Training with birds

Pappy

Training with birds

Post by Pappy » Sat May 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I have a young German Short hair pointer. After training I reward him on some site pointing in the pigeon coop. He is very steady and usually does not break his point to chase. I usually do this every couple of days after training. I just don't want to over due it when I am able to take him into the field on scenting birds to point. My concern here is that I hope I am not reinforcing site pointing so he will just point on site. How would you approach this and what have you done in the past to train you dog on live birds.

JIM K

Re: Training with birds

Post by JIM K » Sat May 05, 2012 2:59 pm

no expert on advice and have trained lab to STAND .that is something as they are flushers.if dog cannot catch a wild bird and has natural pointing in them, after awhile they will point and hold it.
but it takes lots of birds.
i used a 50 ft rope on toby and would let him get close to woodcock.i would say,WHOA.TIE HIS ROPE ON BUSH. THEN I WALKED IN AND FLUSHED THE WOODCOCK AND SHOT OVER BIRDS HEAD.

way i found birds wild was ROAD HUNTING.not illegal shooting of bird, just TRAINING.
some days i would find 4 grouse this way in different locations.
i have the only lab that hunts grouse and STANDS.notice i said that word as most say toby is not pointing.

take care

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Training with birds

Post by DonF » Sat May 05, 2012 3:36 pm

You go out and train and then go to the pegion pen to give him a reward? Rather than taking him there, go plant them and let him find them. Then they can go to the pigeon and you can take him in the house to lounge on the sofa as a reward!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!