GSP TRAINER Washington

WillieELk78GSP

GSP TRAINER Washington

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun May 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey everyone, i need some help i am getting a new pup and want to get it into training around 4 month but not sure who i should go through, i have talked to a few trainers and they all seem good but i just dont know. So i am asking you all who is the best trainer in western Washington? Anything helps thanks
God Bless

jwnissen

Re: GSP TRAINER Washington

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 13, 2012 8:20 pm

I know you are looking for western washington, but if you cant find one out there, look at Dunfur kennels in Cheney (outside Spokane). I am sending my GSP there in a couple weeks. He has extremely clean kennels and over 100 championships with his dogs. While there, without being asked, went and got 3 dogs that he just got done training and 1 that he had for a week, that sold my wife on sending her there. He trains all dogs, but "specializes" in GSP's. He likes to have the dogs for a week to see where they are and if they are ready to be trained. It acclimates them to his kennels and when they return they are ready to train in a short time. http://www.dunfur.com/ He charges 650 a month. There is another guy out of Moses Lake but he is 800 a month. I have his info if your interested. Hope this helps.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun May 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Dunfur would be Dan Hoke. Dans a super guy and very good trainer. If he doesn't have room contact Quicksilver Kennels in Moses Lake. Do a search on the kennel, I thinkm it's still in Moses lake. It's R.J. Marquart and he and Dan would be so close to the same you couldn't tell the difference, both soft trainer's. There's Coy Moore Moxee. I started hearing about him 20 some years ago and recently met him. I no nothing about him other than he's relatively close an a nice guy.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon May 14, 2012 6:53 am

These two posts have you on the right track.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon May 14, 2012 7:05 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:Hey everyone, i need some help i am getting a new pup and want to get it into training around 4 month but not sure who i should go through, i have talked to a few trainers and they all seem good but i just dont know. So i am asking you all who is the best trainer in western Washington? Anything helps thanks

Am I mis-reading or are you planning to take a four month old puppy to a trainer?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 am

Should be fine... Most puppy programs (intros) are find about 3-4 months. Safer to have a pro do it anyway.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Your headed down the right road,I use R.J. myself,he is in moses lake and does have a puppy program,I've had him break a bunch of dogs over the last 10 years.He's got a new thing he's been doing,started it last year,hauls his hunting dogs along to the NGSPA Sharptail trial the first weekend of september and then stays and hunts em till the first of october.Basically your gonna get back something that's allready been hunted alot,the early season jitters should all be worked out of em on them sharpies.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon May 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks guys, i have contacted them both and am talking to both guys in eastern washington, but i would like to find someone in western washington, i have heard of a guy named jim cockeran over here amy thoughts?
God Bless

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon May 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Any thoughts is what i ment to say
God Bless

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 pm

I've never heard of Cockeran. Doesn't mean much other than we know Dan And R.J. We know they will be right by you.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 pm

ya I got his name wrong earlier if you want to check him out his name is Jim cochran sporting dogs in fall city wa. I did speak to both dan and RJ so I am torn between all three because my cousin went through Jim and he loved him so, I just need to pick for myself, thanks for all the info guys
God Bless

AG74

Post by AG74 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:ya I got his name wrong earlier if you want to check him out his name is Jim cochran sporting dogs in fall city wa. I did speak to both dan and RJ so I am torn between all three because my cousin went through Jim and he loved him so, I just need to pick for myself, thanks for all the info guys

I also had someone recommend Jim Cochran at Carlson kennel in Fall City to me. I heard he is really good.

Good luck!

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 pm

I think i am going to go with jim cochran for training my new GSP pup!!! Thanks everyone for all the info
God Bless

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 am

Dan or Rj are great trainers but what are you looking to get done with such a young pup at a trainer that you can not do yourself? I have always been of the mind set that you let a puppy be a puppy. What is the big hurry?
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Oh ya the pup will be a pup but I was thinking around 4 to 6 months getting it into training. Wanted to reserve a spot for the training program. if I can
God Bless

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon May 21, 2012 6:18 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:Oh ya the pup will be a pup but I was thinking around 4 to 6 months getting it into training. Wanted to reserve a spot for the training program. if I can
Dan from Dunfur likes to take the pups for a week before you bring them to get trained. He likes to assess them and see if they are ready to be trained and to get them acclimated to his kennels. I really like that he does that so I dont have to par for 4 months of training because my dog isnt ready. I would ask the trainer you are using if he does anything like that and if you havent already, go take a tour of his kennels and talk to him face to face. Dan has probabally 30 to 40 dogs and not one of the kennels were dirty and I showed up unannounced. He actually got some dogs he just got done training, without us asking, and showed me what he does. That sold my wife and now she doesnt even question the money I will spend. Good Luck

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon May 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Yes jim cochran does do that same thing with the pups, i chose him because he is closer and i know family that has used them. When i talked to him he wants to see the pup a few times before he gets into the monthly training.
God Bless

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 am

Im in the same boat as you, my pup will be off to training at 5 months of age. why not start them early?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 am

Bberry20 wrote:Im in the same boat as you, my pup will be off to training at 5 months of age. why not start them early?
There is only so much you can do with a dog that young.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 pm

brad27 wrote:
Bberry20 wrote:Im in the same boat as you, my pup will be off to training at 5 months of age. why not start them early?
Brad, I hear ya, but for the amatuer, or first time gun dog owner, I'd feel much better having a pro do the intro to birds and intro to the gun. Pups are pretty impressionable at that age and if one wasn't confident in his abilities to train it, or introduce it, it could get screwed up pretty easily. I got a 9 m.o. "started" dog and didnt have to worry about any of those things. The advantage to having a pup and then sending it to a trainer for a "puppy intro" over started dog would be that you get to bond more with the pup in its early age. Hindsight being what it is, I'd have opted for the puppy intro option over the started dog option. Months 6-9 or 9-12 should be a great time to have a pro introduce birds, guns, etc... shouldn't it?

just an opinion.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:02 pm

AG74 wrote:
brad27 wrote:
Brad, I hear ya, but for the amatuer, or first time gun dog owner, I'd feel much better having a pro do the intro to birds and intro to the gun. Pups are pretty impressionable at that age and if one wasn't confident in his abilities to train it, or introduce it, it could get screwed up pretty easily. I got a 9 m.o. "started" dog and didnt have to worry about any of those things. The advantage to having a pup and then sending it to a trainer for a "puppy intro" over started dog would be that you get to bond more with the pup in its early age. Hindsight being what it is, I'd have opted for the puppy intro option over the started dog option. Months 6-9 or 9-12 should be a great time to have a pro introduce birds, guns, etc... shouldn't it?

just an opinion.
Agreed. I guess it was how it was worded that I was commenting on. If one doesn't feel confident in doing anything I believe they should seek help and/or advice. I didn't want anyone to think that if they sent a 5 month old dog to the trainers that it was coming back "trained" in 3 months. Most of the stuff done in puppy programs are about intro and exposure.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:57 am

Thats the reasoning behind me sending my pup, exposure! Being a busy time of year for myself i want my pup to have the basic puppy intro and exposure to birds, guns, water, etc. I know that he will not be "trained" but will have the exposures that i would not be able to do consistently. Thaks for the info, always nice to hears others opinions.

Brandon