Ever hear of?

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Ever hear of?

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Anyone ever hear of or deal with Boberosa outside of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Thinking about using their services in the future.

JPTS

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Ever hear of?

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:52 pm

For what?

JoePaTurfShoes

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Gun Dog training....

http://www.boberosagundogs.com/

I am using Phil Hinchmen for my pup and six months of training before Inpick her up while I am outside of the country but thinking of doing more training with the pup about a year after my return. Just looking at different venues. I am sure I will just send her back down to Phil at Brandywine Creek Boykins but never hurts to look around.

JoePaTurfShoes

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am

I guess that is a no, no one has heard of them.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:14 am

Shane, he's an ESS trainer who used to post on this board about the time he got his first Boykin - seems to be unheard from since. Don't know if a Boykin blew his mind or what... :wink: If you're aiming for your Boykin to become a nonslip retriever - which is how most of us work them - the Hinchmans are are indeed your best bet for placing a dog with a pro for early training. That said, you can also discount about 90 percent of the advice you were given in the "What do I need" thread. Check cords and spaniels don't go together, for one thing - particularly not Boykins - and you want to instill sight over scent with early training on retrieves. Which means you can save the "hunting" with their nose for later, much later - after you teach the pup marking and have it build memory for multiple retrieves. The pup should see everything fall - in a flat mowed field - that it's sent for on a retrieve. Spend a little money, and time, perusing a book called "Retriever Puppy Training: The Right Start for Hunting," by Cherylon Loveland.

Congratulations on the new pup.

MG

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:26 am

My though is, if you are going to send him to a specific trainer for 6mos, unless you have issues with the trainer or his program, then why would you send your pup elsewhere for more work later?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

JoePaTurfShoes

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 am

I concur just asking around to gather opinions.

I am hoping Phil will have enough time to take her back for a few months late next Spring or early summer.

I really can't tell you how awesome it is to hear about the reputation of the guy I'm working with for the pup.

It was this board that led me to Brandywine Creek.

I really can't wait to get home. This place while not heck is not fun ha ha. I just want to see something green! :P