Hard headed Llew

frosso

Hard headed Llew

Post by frosso » Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 am

The conversation about soft dogs was really interesting. Anyone run into a hard headed Llew before? Mine is pretty willful. Since I'm new to training bird dogs I took her to a trainer. She coming along well in the field but any advice on how to deter the counter surfing and stealing. She will probably come home in June. I love her personality and I don't want to ruin that. She's eight months old.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

AzDoggin

Re: Hard headed Llew

Post by AzDoggin » Tue May 29, 2012 9:40 am

Hey frosso - surfing and stealing is an expected behavior in young dogs. What a world they are turned onto when they get tall enough to reach the countertops!!

Supervision is the key. Don't leave them loose in the house if you can't supervise. Tether the dog to your belt when you are around, or have him drag a cc or a leash. You need to capture the behavior in a "teachable moment" so you can correct it. Despite what your signature says, YOU are the boss of the house, so your dog needs you to step up and train him what he can and cannot do.

Just an FYI, there are some working dogs that are NEVER left to run free in the house. It's a privilege for the dog to be earned with responsible behavior. Since he doesn't know the difference, it's our job to teach them what's OK and what's not.

Have fun. Sounds like a great dog.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue May 29, 2012 11:34 am

If my dog counter surfed I'd give him a black eye too. :D . Check out the book culture clash by jean Donaldson you can get it on amazon it will help you a lot

frosso

Post by frosso » Tue May 29, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for the great advice folks. I've been too soft so I'm going to have to change my ways. She's just so darn cute. I'm going to be more deligent with the obedience work when she gets home. I was afraid to rein her in too much before she got excited about birds but apparently I didn't need to worry about her birdiness. I'm going to look up that book too! :idea:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 pm

as others have said supervision is key, but a quick shortcut for countersurfing is to get mouse traps and place the strategically on the counter so the dog hits it when they get up, even if they don't get their toes caught the noise will usally deter them.