Gun Shy Conditioning CD's

crappieguy

Gun Shy Conditioning CD's

Post by crappieguy » Sun May 06, 2012 10:39 am

Has anyone an opinion or experience with these CD's from Gun Dog Supply?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

Christopher

Re: Gun Shy Conditioning CD's

Post by Christopher » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm not sure what GunDogSupply carries but I've used the Master's Voice cds on my pup for only conditioning and they seem to work pretty well. That is, I've never had a problem with gunshyness in my pup.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 am

I was using the Masters voice CD's for a young setter that I had. They seemed to be helping but I am not sure if they would be a cure. Using on a young dog to condition I think it wouldn't be a bad thing. I would just ensure that the gun introduction is done slow and deliberate. It is better to go slow and do it right than have to try and correct it.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am

Master's Voice has two systems. One is for conditioning only, for new and young pups that are not introduced to gun fire. The other is much more elaborate and is for curing gunshyness. I've never used the cure cds.

But I'm real careful to introduce gun fire slowly, softly and deliberately. That is, I make noise around the pups, whatever, slapping 2x4s together when I feed for a bit or letting the lid on the trash can slam a bit, not so much to spook them but slowly getting them used to noise. And then when I introduce gunfire I always want them to be on birds. You can use a blank gun or a shotgun held by a partner at a far off distance. And then slowly ease them into it. People create gunshy dogs, dogs are not born gunshy. I've seen it happen, rapid fire an autoloader in the field near a new young dog and you're just asking for gunshy trouble.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 am

I have only used the cure cd once for a Wirehaire that the owners brother's way of introducing loud noises was with firecrackers. Needless to say he was gunshy. The dog was almost 2 at the time. I took him and reintroduced him to birds and let him chase, which he was not wanting to do at first. He was almost blinking birds. Let him be a puppy again for several weeks. Then started the cd training at home while eating. This is the only time I have ever done any noise training while eating. But to fix someones else's mistake, I guess you haft to try anything. Went through the whole cd at the pace it prescribes, and at the same time kept the birds a flying and getting him built up on bird desire. At the end of cd training, I got 22 crimp pistol and waited for him to be in full chase then shot once when he was 30+ yds. Slowed and looked around, but I did nothing. Put another bird in flight by him and he took off after it. No shot. Next day we put several birds up and again shot and this time no response. Each day we continued, to where I could fire each time a bird was flying. Then gradually moved up to louder shells, then to 410, then 20 gauge. In the end I could fire and shoot a bird for the dog. He's not going to make a dove hunting dog, but he should do well for the kid and bird hunting.

For the one time I used the cd, it worked.

Don't know if it was the cd or the re introduction to birds and the proper way of introducing gun fire with birds. There are a few trainers that specialize in gun shyness. Don't know how they go about it. Whether it is the noise training or reintroducing gun fire with birds.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 am

hi-tailyn wrote:I have only used the cure cd once for a Wirehaire that the owners brother's way of introducing loud noises was with firecrackers. Needless to say he was gunshy. The dog was almost 2 at the time. I took him and reintroduced him to birds and let him chase, which he was not wanting to do at first. He was almost blinking birds. Let him be a puppy again for several weeks. Then started the cd training at home while eating. This is the only time I have ever done any noise training while eating. But to fix someones else's mistake, I guess you haft to try anything. Went through the whole cd at the pace it prescribes, and at the same time kept the birds a flying and getting him built up on bird desire. At the end of cd training, I got 22 crimp pistol and waited for him to be in full chase then shot once when he was 30+ yds. Slowed and looked around, but I did nothing. Put another bird in flight by him and he took off after it. No shot. Next day we put several birds up and again shot and this time no response. Each day we continued, to where I could fire each time a bird was flying. Then gradually moved up to louder shells, then to 410, then 20 gauge. In the end I could fire and shoot a bird for the dog. He's not going to make a dove hunting dog, but he should do well for the kid and bird hunting.

For the one time I used the cd, it worked.

Don't know if it was the cd or the re introduction to birds and the proper way of introducing gun fire with birds. There are a few trainers that specialize in gun shyness. Don't know how they go about it. Whether it is the noise training or reintroducing gun fire with birds.
Nicely done, hi-tailyn! Sounds to me like you solved the problem. Without getting that prey drive increased like you did, I'd be really surprised if you could have made as much progress in that dog. Dog's with "fireworks fears" can be difficult ones to train in my experience.

Around here, the only reason you need a dog for dove hunting is that without one you have to put down your drink and get out of the lawn chair to retrieve a dead bird. :roll: :)