Beginner

NCmedic

Beginner

Post by NCmedic » Tue May 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Hello everyone

I'm completley new to anything that has to do with gun dogs. However, I love to hunt and would love to share this experience with a gun dog.

I just bought an 11 week old Labrador Retriever and would like to train her but I do not know where to start. I did some reading on this forum but could never really find information that pertained to someone that has never done this before.

If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great. As of right now I'm getting her used to her new environment and I plan to work on basic obedience skills (come, sit, lay down, stay) with her next week.

I live in Charlotte, NC and if there are any gun dog trainers or mentors around that could help me I would love to have a chat with you guys.

Thanks!

Tyler North

FOWLMAN

Re: Beginner

Post by FOWLMAN » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

I like Dokkens Retreiver handbook...it's fairly cheap and takes you through the whole process from socialization to Hand Signals. You can go right to his website or Gundogsonline.com Good Luck on your new Pup.
More Geese Please...

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Highly suggest you join you either of these forums if you have a retriever and have questions....

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/index.php

NCmedic

Post by NCmedic » Wed May 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks for the replies! I ordered the book and will deff look at those forums, thanks for the suggestions.

I will be enrolling my pup in a puppy training class for basic obedience skills so she can get a handle on some of the basic tricks and some socialization.
What else should I be working on her as a young pup? I've seen people say just let her have fun and not try to do to much so I was just wondering.

FOWLMAN

Post by FOWLMAN » Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 am

Me personnally...I start with name recognition.& Basic obediance.Sit, Down,Stay & a lot of distractions instead of No...Make playtime fun. Get her adjusted to her new enviroment for a week or so and by that time you should have your book and follow that to the T & you should be good. Good luck.
More Geese Please...

NCmedic

Post by NCmedic » Thu May 24, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks. Another question I had... me and my wife want to get hey spayed but when is the right time for this? I don't want this to hinder any of her abilities or potentials so I want to make sure I do it right. What do yall think?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 24, 2012 11:02 am

Wait until she is at least a year old.

Socialization is the most important thing for the first 4 months.
Introduce her to everything you can think of - the car ride, motorcyles, people of other color, ( Sit outside a busy store and let customers greet your pup.)other friend's dogs that you have had their shots. (Don't let pup sniff other dogs poo until she has had her 3 shots.) horses if you plan to trial, cats etc....

http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/8 ... Puppy.aspx
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett