15 wk old training

Dieseldog8

15 wk old training

Post by Dieseldog8 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Ok guys so really enjoying my new pup he's a 15 week old gsp. I've really just been doing BO with him in the yard just heel doing some leash training and introducing him to birds maybe once a week but not getting close to them. Now I have a whoa table and from some people I've heard to start introducing it young I'm not full on whoa just maybe 5 mins a day putting him on the table and putting him in stance and saying whoa he might hold for 5 seconds but that's ok for me right now. But is that an ok thing to do? Also what about sit and stay now I have had some people say don't teach sit its just really how the heck do you teach stay with no sit haha it's tough. What is some advice on sit stay and BO with a gsp? Now he is crate trained he heels pretty good when he's not being ADD haha he here's or the come command. Now what is some other stuff he needs to work on for now until he's ready for serious training. Right now I'm just letting him be a puppy and growing close to me but just a few things he needs to do?

Pappy

Re: 15 wk old training

Post by Pappy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Seems like you are started on the right path. I also have a short hair. Just about doing the same training your are doing. I have trained 5 dogs and pretty much go by the gun dog book. I have used it on all my dogs and have good success. I do some things different like whoa. Being consistent every day and not over doing it. These dogs are very smart. I have my pup on birds almost every day now. He is a pointing fool. I have finally got an exceptional dog this time. Well keep on training, good luck.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Dieseldog8 wrote: BO with a gsp?
Here's what I'd suggest for BO:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

I'm sure your pup is doing fine.

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Haha love it I was actually typing that and was like wow BO sounds really stupid haha but went with it anyways.

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:45 am

Any training you do make sure its short and fun for the pup. He is only 15 weeks, I do not put any pressure on a GSP pup until at least 8 months old so be careful.
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:33 am

At 15 weeks, I am still trying to let the pup find out how much fun life is... I don't start any formal training - where I expect them to respond a certain way - until they are enthusiastically finding and pointing (at least flash pointing) birds on their own. Up to that point, I'm trying to expose a pup to everything I can think of which it is likely to encounter over its' lifetime.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:13 am

Kmack wrote:Up to that point, I'm trying to expose a pup to everything I can think of which it is likely to encounter over its' lifetime.

You bet. Expose and socialize. Now's the time...You don't HAVE to get this formal, but here's a checklist that will give you some ideas about all the things to expose your pup to http://info.drsophiayin.com/Default.asp ... onList.pdf

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 am

I would just let the pup be a pup, I usually dont do much with them till after their first wild bird season.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:53 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
Kmack wrote:Up to that point, I'm trying to expose a pup to everything I can think of which it is likely to encounter over its' lifetime.

You bet. Expose and socialize. Now's the time...You don't HAVE to get this formal, but here's a checklist that will give you some ideas about all the things to expose your pup to http://info.drsophiayin.com/Default.asp ... onList.pdf

That is an excellent link. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Yea that is an excellent link I've actually added a few of those to my daily routine and it is working thanks!