Hunt test

joachimt

Hunt test

Post by joachimt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 am

I just ran my dog this past weekend in a Junior Hunt test. she ran both days and did not pass. she is a 10 month old GSP. The one thing i worried about which is ranging out and hunting she was great at. However both days she did not find or point a bird. Needless to say iam very disappointed. I worked her every day the week before on birds and she had no problem finding and pointing birds. someone even told me she could pass the senior test because she is fairly steady and retrieving pretty good as well.

Bottom line not sure where to go from here. I lost alot of of confidence in her ability and mine. Not sure if iam up to testing her again and face the possiblity of not passing a third time. seemed like an easy test to pass. any thoughts on how to train for this if I attempt a third time? anyone else also face this issue? thanks

the_possum

Re: Hunt test

Post by the_possum » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:23 am

i don't have any advice but just out of curiosity, is your primary objective for the dog running hunt tests?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:30 am

So we assume you saw your scores and did poorly only in hunting and bird finding ability?

It's not uncommon for new handlers to not remember to help their dogs out in the birdfield. As you approach the area, be aware of wind direction and likely objective such as a windrow or clump of shrubby stuff. Head your dog there against the wind. That might mean you hustle to the opposite side of the birdfield to get her hunting into or crosswise the wind. As she hunts, keep moving so that the dog can use the objectives if any, and quarter the field. Don't just stand in one spot and let the dog go on its own. It won't cover the area nearly as well as it will with you moving,too. Think of it as making a grid over the area and covering all of it.

Stay away from the other handler, and keep your dog away from his/her dog. But don't let the other handler hog the field; keep moving and stay opposite or lateral as the wind allows.

Learn to be savvy about bird planters, too. Young guys on ATVs or horseback might drop birds farther out in the field. Chubby old bird planters on foot might stay closer to the gate. Watch braces prior to yours and notice where flushed birds land and hit those areas when it's your turn.

While you're in the birdfield, encourage your dog but don't constantly nag. It's distracting and they tend to either ignore their handlers or stay in too close and tight.

You know your pooch can do it. You had a bad weekend, take it as a learning experience, don't let it discourage you.

Have fun with it, and good luck :D

joachimt

Post by joachimt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am

I would like to run my dog in hunting tests. I figure it would give her extra training in the offseason and fun to do.

thanks for the advice. All very good. Now that i do remember, you are right about planting birds. There was a chubby guy who planted close to the parking lot and the other guy who was in better shape walked way out into the field to plant. I was too nervous to notice who did my planting. But you had some very good points.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Were you the only dog that didn't pass? Were conditions poor for bird finding? My newest MH failed at a test because he didn't find a bird. The other dog found his with only 30 seconds left in the brace. Sometimes the birds are just hard to find. JH braces are shorter, less time to find birds. I wouldn't be concerned about this if you were happy with the way your dog handled.... my nephew failed his pup's first two JH classes in KS last year - but then went on to pass two in a row. It happens! Plus, it's a lot of fun down the road - don't get discouraged, you'll get the hang of it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 pm

joachimt wrote:I just ran my dog this past weekend in a Junior Hunt test. she ran both days and did not pass. she is a 10 month old GSP. The one thing i worried about which is ranging out and hunting she was great at. However both days she did not find or point a bird. Needless to say iam very disappointed. I worked her every day the week before on birds and she had no problem finding and pointing birds. someone even told me she could pass the senior test because she is fairly steady and retrieving pretty good as well.

Bottom line not sure where to go from here. I lost alot of of confidence in her ability and mine. Not sure if iam up to testing her again and face the possiblity of not passing a third time. seemed like an easy test to pass. any thoughts on how to train for this if I attempt a third time? anyone else also face this issue? thanks

I know you are disappointed but that's the way it goes. Not finding a bird does happen. Hang in. Keep doing what you are doing. It would be hard on a man's ego to not pass a third time bit it's only a hunt test. I couldn't count on two hands the munber of Shooting Dog trials I enetered before i finally placed. That's how it goes.
People quit everyday because they can't accept not placing / not passing. Once I decided my goal was to have a good time and enjoy my dog's efforts, life improved. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:31 am

If you plan to continue you need to learn how to deal with not passing. It is a very easy to fail and the tests get tougher. Early tests have bad birds that don't move much after being planted and have very little scent. Running later usually equals more birds in the field, but worse scenting conditions. Hot, dry weather causes problems.
Don't be embarrassed or think you have a bad dog just because she gets DQ'd It happens to all of us.
One other thing it is better if you can stop her from chasing in junior tests. They figure out with people and horses and everything else going on they get to chase. Even though it is perfectly legal and won't lower your score, when you get in senior or master and the situation is the same it can be hard to stop. For this reason we have stopped doing junior. Junior does help the handler more than the dog. Learn to pace your self and let the dog do her thing.
Good Luck, don't let the Dqs get you down Q's will come.
CJ

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

Sharon wrote:People quit everyday because they can't accept not placing / not passing. Once I decided my goal was to have a good time and enjoy my dog's efforts, life improved. :)
Makes far too much sense to be a real solution. :wink: :lol: