Doves For Training???

shaneroyce

Doves For Training???

Post by shaneroyce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Anyone ever use doves for training instead of pigeons? A guy near me has as many doves as I want as often as I want for free, but I have no idea how they would do for the dog compared to the pigeons. Thoughts/Experiences?

sniperjon

Re: Doves For Training???

Post by sniperjon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm

I found the ones I tried did not fly well out of a launcher

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Just did a search...sounds like I better stick with pigeons. Thanks.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 pm

I've never used them but my dogs have pointed wild one's on the ground. If they don't get out of a launcher well, you could use foot traps. Then it would be like using pigeons but they might not home. Not sure why you'd want to use dove's rather than pigeon's. Pigeon's can also be free.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I can't find pigeons for free around here. I've got to pay $4 bucks a pop for ferals and $10 each for homers. I may have to start catching my own. I hear it's not to tough, but have never done it. A flashlight and a big net sound like the ticket!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am

I've used doves when I couldn't get pigeons. If planted by hand they work just fine. When put in the launcher they go straight up and straight down ( not good), but definately gets the dog's attention. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am

Sharon, how do you get a good scent cone? Do you let them sit a little longer to get a better scent cone, or do you plant multiple birds together? Also, do you dizzy and flush them, or what have you found to be the best to get them to flush when you want them to with no launcher. Also, do you card them to hinder their flight at all, or just let them flush free and either shoot or not based on the situation?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

shaneroyce wrote:Sharon, how do you get a good scent cone? Do you let them sit a little longer to get a better scent cone, or do you plant multiple birds together? Also, do you dizzy and flush them, or what have you found to be the best to get them to flush when you want them to with no launcher. Also, do you card them to hinder their flight at all, or just let them flush free and either shoot or not based on the situation?

My dogs don't need much of a scent cone. :lol: I plant them dizzied, singularly. As my dogs have a lot of experience, if the bird runs around some, it is a good refresher for them to stand still. If all else fails ( the bird will not fly), you can always pick it up an put it in your pocket or fire the starter pistol(if the dog has been gun conditioned), and put the bird in your pocket. The dog doesn't know you shouldn't shoot a bird on the ground. :wink: When you don't have wild birds you have to be creative. Needless to say , doves are not for pups or beginner dogs, as the birds are unpredictable. For inexperienced dogs you want the training time to be predictable as much as possible.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks Sharon.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Shaneroyce - That's a good looking pointer you got there! What's the breeding on it? Also sounds like the doves you mention are the invasive eurasion collared doves that are plaugeing our country.

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks gotpointers! He is an Elhew bred pup. You can see his breeding and parents at pinehillkennels.com...Stagecoach Jack X Pinehill Elhew Cover Girl. He was started on pigeons and launchers last summer. His previous owner did not hunt him much last fall. He turned 12 months a couple of days ago. I acquired him a few weeks ago. He's green, but a lot of fun! He is bumping and chasing everything he finds! He has tons of hunt and prey drive and ranges pretty big. It's time to do some pigeon/launcher work to steady him up to flush. We'll start a little more formal training and wait for the light to turn on in the field and see him make the connection. Working on basic obedience too. He is listening when he wants to (seems deaf sometimes in the field)! He's never had a e-collar on, but it's getting to be time to do that as well.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 pm

shaneroyce wrote:Thanks gotpointers! He is an Elhew bred pup. You can see his breeding and parents at pinehillkennels.com...Stagecoach Jack X Pinehill Elhew Cover Girl. He was started on pigeons and launchers last summer. His previous owner did not hunt him much last fall. He turned 12 months a couple of days ago. I acquired him a few weeks ago. He's green, but a lot of fun! He is bumping and chasing everything he finds! He has tons of hunt and prey drive and ranges pretty big. It's time to do some pigeon/launcher work to steady him up to flush. We'll start a little more formal training and wait for the light to turn on in the field and see him make the connection. Working on basic obedience too. He is listening when he wants to (seems deaf sometimes in the field)! He's never had a e-collar on, but it's getting to be time to do that as well.
Pinehill in my opinion would be the best place to buy.an Elhew line dog from. They have been at it for a very.long time. Don't rush your pup he is just getting started. Lots more good stuff to come. For a while longer use E-collar in an emergency situation only. Make sure he knows exactly what you mean before use. Congratulations i think you got a good one first time out