Lab training help needed

Aj_horton

Lab training help needed

Post by Aj_horton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 pm

I have a 13 month old male black lab named Gunner. I got him when he was 5 months old and at that time he had only little or no yard training. He comes from good hunting stock but his previous owners did not have the time to train a full liter of pups they were trying to get rid of. Since I got this dog i have done some basic training like "sit" "stay" "come" "heel". we have also started working on retrieving with a dummy using artificial pheasant scent. I have taken my dog out in the field hunting in several different situations. He has been alone with me, he has been with other people and dogs, and he has been around gun shots. This dog is a good dog but i worry about how training is going. He is the calmest and most laid back lab I have ever seen. he has energy but not nearly as much as other labs i have worked with his age. This lack of energy worries me that my dog will not hunt or retrieve as enthusiastically as I hope. does this mean he wont hunt or retrieve? He stays very close to me and is having a very hard time moving out in the field and being independent. What should I do to help this dog along? What can I do to make him more independent? And should I be furthur along in my training for a dog this age? Where should I go from here?

crackerd

Re: Lab training help needed

Post by crackerd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:30 am

All good questions, AJ - unfortunately, answerable only as each applies to the individual dog.

Question - and a statement - for you, though: Where have the 8 months gone since you got the pup insofar as training? - that's a long time to spend on sit, here and heel.

Scented dummies are a waste of time and money - for any gundog, but especially for a retriever. The dog needs birds and plenty of exposure to them, whether you're training retrieving or upland, if you've got any hope of helping it overcome its "laid-back" temperament and turning on the excitement that's abundant in performance retrievers' DNA.

MG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:56 pm

You need a plan.

http://www.totalretriever.com/

You could also PM Evan Graham about his programme. He is a member here.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Aj_horton

Post by Aj_horton » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Yes I reaally should be furthur along in training for a dog this age. I should have gone much furthur in 8 months then I have gotten which is why I am trying to get training back on the right track. I have worked my dog with dead pheasants and quail and he retrieves them alright. He has flushed a few live birds while hunting but he hasnt had the exposure to live birds that I would like him to have. Have I ruined a potentially great hunting dog by my shortcomings as a owner/trainer?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:32 am

crackerd wrote:
Scented dummies are a waste of time and money - for any gundog, but especially for a retriever. The dog needs birds and plenty of exposure to them, whether you're training retrieving or upland, if you've got any hope of helping it overcome its "laid-back" temperament and turning on the excitement that's abundant in performance retrievers' DNA.

MG
I agree, I'd give the dog game finds followed by more game finds ...... and I'd probably do a Nelson (turn a blind eye) to the first several game chases too.
The chasing can be sorted out later .... enthusiasm comes before perfection.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Sharon wrote:You need a plan.

http://www.totalretriever.com/

You could also PM Evan Graham about his programme. He is a member here.
That's it in a nutshell. A lab is trained in a very precise sequence in a proven program. Two of the best for a hunting dog are Smart Fetch and the Fowl Dawg series (you probably only need two of the three dvd's.).
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

No, you haven't ruined him at all, by any means....However, get with a proven program. Your dog is at the age where the light is about to come on. For now continue to work on obedience (sit, come, heel) use a check cord to enforce light corrections....chain in the whistle commands...it is all a very logical step by step process, buy you need to follow a program.