Getting them to stay?

Texashuntingmagazine

Getting them to stay?

Post by Texashuntingmagazine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:22 pm

I have a 1 year old, and I have a hard time getting him to stay. Hes a lab ret. and loves to duck hunt, but it seems like I have to almost hold him down. Any tips?

llewellinsetter

Re: Getting them to stay?

Post by llewellinsetter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Tell us more does about the dog and his level of training, that will help all the super experienced people give you all the answers you need.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 pm

You don't teach stay in the duck blind. Too many distractions. Start with stay in the house a couple times a day , then the back yard , then a field then ................use a treat if you want.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Suggest you get a training program and start from the beginning.

Tom Dokken
Evan Graham

are two well-known retriever trainers.

As for teaching a command, you always have to account for the 3 D's: Duration, Distance, Distractions.

As Sharon said, behaviors are first taught in the most distraction free environment possible. As the dog is successful there, you advance - in distance, and distractions. If the dog is not performing, it's the trainer. Back to basics.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 pm

I have a friend whose dog bounces around in the blind. Rather than teach him what he needed to learn, he just stakes him in the blind and unhooks him to retrieve. Whatever works for you i guess. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Suggest you get a training program and start from the beginning.

Tom Dokken
Evan Graham
are two well-known retriever trainers.

As for teaching a command, you always have to account for the 3 D's: Duration, Distance, Distractions.

As Sharon said, behaviors are first taught in the most distraction free environment possible. As the dog is successful there, you advance - in distance, and distractions. If the dog is not performing, it's the trainer. Back to basics.
+1

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am

Simple obedience work. Dog doesn't belong in the blind untill it's 100% correct, out of the blind. Lot of repatition work. Something I notice with a lot of new people is they want to get their dog going so badly they skip parts mof the lessons and test the new ones they've learned, in the firld. Most new people do that, I did that! Your putting a lot on the dog when you do that, the dog is the one that get's the corrections or maybe it doesn't because the trainer thinks that there's a term called "good enough" but that term would be your down fall. Be consistent and do not move on till whatever the command is, is learned well.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 pm

DonF wrote:Some people... want to get their dog going so badly they skip parts of the lessons and test the new ones they've learned, in the field.
Don, stop peeking over my backyard fence or I'm calling the cops. :lol: :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm

DonF wrote:Simple obedience work. Dog doesn't belong in the blind untill it's 100% correct, out of the blind. Lot of repatition work. Something I notice with a lot of new people is they want to get their dog going so badly they skip parts mof the lessons and test the new ones they've learned, in the firld. Most new people do that, I did that! Your putting a lot on the dog when you do that, the dog is the one that get's the corrections or maybe it doesn't because the trainer thinks that there's a term called "good enough" but that term would be your down fall. Be consistent and do not move on till whatever the command is, is learned well.
+1. Good post!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:05 am

birddogger wrote:
DonF wrote:Simple obedience work. Dog doesn't belong in the blind untill it's 100% correct, out of the blind. Lot of repatition work. Something I notice with a lot of new people is they want to get their dog going so badly they skip parts mof the lessons and test the new ones they've learned, in the firld. Most new people do that, I did that! Your putting a lot on the dog when you do that, the dog is the one that get's the corrections or maybe it doesn't because the trainer thinks that there's a term called "good enough" but that term would be your down fall. Be consistent and do not move on till whatever the command is, is learned well.
+1. Good post!
+1 very good post !

Do training before the hunting otherwise the hunting becomes training, not nice to fight with your dog if the both of you is suppose to be having FUN !

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 am

Take Don's advise! I wish I had my old Lab back, cuz he turned out great inspite of all of my mistakes! :lol: It's ok for our expectations to be high, just take smaller steps as a trainer to get there. The advice you've recieved so far is what you need... Go to the back yard and get it right before you throw in all of the variables of a blind... Always end your training sessions on a good note, even if you have to go back to something simple... and praise the dog! All breeds have some desire to please, but Labs have an enormous amount of desire to please you! :) They are to a fault bidable... Use that and your dog will sit there for you while a chorus line of cats parade by!.. Good luck!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:14 am

SHORTFAT wrote: Use that and your dog will sit there for you while a chorus line of cats parade by!.. Good luck!
Yup. :D

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am

AzDoggin wrote:
SHORTFAT wrote: Use that and your dog will sit there for you while a chorus line of cats parade by!.. Good luck!
Yup. :D

I would like to see that "bleep" cat walk past my dogs like that ! Nice pic !