Bird scent/training

Pappy

Bird scent/training

Post by Pappy » Sun May 13, 2012 7:10 am

I have a new pup and I have just introduced him to the field. During the second outing to the field I planted a pigeon. I went down wind and tried to place him in the scent cone. He was a little clue less. I had him on a check cord and once he saw the bird he jumped at it. I am using pigeons and just wondering if they put out enough of scent like quail. I know the dog is young and that I need to be patient with him. Also any suggestion on training using the bird launcher with a young dog. My Sort hair is 14 weeks old.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Bird scent/training

Post by DonF » Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 am

You said a "new pup", how old? Sounds like it just hasn't started using it's nose yet. If it wanted the bird when it saw it, I wouldn't worry one bit about it. Let it grow up. Pigeons put off plenty of scent I think. Not anyway I know of to measure how much scent any bird put's off.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun May 13, 2012 1:43 pm

At 14 weeks its all about exposure to new things, keep exposing him to birds and let it be fun.
Steve

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun May 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Pups learn by experience . I'd let the pup have a lot more experience of birds in front of it before I really expected it to show a lot of interest.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue May 15, 2012 2:12 pm

You were not real clear when you said you came from downwind. The pup should come across the scent. Dont bring the pup into the scent from downwind.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu May 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Have you thrown birds or introduced birds in the yard. The pup might not know what the scent of a bird is. @ 14
Weeks be carefull not to scare the dog with a big pigeon taking flight.
We introduced the birds by fresh killing a pigeon and tossing it out to the end of the cord. When he was chomping at the bit
For that we moved to live wing clips.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:09 am

pinebrookkennel wrote:Have you thrown birds or introduced birds in the yard. The pup might not know what the scent of a bird is. @ 14
We introduced the birds by fresh killing a pigeon and tossing it out to the end of the cord. When he was chomping at the bit
Is there a way for the pups to eventually get on the birds without having to run through the pigeon training? I have no room for that kind of training in my current residence. I have a nice large field to take my pup in (when I am able to pick him up that is) that has tons of room to throw scent bumpers and balls ect. I just didnt know if they could naturally pick it up by being exposed to random city birds I guess is my question.

Corry

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 am

First, yes they can pick it up by getting into wild bird. will it take longer, yes. City birds ? What is a random city bird
Second, take the birds to the training field with you. Put your birds in a box or bag take them on a walk with you
Make a fun game out of it.
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 am

We have random smaller birds like barn swallows, woodpeckers, some random doves, crows, robins, and some others that I dont recognize. I didnt think of bringing a few dead ones with me and tossing them around in the field.

Thanks,
Corry

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri May 18, 2012 9:32 am

I would not do launcher work yet. That is for later. The launcher could scare the dog before it really knows what birds are and that is all he cares about. After that and when working to lengthen points or to do other drills like stop to flush, steadiness, etc. then you will introduce the launcher.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe » Fri May 18, 2012 10:29 am

Most pups that young don't yet associate the scent with the bird -- both experiences are too new, and the pup's brain development is just getting going.
At only 14 weeks I wouldn't be doing anything but some yard training and letting the puppy explore and have fun being with me in the field. It will chase field larks and point butterflies and get "field smart" over the next few months using its own experiences. The puppy will also need to learn that being with you is the source of FUN and safety and wonderful adventures. The pup will learn that the field means lots of interesting smells and critters. After a period of "puppy time" the instincts will kick in, and then the scent will start to mean "birds" to the pup.
Make sure that bird scent, being with you, and being in the field all mean something fun to the pup by letting pup discover, be a puppy, and put things together gradually. You don't want the bird scent to mean "pressure" to a young puppy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 am

Ghosted3 wrote:
pinebrookkennel wrote:Have you thrown birds or introduced birds in the yard. The pup might not know what the scent of a bird is. @ 14
Is there a way for the pups to eventually get on the birds without having to run through the pigeon training? I have no room for that kind of training in my current residence. I have a nice large field to take my pup in (when I am able to pick him up that is) that has tons of room to throw scent bumpers and balls ect. I just didnt know if they could naturally pick it up by being exposed to random city birds I guess is my question.

Corry

I kept my birds in a cage on the apt. balcony. Every once in a while a quail would escape and, my neighbors would think they had seen a "rare" bird in the parking lot. :)

You can bypass pigeons if you have another bird that will flush in a hurry and not be able to be caught by your dog.
Last edited by Sharon on Sat May 26, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri May 18, 2012 11:06 am

14 weeks is really early. I would contact the breeder and ask him those questions, he should know better than anyone else. You’ll have some lines that are softer and it takes longer to mature than others. For my 16 week old pointer, all I have been doing is working on retrieving with a frozen quail, here and walks in wild quail areas letting her just have fun. I’ll start working the launchers around August if I feel she's ready. I have the Perfect Starter and Perfect Finnish DVD’s if you want to borrow them for a week or two. Good luck
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Sat May 19, 2012 6:00 am

Corry
Sorry about that I wasn't on the same page as your thinking. Will random song bird, crows, barn swallows work. My
Guess is ,no. They will not leave the scent needed, and the will teach you pup to sight piont. @ 14 weeks don't even
Worry about finding birds, builds the dogs confidence in running out in front. Play fetch with a tennis ball. Teach the
Basic commands you will need in 6 or 7 months, come, heal, stay, you have a lot of time.
start trying to find a club or trainer with birds so in 6 months you are ready. Have fun with your pup, and good luck
One more thing, if you post your locaton and ask you will find some help with birds or a club. The fourm and its members
Is a great resorce
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:36 pm

pinebrookkennel wrote:Corry
Sorry about that I wasn't on the same page as your thinking. Will random song bird, crows, barn swallows work. My
Guess is ,no. They will not leave the scent needed, and the will teach you pup to sight piont. @ 14 weeks don't even
Worry about finding birds, builds the dogs confidence in running out in front. Play fetch with a tennis ball. Teach the
Basic commands you will need in 6 or 7 months, come, heal, stay, you have a lot of time.
start trying to find a club or trainer with birds so in 6 months you are ready. Have fun with your pup, and good luck
One more thing, if you post your locaton and ask you will find some help with birds or a club. The fourm and its members
Is a great resorce

Thanks, I dont expect my pup to be ready to go til next year anyways, wont be born til late July early Aug. I am in central Illinois, and there is a local place that does guided hunts, maybe I can see if he will let me take the pup out there when he is a little older and just let him run around out there and get on some birds there.

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks for all the info, it has been some time since I have trained a new pup, they are all different. Some definitely catch on much faster that other breeds.
thanks for the info Pappy