DT Systems H2O 1850

mydoghasfleas

DT Systems H2O 1850

Post by mydoghasfleas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

So I think I'm sold on the DT sys 1850. For a price point collar it looks to be best bang for buck. Anyone use this and can fill me in on the beeper option of the 1850 over the 1830???? I was looking on their website but not much info on the beeper specs for the included beeper in the H2O system... Thanks!

ibbowhunting

Re: DT Systems H2O 1850

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:44 pm

i'm looking at that same collar you can't beat the price for a trainer/beeper the only thing i see diffrent about the 1850 with beeper theres no tone mode i'm thinking it may confuse the dog if you have the beeper on and training with a tone. i hope someone will chime in that has this same collar and let us know if is a great collar or should we spend more money for a tri tronics

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:24 pm

What price are they at, around $230?

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm

MyDogHasFlees,

I am not sure of the new numbers but I recommend the DT H20 T&B highly, good product. I tested the collars for one of the big distributors and made recommendations for the DT company. My brother purchased the digital version of the collar, I have the non-Digtial version and both work very well. The Beeper portion of the DT T&B collars can be either master initiated, or place on beeper point mode. The only collar on the market better than the DT H20 T&B is the 2000 and older Dogtra T&B collars, which can be left on charge all the time without damaging the batteries, they are made with a discharge function so they can not be over charged, the DT is engineered with different type batteries that have no discharge capabilities. In reality the same engineers developed both these companies collars, they both work well.
RGD/Dave

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mydoghasfleas

Post by mydoghasfleas » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 pm

nikegundog wrote:What price are they at, around $230?
From Cabelas the 1850 which has the beeper upgrade is $320.... It also includes some features that other collars do not such as the jump and rise features which allow a pre set stim different from the continuous and nick (jump) and one which starts at 1 and progresses thru all stimulation levels in 6 seconds (rise). These are quite appealing along with the beeper and a lifetime warranty for 320 bucks.... Based on reviews its a decent set up, and based on what is offered for the price, including the 16 levels of stim, it seems to be the best bang for the buck..... I cannot see how I can afford a TT with the same features unless someone on here wants to help out a poor college kid... :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

mydoghasfleas wrote:
nikegundog wrote:What price are they at, around $230?
From Cabelas the 1850 which has the beeper upgrade is $320.... It also includes some features that other collars do not such as the jump and rise features which allow a pre set stim different from the continuous and nick (jump) and one which starts at 1 and progresses thru all stimulation levels in 6 seconds (rise). These are quite appealing along with the beeper and a lifetime warranty for 320 bucks.... Based on reviews its a decent set up, and based on what is offered for the price, including the 16 levels of stim, it seems to be the best bang for the buck..... I cannot see how I can afford a TT with the same features unless someone on here wants to help out a poor college kid... :lol:
Amazon $230. http://www.amazon.com/Systems-H2O1850-P ... =8-1-spell

Mollyontherun

Re: Things to consider

Post by Mollyontherun » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:17 pm

under $240 is a great deal!

I have an H20 1820 that I use for waterfowl. I like it!

However... the 1850 will not have either "tone" or "vibration" emitted from the receiver.

Also, the 1850 only closes to 14". Make sure this collar will not be TOO BIG for your dog. I'm not sure this collar will not fit my Emma (GSP) @ exactly 14" or Molly (GSP) @ 14.5"

So I would be very weary of the return policy of the Amazon Company.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:44 am

Mollyontherun wrote:under $240 is a great deal!

However... the 1850 will not have either "tone" or "vibration" emitted from the receiver.

Also, the 1850 only closes to 14". Make sure this collar will not be TOO BIG for your dog. I'm not sure this collar will not fit my Emma (GSP) @ exactly 14" or Molly (GSP) @ 14.5"

i cannot find that info on the collar only closing to 14" but could cause a problem because the antenna is build into the collar itself so just making a new hole may not be possible

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:13 am

one review of the 1850 had a britt owner return the collar because of sizeing

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 am

I was looking at the H20 1850 collar and Dogtra 2500 T & B collar at my local store. A few things i noticed:

The 1850 has the beeper on the back of the neck, not a problem except the wire running inside the collar to the beeper. Posibillity of breaking that wire and the beeper would not work.

The Dogtra 2500 has the beeper attached on the front. IMO, less chance of breaking It is more money, but the one i am going with.

Dogtra 2500 T&B Series The next generation Training & Beeper collar
A compact training and beeper unit designed for the discriminating upland hunter. Dogtra’s new 2500 T&B has the beeper horn built into the receiver, thus eliminating the bulky horn that sits on top of your dog’s head like other beeper units.

Beeper has a 400-yard range and a dual high and low three-level volume adjustment
Selector switch for run/point mode, point mode and locate only mode.
Fully waterproof with a one-mile range.
127 levels of nick and continuous stimulation.
Rheostat dial allows for gradual adjustment of stimulation.
Transmitter LCD window displays intensity level, three bar battery life indicator.
Includes two-hour quick charge Lithium-Polymer batteries, belt clip and lanyard.
Also available in a two-dog system: 2502 T&B.

30 day money back guarantee. 2 year manufacturers warranty.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 am

Bberry,
You are correct sir, that is why we recommend the 2000 and older Dogtra T&B collars to our clients, which can usually be purchased thru Collar Clinic. They have the original beeper design on back of the dogs neck, and the E-Unit under the neck, balancing the collar. The original Dogtra Collars with the external Antennas, if you can find one, are actually good for almost 2 miles and can be heard in the deep forest for a long distance. The 2000 Dogtra has a more convient transmitter with larger buttons however the antenna is imbeded in the collar limiting the actual range to less than a mile, which most times is more than adequate. We have several of both the Dual Dogtra older collars and DT H20 T&B collars also, they get used almost every day for training or hunting. They are not cheap however
for us they are the most reliable collars on the market today.
RGD/Dave

Daisy on Grouse point located with master initiated function on the 2000 Dogtra T&B collar, notice the antenna on this collar is imbeded in the collar itself.

Daisy with the original Dogtra T&B Collar, notice the external antenna

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 am

Mollyontherun wrote:under $240 is a great deal!

Have you ever had problems with Amazons return policy?

dougroch

Post by dougroch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:44 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:one review of the 1850 had a britt owner return the collar because of sizeing
Just purchased this collar for my britt pup and I don't see there being any sizing issues unless you have a very small britt. My pup is 16 wks old and weighed 21 lbs at 14 wk vet visit. Currently, I am just having him wear the collar (turned off and transmitter still in the box) for the first 15-20 minutes of our nightly outdoor play sessions to get him acclimated to wearing it. Not sure on his neck size but for the collar to fit properly we are on the third from smallest buckle hole on the collar.

Mollyontherun

Re: Amazon Return

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Have you ever had problems with Amazons return policy?
Here is what it says concerning returns
Please refer to the Amazon.com Product Return Policy. Please contact JacksCountryStore to request a refund or get information about any additional policies that may apply: Contact this seller Phone: 888-665-4989. For questions about a charge that has been made to your credit card, please contact Amazon. For questions about how to place an order, search Amazon Help.
IMO- If you want to buy from this company... I would measure your dog's neck with a tape. If any doubts contact DT and ask them directly if the collar will fit.

When I go to buy another T & B collar... I will probably follow Dave's ("RGD") and get a Dogtra.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 am

Molly,
Please do not get me wrong, DT is also a very good company with a great T&B product, after testing both the original Dogtra and the new DT both are very good collars, the original Dogtra Engineering is still the best however, if you have a big running gun dog here in the eastern part of the USA, where most times you will be hunting in a big forest situation. I also like the battery discharge engineering built into the older Dogtra Collars, I like being able to let the older Dogtra dual Collars plugged into the wall, when I am not using them. Without fear of damaging the unit. With the newer type DT & Dogtra collars you can over charge the batteries and damage the unit, just different engineering, other people like the quick recharge engineering of the new DT and Dogtra units. Give me the slower charging discharge battery collars, just my personal preference on this engineering. DT engineered their collars with the top side beeper unit that balances the e-unit, under the dogs neck, still the best engineering in my opinion, especially for hearing the beeper unit for along distance in the big Grouse woods where I did all the testing. Remember also if you purchase the DT collar with the digital transmitter, it uses energy faster than non digital transmitter, out in the Grouse woods at below zero my brothers transmitter ran out of energy one time, as he wore the transmitter outside his coat in the cold for 7 hrs, this was a problem for him that day Shawnie was actively working about 300 yards out, and we could not locate him in the thick forest. All this stuff matters greatly to a Grouse hunter, especially if you are hunting in Canada where there are a lot of wolves, or in Pa where we have a lot of Black Bear and coyotes.
When its real cold he now keeps the DT Digital Transmitter close to his warm body. I use the the non digital transmitter with the wheel
intensity adjuster and no digital screen, it never looses power on a Grouse hunt and it is hooked on my vest for easy command usage.
One last comment, one of the recommendations I made to DT was to engineer a big clip for the back of their transmitters, similar to what the Dogtra transmitter has, I actually engineered one for my DT transmitter by purchasing the clip from the Dogtra parts supply, and installed it myself. I do recommend DT products highly, a good quality product for the Grouse hunter and the gun dog trainer.
RGD/Dave
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mollyontherun

Re: RGD

Post by Mollyontherun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:22 am

RGD,

Bottom line is... I doubt that the DT T & B would fit my dogs. I really like my H20 1820 (it's the older unit with slow charging batteries)

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 pm

I have the 1850 and love it. Purchased four years ago after I lost my dog in some real thick cattails up in SD. I never use the run or point mode, I purchased it because I can hit the locate button and it gives a short beep and lets me relocate the dog. Even in grass up to my waist its tough to watch the dog and watch the horizon. In September my parents had the dog along with my kids because my wife and I were on a trip and so my 11 year old daughter was letting the dog run around my dads farm and she didn't get the collar on tight and sure enough he came back with no 1850. They searched and searched and figured the battery had run out and why the collar wasn't responding to the location button. They figured he lost it in the bean field and sure enough when the beans were picked in October there is lay. I picked it up turned it on and it worked after a month being outside....now I have a spare unit.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 pm

jkoehler wrote:I have the 1850 and love it. Purchased four years ago after I lost my dog in some real thick cattails up in SD. I never use the run or point mode, I purchased it because I can hit the locate button and it gives a short beep and lets me relocate the dog. Even in grass up to my waist its tough to watch the dog and watch the horizon. In September my parents had the dog along with my kids because my wife and I were on a trip and so my 11 year old daughter was letting the dog run around my dads farm and she didn't get the collar on tight and sure enough he came back with no 1850. They searched and searched and figured the battery had run out and why the collar wasn't responding to the location button. They figured he lost it in the bean field and sure enough when the beans were picked in October there is lay. I picked it up turned it on and it worked after a month being outside....now I have a spare unit.
did you very have a problem with the fit of the 1850 T+B it has been said it only goes down to 14" or does your dog have a neck that would be 14" or bigger?

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:10 am

Mollyontherun,
I have never had a problem with the size, my Ryman, Gordon and Munster dogs are old enough and big enough when I start using the training collar. If I had a small Brit or small Boykin I might be concerned, I never use a collar on a young pup however, no matter the breed. The older Dogtra will definitely fit, even the small dog breeds.
RGD/Dave

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 am

ibowhunting,
No didn't have a problem with it, in fact I think I have about 5-6 hole on the collar before it wouldn't fit and my dogs neck is small....

mrdbj84

Post by mrdbj84 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 am

DT in Dallas will resize the collar's beeper for free so you don't have to deal with amazon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am

I have a new Dogtra and have left the batteries on the charger without causing a problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.