Pigeon Trap Newbie

trigger1989

Pigeon Trap Newbie

Post by trigger1989 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm

bought my first pigeon trap today and set her. now say i trap 4 birds and i only want to use 2 that day, is it smart to leave birds just hanging out in the trap or should i use all the birds i have that day and not keep any inside for stock?

AzDoggin

Re: Pigeon Trap Newbie

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am

Yep leave a couple in there, just make sure they have food and water.

Hey, let me know how you do...I'm in Gilbert, have a couple traps and will be doing the same thing one of these days. I've been scouting trap locations for awhile now...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

You guy's should do yourselves a favor and build some kind of coop for them. Once you have what you want, trap the kill birds.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am

DonF wrote:You guy's should do yourselves a favor and build some kind of coop for them. Once you have what you want, trap the kill birds.
Don - I probably will. Coops are banned in my neighborhood (HOA). However, I'm considering a suspended coop up in a group of trees - sort of a "stealth" coop. :lol: If I can't pull that off, I'll locate a coop in the yard at a rental house we have (no HOA).

I agree, you have to have the homers eventually. Heck I watched the Huntsmith Intermediate DVD last night. Ronnie Smith said that a dog had over 90 bird contacts by the time they were steadying him to flush...Only homers would work for a city dweller who needs that much bird work.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 am

AzDoggin wrote:
DonF wrote:You guy's should do yourselves a favor and build some kind of coop for them. Once you have what you want, trap the kill birds.
Don - I probably will. Coops are banned in my neighborhood (HOA). However, I'm considering a suspended coop up in a group of trees - sort of a "stealth" coop. :lol: If I can't pull that off, I'll locate a coop in the yard at a rental house we have (no HOA).

I agree, you have to have the homers eventually. Heck I watched the Huntsmith Intermediate DVD last night. Ronnie Smith said that a dog had over 90 bird contacts by the time they were steadying him to flush...Only homers would work for a city dweller who needs that much bird work.

LOL I've get a " stealth " coop in the garage. :)

OP : From all I've read on here, it is not a simple trick to attract birds to your trap. I read you have to have a bird in there to start it off. Maybe Ezzy will respond; he is the "pigeon expert".
Watch out for cats if you leave it outside. They can't reach the bird completely but enough to kill them.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 am

Ya I thought trapping pigeons was easy. It's been over a week and nothing... I set my trap on the floor next to a tree where there's 2 pigeon nests. I even put food all over the floor around it and in it. Maybe I'll buy a dang pigeon and stick in her.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 am

trigger1989 wrote:Ya I thought trapping pigeons was easy. It's been over a week and nothing... I set my trap on the floor next to a tree where there's 2 pigeon nests. I even put food all over the floor around it and in it. Maybe I'll buy a dang pigeon and stick in her.
Never heard of a pigeon nesting in a tree.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 am

Build a fake dormer on your roof and wala..... pigeon coop.............. LOL

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm

It's a huge palm tree they nest on the flakes on the trunk.

carlrh42

Post by carlrh42 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:27 pm

I have Doves in the palm trees. Pigeons in the eaves--none in trees!!!
CRH

mister2

Post by mister2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 am

I did not have any success with my pigeon trap. I resorted to catching them in barns. Not even sure how to begin catching them under bridges without attracting a lot of negative attention. When I used to live in California you would always see pigeons nesting in palm trees.