Electronic hunting collars

jwnissen

Electronic hunting collars

Post by jwnissen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I own my first 7 month old GSP and I am looking to purchase a collar for upland hunting. Can anyone recommend and good collars? I have been doing some research and I really like the Tri-tronics sport upland hunter with the beeper. I think the beeper is an awsome Idea. Please let me know what you use, whether you like it or not or any recommendations you might have.

Thank you

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Electronic hunting collars

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I believe the TT collars are as good as any and better than most. I have also heard good things about the Dogtra collars. The ones I have experience with are DT, Sport Dog and TT. TT happens to be the only one I never had a problem with, so I am sold on them, but I am sure there are other good ones.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Adawg762

Post by Adawg762 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey Buddy well I can say that Tri Tronics is one of the best if not the best collar out there and I do currently own two different kinds, the one that I use on most of my dogs is the Sport basic, It's got a one and a half mile range on it and it's got a buzzer and two different shock modes with ten different intensities. It works wonders and since you have a GSP He shouldn't be roaming too far off. But the uplander is a great one as well in all honesty any Tri Tronics will suit you. The other model that I own is the Elite model it has a two mile range and up to six different dogs on one transmitter. Ohh and the Sport basic you can have up to three dogs on it. I would recomend and Tri Tronic but the sport basic in my opinion is the one for you and it is affordable if money may be an issue.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes, the Sport Basic is reasonably priced and a good unit but the range is 1/2 mile, not 1 1/2 mile [probably a typo]. Just remember you will never get the range they are rated for though, regardless of brand. The listed range is for a perfectly clear day with perfectly flat area and absolutely no obstructions.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:16 pm

jwnissen,
We highly recommend the Dogtra 2000 and older T&B collars to all our clients, we believe they are the best collars on the market, we have several dual collar sets, that we train and hunt with all the time. You can usually pick up a good set from Collar Clinic for reasonable money. We also use the new DT H20 T&B collars and have had no problems with them, we even tested them in the big Pa forest for one of the larger distributors. These are the only two collars we recommend to our clients. My only complaint about the DT collar is the lack of a discharging type battery, that makes leaving the collar on charge until you need it impossible, because doing so could damage the collar battery. The new 2500 Dogtra T&B collars now have these same type batteries, and a combination Beeper/stimulaion unit that is under mounted on the dogs neck, limiting
how far the collar can be heard in the forest, although good for a medium to short working dog, it did not get the job done on a big running dog, in the Pa thick forest.
RGD/Dave

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:19 pm

We highly recommend the Tri-Tronics systems to everyone who asks, we believe they are the best and most reliable collars on the market, we've had several sets from multiple generations of their products that we've trained & hunted with all the time. We've used the Upland collars & beepers without issue . We've even tested them in the big forests of northern Minnesota. These are the only collars we recommend having tried several others. I especially like the new beeper design and sound. They're flat out reliable & get the job done.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Get a good collar with a Garmin and don't worry about the beeper! I used to run a beeper but now it is so much nicer not having to listen for the dang beeping. Plus if the wind is blowing it is really tough to find em, especially if they are just over the other side of the ridge you can walk right past em. JMO. I use a TT pro 100

I use my Garmin in chukar country so I have no idea how well the work in thick forest.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 am

Elkhunter,
I do wish the Garmin worked here in the forest, I would own one right now. If I lived out where you do, I would definitely invest in one. Now that Garmain owns TT I am hoping they develop a track and Beep collar that will work in the forest. The early TT collars were junk, however they have come a long way with their new stuff, I especially like the multi dog units they developed, if they would work for 8 years without having to have maintance done on them, I would invest in TT also.
RGD/Dave

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Relatively speaking, all of the collars in the early years were junk compared with the collars of today. The only maintenance I ever encountered with TT units was the need to send them in for battery replacement in the early years, before the owner replaceable units. The owner replaceable, rechargable batteries are sure a nice feature on many of today's collars. Garmin Astro units are nice but then purchasing both e-collar & GPS systems gets to be a big investment for lots of folks. Also there are areas where the GPS system doesn't work as well.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Thank you all for your help, just like I was thinking, its the whole Ford, Dodge and Chevy thing except with dog collars. It looks like I still have a lot of research to do.

John