How old is too old?

SuperCracker

How old is too old?

Post by SuperCracker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm in the process of selecting a new pup for a second gun dog. had originally planned on getting a dog later on in the year so I wasn't really looking for breeders with pups. Well, my situation has changed a bit and I will be able to do it a bit sooner.

My GSP I have now I took home at about 7 weeks and I've always heard (about pets anyway) that 8 weeks is the magic number. But, for a hunting dog, how old is too old? If I had the chance to get a 12 or so week old pup (from good stock naturally) would I have missed too much of the imprinting and early training boat already?

I've had a lot of dogs but this will only be my second dog that actually has a job.

Brittguy

Re: How old is too old?

Post by Brittguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:08 pm

You should have no problem as long as he has been properly socialized. When you seen him, watch how he comes out of his kennel and how he acts away from his regular area.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 pm

No reason an older pup can't be trained to be a good bird dog BUT I would not buy an older pup IF it had spent its' life in a small space or if it had not been taken out regularly for socialization. Not always able to make that up later. jmo

http://info.drsophiayin.com/Portals/137 ... onList.pdf
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:02 pm

I hear all the scemes on picking the right day to take home a pup, hogwash. As long as the pup is up to date on shots and not dead, go for it! Absolutely amazes me the process some people go thru to get a pup! I was looking at a kennel in Kentucky I think and if you bought a pup from them it had to be picked up or shipped on the 49th day. I wonder if it's 49 days and 2 hrs 47 sec. will that make the pup a cull?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:20 am

I would say three or four years might be getting too old.

Seriously, if the pup has been properly socialized by SOMEBODY, it will have the desire to attach itself to whomever fills its food bowl and messes with it.

I have taken home dogs as young as six weeks old and as old as one year and have had ZERO problems with them adapting to their new life.

If you spend the time and effort with the youngster when you get it home...it will bond with you. If you take it home and stick it in a kennel for six months, maybe not.

RayG

SuperCracker

Post by SuperCracker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks guys. Me and my Girlfriend spent the whole weekend, plus friday, driving to various breeders and meeting dogs and talking pups (Drahthaars for me, German Shepherds for her). I thought a couple of them had pups on the ground that were 10 - 12 weeks old and I was considering getting one. Turned out to be a non issue. I put a deposit on a Drahthaar pup from a breeding that will be happening any minute now. Every gun dog breeder we met had good looking dogs with great drive, good energy and was great to talk to. In the end I just liked the build of one guys dogs in particular.

Did have a bad experience with one of the Shepherd breeders. Went to meet with what was, by all indications, a good breeder that turned out to be a puppy mill. After we met with her for a bit and left we had no signal for the GPS, got turned around leaving her place and ended up driving past the opposite end of her property. Heard some dogs barking and stopped to look. There were open, uncovered hog wire pens of dogs as far as I could see into the trees. I stopped being able to count at 35 Shepherds in 8' pens (she advertises that all her dogs come from 6 dogs total). There were pens of puppies of all ages and a girl hosing them down while they cowered and cried in the corner. There's no way that these pups will not have big time socialization issues. There were also 2 completely emaciated horses in a pen next to them.

It was the saddest thing I've ever seen. And I've seen some very sad things. :cry:

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 am

8 weeks is the absolute minimum age to take away from the littermates - many experienced breeders are going to 10 weeks now. I get foster dogs all the time that are older (one year plus). The best one we've ever had we got at a year old and he ended up going to live with some friends who used him as a guide dog on a hunt farm (and also their personal gun dog). We've got an EP that is coming along GREAT that we got from the shelter at 1.5 years old. She's going to be heck on wheels this coming season (and she didn't do bad last year either).

I sure hope you called animal control or whoever the regulatory agency is about the horses/dogs this weekend - does little good to feel bad about the situation and not make an attempt to improve the situation. Even if they don't do anything, you can at least report the situation so if they get multiple complaints, they can act.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am

I currently have two that were got later. One at 13 weeks and one at 10 weeks. I have had no problems at all. In fact I think them spending more time with the parents and with the other litter mates helps with their dog socialization/communication.

I have had the last pick of the litter every time and every time, had a great dog. I am not sure of Ruby's age when I got her but she also was the last one and she is a great little dog. Hope to prove it soon.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:51 pm

I have picked up pups from 6wks. to 9mos. old. My last two were 8wks. I can honestly say that I have never seen a difference. Just my experience.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 pm

That birddog has got in it what it takes to hunt birds, no matter if you get him at 8 weeks or later. My new pup is 14 months and has not ran a lot in his first 14 months, he is turning out to be great. The dog will be what you let him/her be. Adopting a birddog is a great option for those of us who are bird hunters (not trialing/showing). No need for papers, just true grit.