AKC retriever hunt tests.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

AKC retriever hunt tests.

Post by ultracarry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:41 am

So this question is asked a lot for pointing breeds and the test for pointing breeds seems to be more straight forward...

There seems to be more options for the judges/committee to choose from when conducting the test.

Example in JH (retriever) there is two land retrieves, two water, can throw both birds on land, send dog to make two retrieves, then the same for the water.... Is this correct or do they throw one at a time? Can someone walk me through on this. I'll be getting board this summer and there are a few hunt tests close to home.

Susie

Re: AKC retriever hunt tests.

Post by Susie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:21 pm

ultracarry wrote:Example in JH (retriever) there is two land retrieves, two water, can throw both birds on land, send dog to make two retrieves, then the same for the water.... Is this correct or do they throw one at a time? Can someone walk me through on this. I'll be getting board this summer and there are a few hunt tests close to home.
In Juniors they only throw singles...one bird at a time.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 am

ultracarry wrote:So this question is asked a lot for pointing breeds and the test for pointing breeds seems to be more straight forward...

There seems to be more options for the judges/committee to choose from when conducting the test.

Example in JH (retriever) there is two land retrieves, two water, can throw both birds on land, send dog to make two retrieves, then the same for the water.... Is this correct or do they throw one at a time? Can someone walk me through on this. I'll be getting board this summer and there are a few hunt tests close to home.
Are you wanting to know the logistics behind organizing the retriever tests, as in what birds, judges, equipment, etc. is needed, or are you asking how the judges set up the retrieves for the hunt tests?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am

If you could walk me through a brace it would be appreciated. Blank? How close to the water to stand? Please don't make me look like a bigger idiot than I already am. I do that fine by myself lol.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

ultracarry wrote:If you could walk me through a brace it would be appreciated. Blank? How close to the water to stand? Please don't make me look like a bigger idiot than I already am. I do that fine by myself lol.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 am

Here's a couple videos of JH to generally get the idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNf5pm3rK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDHReaVmpAw

First video the dog is not being restrained at the line, however it is permissable to walk up to the station with a lead and hold the dogs collar at the line until released in JH. The blanks are coming from the field, in JH no gun at the line, in SH, MH the handler will be holding a gun at the line and pointing it at the birds that are falling. The judge will decide the distance from the water basiced on what they have to work with. SH and MH involve multiple birds and no leads.