same? havn't bought yet but this is what i'm narrowed down to so far
TRI TRONICS
Upland special G3 exp $539 every thing i need plus a beeper
Pro 100 G3 exp $447 this one seems to be popular with some on this site
pro 200 G3 exp $447 close to the 100 pro just differnt stimulations

the dogtra 2500 t&b i like it because the beeper is built into the collar but that can be good or bad, from what i gather $379
i narrow my search down to 4 so far
may be someone will comment about what they think of these 4 collars
I have the G2 Upland & the G3 Pro 500. The Pro 500 was found in a Cabela's Bargain Cave at a discount or I would have the Pro 100. I have the new TT beeper for the G3, which I will control with the Pro 500. It's louder, has a better frequency tone for us older shooters who have developed some hearing loss due to shooting so much without protection at a young age. The hawk scream is a bit more realistic on the newer beeper & I like the shape and positioning better. I've owned three TT systems and they've been very reliable.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Bberry20

Re: See Link

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 am

Mollyontherun wrote:http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-trainin ... guide.html

The above link is a great way to sift thru the various choices.

The collar you use will depend on the features you want, what you hunt, the type of terrain, type of cover, and the way you prefer to train with the collar, etc..

For example, When upland hunting my GSPs I have to have a locator beeper/training collar because we often hunt in heavy cover... but I like them to work close so I only need a 1/2 mile range. On the other hand, there are folks on this forum who range their GSPs considerable distances over open ground and they have to use some kind of Garmin... GPS device (way too expensive for me :oops: )

When duck hunting Molly... I use a DT one dog transmitter/collar with vibration. I use the vibration as a warning to stop Molly from whining in the blind- it works like a charm!. On the other hand... there are folks on this forum who would NEVER use the vibration function as a warning, and other folks would prefer a collar with a tone function.

The link above will help you sort though these kinds of questions.

Best regards.

Next time I have the cash... the DT H20 1850 will be my next beeper/trainer http://www.lcsupply.com/DT-Systems-H2O- ... o/DT1850P/

I really like that DT H20 1850, thanks for the link. A little more than i want to spend but i think it will be worth it. Thank you all for the feedback.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 am

I think it comes down to what's most important, A) ease in increasing stim levels when correcting your pup, or, B) a superior beeper system. If A) you'll have to figure out how you're planning on using the stims. Are you going to be using continuous stim most the time or momentary? If B) you'll just go with the Dogtra.

Mollyontherun

Price

Post by Mollyontherun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 am

A little more than i want to spend but i think it will be worth it.
Yes... I feel your pain. The only cheaper options are the point mode beeper that is attached to the collar and beeps when on point. But that unit can not be used as a locator.

The other option is http://www.gundogsupply.com/intt100atrac.html I have this unit. It works... but I wish I would have spent only $131 more and bought the H20 1850- A Much superior collar that is rechargable.

Best regards,

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 am

Bberry,
Save your money and purchase and older 2000 Dogtra T&B or a new DT H20 T&B. You can usually pick up the older Dogra T&B thru
Collar Clinic for reasonable money. They are the most reliable collars made so far. We use them every day as we train and hunt.
A collar is no good if it needs repaired, when you want it on your dog.
RGD/Dave