i want to learn training hands on

ibbowhunting

i want to learn training hands on

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 pm

is there any groups that have training days in northern minnesota or maybe just somebody that just needs a extra hand plant birds or what ever on a odd weekends here or there just try to learn more about dog training,so i can train my pup,having only one pup is like puting all your eggs in one basket just want to get it right. i have perfect start/finish. i'm not much for books,thought about signing up for a geoge hickox 3day class almost a grand w/dog 8+ hrs travel, 3day off of work plus room and board just adds up ,i'm not say its not worth it though.
i think me and the dog are doing alright so far but the more i learn the better.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: i want to learn training hands on

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Check for your local NAVHDA group. Training all summer long in most clubs.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm

[quote="Ruffshooter"]Check for your local NAVHDA group. Training all summer long in most clubs.

i think thats my problem, i don't think there is any local NAVHDA groups in my area, i could be wrong

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat May 19, 2012 6:53 am

I did hickox I liked it so much I went back a year later. I missed Thursday friday and a Saturday at time and a half plus three hours drive and hotel for three days each time . It was worth it! It was not only informative it was a lot of fun. Think of it as your vacation .

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat May 19, 2012 7:59 am

If you like PS/PF, why don't you sign up for one of their clinics? The drive might be a bit farther, but if that's the method you're using, it would make sense to stick with that and attend one of their clinics. Give Jon or Cindy a call and discuss it - they're fairly accessible.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat May 19, 2012 8:50 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Check for your local NAVHDA group. Training all summer long in most clubs.
Rick
Even though they do have training groups I believe those clubs are for versatile breeds......

Your money would be better spent on sending the dog to a pro and going to get hands on every weekend.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 am

IB -

I know you said you are not much for books but I recommend that you get these three and read them over in the order presented. Training Pointing Dogs, by Paul Long would be first and Favorite Ways to Train Your Dog by Mark Payton second. Third would be Training with Mo by Martha Greenlee. Each book is VERY short, very cleanly and simply written and each gives clear description of the processes.

Reading all three books should take you, at most, three evenings and you will have a truly wide range and depth of knowledge on the subject. Oh and none of them is expensive either.

It can be very useful and enlightening, when following a particular method, to know what some of the OTHER options for getting to the same place happen to be. That knowledge can help you to understand how and why the method works the way it does.

I strongly recommend that you search out a knowledgeable trainer, such as a professional bird dog or serious amateur in your area and ask about private, one on one lessons. Spending a couple of days with a pro can help you to understand not only what to do and when to do it, but also the FEEL of it, both in your hands and your mind. The more dogs you see going through a lesson or exercise, the better you will understand how the dog is reacting ...and the signals the dog is sending , so the more you learn to "read" the dog, the easier it will become to read your own.

Get on the internet and find local field trial clubs, AKC, American Field, NSTRA, USCSDA, NBHA, it does not matter which. Get some contact numbers and start asking for help and referrals from local organizations. There might be a wealth of bird dog knowledge fairly close to you if you can find how to get to it. Field trial and hunt test organizations are always looking for new members and help at events. Even if you have zero interest in doing tests or trials, these kinds of contacts can be very good to have and you can learn a lot...just by watching. You would be surprised at what you can see when planting birds or guarding a road crossing, for example. besides, it is a day out with bird dogs and what is not to like about that. Someone who is willing to help at an event in exchange for learning and watching is a valuable asset. That is someone that generally "gets taken care of", at least where I compete.

Most often, if you are willing to help out a club at an event...there is someone there who will be willing to return the favor.

RayG

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat May 19, 2012 10:55 am

Navhda chapter contacts
http://www.navhda.us/chapterinfo.aspx

Chapter map
http://www.navhda.us/chaptmap.html

Though it doesn't look like there is a "local" chapter, I would bet you have navhda members in your local area, and training days should be held within a fairly easy drive. If the chapters up there are like ours here there will be some very helpful and knowledgeable folks who have experience in several venues not just navhda testing. And the price is right!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm

ultracarry wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Check for your local NAVHDA group. Training all summer long in most clubs.
Rick
Even though they do have training groups I believe those clubs are for versatile breeds......

Your money would be better spent on sending the dog to a pro and going to get hands on every weekend.
You might want to take a look at the list of dogs that are allowed to participate. Also a Brittany is a versatile dog. We have setters and pointers in our club. There are setters and pointers that have passed the UT and VC.

Some think because NAVHDA is a testing organization you have to test. Not true. Many just want to learn how to train their dogs and to be able to hunt effciently, different game.

Not to mention: the op wants to learn to train.

They may be able to hook you up with members that are closer to you. Many times individuals get together for training days. website: www.mnnavhda.com
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Do you belong to your local Brittany club? Some clubs are more active than others, but most have training days and you will make friends with people that have the same breed and interest. They often meet and have training days even though it is not a club function Here is some contact information Eileen Gust 763-389-7960 or eileen_carlos@msn.com

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Most good pros and a lot of good amateurs are very excited to see new people interested in the sport. Try to find some people locally and they will most likely enjoy having you come out and learn.
And you are correct, IMHO, that you will learn a whole lot more working one on one with a GOOD trainer that any book will teach you.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 am

Find a professional trainer, or a serious amateur that has several dogs. Contact them and offer to help them work dogs. Do whatever they need in exchange for watching them work dogs.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 am

IB -

It looks as if Minnesota has a fairly active and healthy corps of Brittany field trialers. I would suspect a fair contingent of hunt test folks as well. There are two AKC Brittany clubs in your state. I do not know where they are located relative to you, but I would be making some contacts. I suspect that many will be in and around the Minneapolis area, but you won't know until you check it out.

You might also check out CKC Brittany affiliates since you do live so close to Canada. Good luck to you and your dog.
Hope you find what you need.

RayG