Teaching to retrieve

trasmuson3

Teaching to retrieve

Post by trasmuson3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:46 am

So I was wondering how everyone implements playing “fetch?” My dog right now is a little over a year and a half and has no desire to play fetch.  No interest what so ever in retrieving and bringing the ball back to me.  The reason why I ask is because growing up, my dads dogs always had a huge desire to retrieve and “bring back” so the older dog always kind of just taught the younger dog that that’s what you do.  I am getting my new puppy in June (they were just born last night), and I am afraid that I will have a hard time teaching the new dog to retrieve since the older one doesn’t do it at all.  What are some ways to maybe get my older dog to do so? He will on occasion, but only small retrieves. If I throw a ball out there a long ways he won’t go get it. I don’t use him as a hunting dog at all, but the new pup will be taught to hunt and retrieve so this is very important to me. Is there anything I can do to spark that desire in my older dog and what do I need to do with the puppy when I get her?

I hope this all makes sense… Thank you for your thoughts!

Susie

Re: Teaching to retrieve

Post by Susie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 am

What breed?

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:12 am

I use the paint roller. I have a 13 week old EP and I take a glove and put down the center for weight. I take feathers and wrap the outside of it and use plastic ties to hold them on. Feathers in mouth now=bird in mouth later. I use scent on the glove. I started 10 yards in flat ground short grass so she can see where it lands. 4 or 5 times with lots of praise. I now throw it 20 yards in deep grass now she is using her nose. Every time I throw it I say dead bird. All fun and short.I here that EP only point. Mine is doing just fine with the system I have been using. Always keep it short and fun . Now when she see the roller she goes nuts. I also keep her on check cord.Good luck http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w413/DozerXLT/
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:48 am

The dog I have now is just a mutt that we got from the shelter, some kind of pointer border collie mix. The puppy that we are getting is a GSP.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:59 pm

I here that EP only point
That is a myth! :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Put him on a checkcord or lead in your hallway and toss a pheasant wing or bumper or anything that they are interested in. Once it is in their mouth call 'here' or 'come' and a tug on the lead. Do this for 1 day to 1 month however long it takes to bring it to you once it is in their maw. Once that is achieved in the hallway graduate to the yard for a while, then to the field. Then proof them in the woods, other fields. and the like.